Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tendulkar to continue?

Tendulkar to continue?

Is it true that Sachin Tendulkar just signed over the rights to his name for what translated to more pounds that we could ever dream of earning...? And that he resigned a few contracts that mean he has to keep playing for another three years?

If so that's amazing. Tendulkar will play until he's 37. Hope he gets back into form though.

yes for 3 years

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    India batsman Sachin Tendulkar has signed a long-term commercial deal with an Indian talent management firm worth a reported $40 million.

Tendulkar, currently recovering from shoulder surgery, signed a three-year deal which can be extended by another three years, a senior official of Saatchi and Saatchi, whose Indian firm ICONIX signed the contract, said on Thursday.

Domestic media reports said the deal was worth around $40 million, a huge jump from his previous five-year endorsement deal worth $17 million, which ended late last year.

"Tendulkar is still young at 33, he has just scored his (world record) 35th test hundred and still runs around the pitch like a youngster," V.Shantakumar, managing director of Saatchi and Saatchi in India, told Reuters on Thursday.

"We think there is a lot more to come from him. We are not concerned about that," he said, referring to the possibility of injuries.

Saatchi and Saatchi is part of the French company Publicis Groupe, the world's fourth largest advertising group.

Tendulkar, India's most capped test cricketer, also holds world records for the most one-day runs and hundreds.

He remains India's most famous sportsman, having achieved one landmark after another since making his India debut as a 16-year-old in 1989.

In 1995, he signed a five-year deal worth $7 million, which was renewed until the end of 2005.

"I'm delighted to be the first client for this new venture," the player said in a statement.

Tendulkar has been in and out of the side in the last two years after a tennis elbow injury and ligament tear in his shoulder required surgery.

The Mumbai batsman underwent shoulder surgery in March and is set to resume batting in the nets in the next few days. He will miss the one-day series in West Indies this month but could make his comeback for the four-test series which follows.

Good for him. Though, I would have thought he would be worth more than $40 million. But I guess thats a lot of money in India. Thats about 1,792,799,987 rupees.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 04-05-2006 at 10:22 AM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    As an advertising deal, $40m over 3 years is a huge amount. I doubt there's many other sportsmen with that sort of deal.

I wonder what clauses are in there though, obviously if he stops playing the deal would be terminated, but what if he's dropped?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

An important note: Although the contract assumes that he will keep playing for three years, its an assumption, not a guarantee. A contract wouldn't be able to guarantee that he has to be picked for India for three years.

Most likely, he will retire at the age of 35 or so (maybe two years into the contract). Probably one year after the next WC, after a big test series, he will call it quits.

Gee that's a lot of money. And a huge jump from his previous contract too, which was in itself a lot of money.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Yes that is a huge, huge amount of money for a non soccer, non american sport.

Marc, even if he stops playing he is still worth his weight in gold and he will be for the rest of his life.

Its funny, I have actually heard of that Advetsing company Sacchi and Sacchi before, I think we were discussing it in Marketing. Anyways its always good to see a champion carry on.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    As an advertising deal, $40m over 3 years is a huge amount. I doubt there's many other sportsmen with that sort of deal.

I wonder what clauses are in there though, obviously if he stops playing the deal would be terminated, but what if he's dropped?
    With that kind of money, you'd imagine some of it drops on the BCCI just to secure he's selected for the next three years.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    With that kind of money, you'd imagine some of it drops on the BCCI just to secure he's selected for the next three years.
    BCCI are a lot richer than that....

Plus, Sachin has a crapload of money already.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178

I dont think it makes any difference. He is still a 'A' Grade contracted player with the Board and will remain so for next 4-5 years or until he himself decides to call it a day.

This contract means that this company will market him for various endorsments and get to keep all the amount it earns from those.

Does anyone know if Tendulkar is looking to adopt a 28 year old?? Because I'm volunteering myself.

His wife (Anjali) is pretty rich too. She is the daughter of some industrialist.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    Yes that is a huge, huge amount of money for a non soccer, non american sport.

Marc, even if he stops playing he is still worth his weight in gold and he will be for the rest of his life.

Its funny, I have actually heard of that Advetsing company Sacchi and Sacchi before, I think we were discussing it in Marketing. Anyways its always good to see a champion carry on.
    Saatchi and Saatchi were a big ad agency back in the eighties, still going strong now I think, they do a lot of high-class thought-provoking ads.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Oooh, a good consiracy theory there...

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion
    Does anyone know if Tendulkar is looking to adopt a 28 year old?? Because I'm volunteering myself.
    Depends what you can offer him.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information