• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpire appeals?

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think thats a dangerous path to go down. I can't see it doing anything to improve the performance of umpiring as whole and it will disrupt the flow of the game . The Descisions of umpires should be respected and accepted by the players and any complaints should be delt with off the field.

adharcric

International Coach
Close call there. Perhaps it might be a good idea ... the umpires would still command the game but they would have less of a negative impact in terms of incorrect decisions. Still, do you allow both the batting and bowling side to appeal? Otherwise, we could get rather skewed contests ... unless only bowling sides were given the appealing power, which might give bowlers an advantage in today's high scoring game.

Or maybe it's a bad idea after all ... :unsure:

adharcric

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
It will definently slow the game down, too much IMO.
Considering there would be a limited number of appeals, it shouldn't slow the game down too much right? Surely we can sacrifice a few minutes for one corrected decision per game when we spend more than that fixing sight screens and warning bowlers for running on the danger area.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I would rather have the poor decision, get myself out and relax in the pavilion. Thank You. This is just ridiculous.

pasag

RTDAS
I think it is working well in tennis. If every team has two appeals then why not? Especially when a bad decision can turn a match. Alot of people think the umpiring standards are not up to scratch these days, so perhaps it could be a wake up call for them to get their act into line.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The tennis argument is somewhat irrelevant, since those are factual appeals, there's no debate on where a ball lands.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
The tennis argument is somewhat irrelevant, since those are factual appeals, there's no debate on where a ball lands.
I don't understand. How is it any difference between tennis and cricket in terms of determining if the ball pitched outside leg? There's no debate where the ball lands? i still don't understand...

benchmark00

marc71178 said:
Pitching outside leg is far from the only issue.
Well im sure it'll be a big issue. What about whether it hit the bat or not... im sure more times than not you could tell. The tennis argument is far from irrelevant, they both can use hawk eye technology.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The Hawkeye argument is the irrelevance.

In Tennis it confirms where a ball lands.

In Cricket it has to predict.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
We are witnessing the first tentative steps of the birth of a new game - something that is remarkably but not completely unlike tea .... I mean cricket.

(apologies to fans of the late, great Douglas Adams).

No, no, no, no, no - this is the thin end of an abominable wedge.

Steulen

International Regular
I'm all in favour. Horrendous decisions get made, and accepting a decision that is clearly wrong just because it comes from an Authority is a very much outdated concept.
If this gets used to rectify LBW's that are actually edges, outside leg pitches or ouside off hits, and caught behinds that are not edges (to name the most common umpiring mistakes) I'm all for it!

Two appeals per team per match sounds about right.

benchmark00

marc71178 said:
The Hawkeye argument is the irrelevance.

In Tennis it confirms where a ball lands.

In Cricket it has to predict.
It's basically the same thing when determining if it hit the batsman outside the line. They're equally fallible.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Incorrect umpiring desicions are part of what makes cricket the game it is, the fact that things can be gotten so wrong yet be accepted is one of the things that people that dont know the game dont get. It also takes international cricket further away from the grass-roots where IMO the true game of cricket is being played.

cpr

International Coach
Hmm, good idea if we can trust players not to abuse it.

If a bowler can appeal for a decision, he should be able to appeal against it.

Of course, if they appeal and are blatently wrong for doing so.... 25 run penalty? Should make someone be absolutely clear before appealing.

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bad umpiring descisions are just a part of the game. It all evens out eventually, if you get a bad descision against you at some point you know that the same thing will happen to the other team down the line.

Steulen

International Regular
thedarkmullet said:
Bad umpiring descisions are just a part of the game. It all evens out eventually, if you get a bad descision against you at some point you know that the same thing will happen to the other team down the line.
Tell that to Stephen Fleming. Ball clips thigh, goes through to Boucher, appeal, out caught behind.

This happens too often to just let go... I say give them appeal rights. As for evening out, if the bowler feels he did get an LBW or nick, he should be able to appeal the decision too.