• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar to continue?

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Is it true that Sachin Tendulkar just signed over the rights to his name for what translated to more pounds that we could ever dream of earning...? And that he resigned a few contracts that mean he has to keep playing for another three years?

If so that's amazing. Tendulkar will play until he's 37. Hope he gets back into form though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India batsman Sachin Tendulkar has signed a long-term commercial deal with an Indian talent management firm worth a reported $40 million.

Tendulkar, currently recovering from shoulder surgery, signed a three-year deal which can be extended by another three years, a senior official of Saatchi and Saatchi, whose Indian firm ICONIX signed the contract, said on Thursday.

Domestic media reports said the deal was worth around $40 million, a huge jump from his previous five-year endorsement deal worth $17 million, which ended late last year.

"Tendulkar is still young at 33, he has just scored his (world record) 35th test hundred and still runs around the pitch like a youngster," V.Shantakumar, managing director of Saatchi and Saatchi in India, told Reuters on Thursday.

"We think there is a lot more to come from him. We are not concerned about that," he said, referring to the possibility of injuries.

Saatchi and Saatchi is part of the French company Publicis Groupe, the world's fourth largest advertising group.

Tendulkar, India's most capped test cricketer, also holds world records for the most one-day runs and hundreds.

He remains India's most famous sportsman, having achieved one landmark after another since making his India debut as a 16-year-old in 1989.

In 1995, he signed a five-year deal worth $7 million, which was renewed until the end of 2005.

"I'm delighted to be the first client for this new venture," the player said in a statement.

Tendulkar has been in and out of the side in the last two years after a tennis elbow injury and ligament tear in his shoulder required surgery.

The Mumbai batsman underwent shoulder surgery in March and is set to resume batting in the nets in the next few days. He will miss the one-day series in West Indies this month but could make his comeback for the four-test series which follows.

Good for him. Though, I would have thought he would be worth more than $40 million. But I guess thats a lot of money in India. Thats about 1,792,799,987 rupees.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As an advertising deal, $40m over 3 years is a huge amount. I doubt there's many other sportsmen with that sort of deal.

I wonder what clauses are in there though, obviously if he stops playing the deal would be terminated, but what if he's dropped?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
An important note: Although the contract assumes that he will keep playing for three years, its an assumption, not a guarantee. A contract wouldn't be able to guarantee that he has to be picked for India for three years.

Most likely, he will retire at the age of 35 or so (maybe two years into the contract). Probably one year after the next WC, after a big test series, he will call it quits.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gee that's a lot of money. And a huge jump from his previous contract too, which was in itself a lot of money.

pasag

RTDAS
Yes that is a huge, huge amount of money for a non soccer, non american sport.

Marc, even if he stops playing he is still worth his weight in gold and he will be for the rest of his life.

Its funny, I have actually heard of that Advetsing company Sacchi and Sacchi before, I think we were discussing it in Marketing. Anyways its always good to see a champion carry on.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
As an advertising deal, $40m over 3 years is a huge amount. I doubt there's many other sportsmen with that sort of deal.

I wonder what clauses are in there though, obviously if he stops playing the deal would be terminated, but what if he's dropped?
With that kind of money, you'd imagine some of it drops on the BCCI just to secure he's selected for the next three years.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Samuel_Vimes said:
With that kind of money, you'd imagine some of it drops on the BCCI just to secure he's selected for the next three years.
BCCI are a lot richer than that....

Plus, Sachin has a crapload of money already.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

I dont think it makes any difference. He is still a 'A' Grade contracted player with the Board and will remain so for next 4-5 years or until he himself decides to call it a day.

This contract means that this company will market him for various endorsments and get to keep all the amount it earns from those.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Does anyone know if Tendulkar is looking to adopt a 28 year old?? Because I'm volunteering myself.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
pasag said:
Yes that is a huge, huge amount of money for a non soccer, non american sport.

Marc, even if he stops playing he is still worth his weight in gold and he will be for the rest of his life.

Its funny, I have actually heard of that Advetsing company Sacchi and Sacchi before, I think we were discussing it in Marketing. Anyways its always good to see a champion carry on.
Saatchi and Saatchi were a big ad agency back in the eighties, still going strong now I think, they do a lot of high-class thought-provoking ads.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Samuel_Vimes said:
Oooh, a good consiracy theory there...

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
I dont think it makes any difference. He is still a 'A' Grade contracted player with the Board and will remain so for next 4-5 years or until he himself decides to call it a day.

This contract means that this company will market him for various endorsments and get to keep all the amount it earns from those.
You know what's ridiculous, Ganguly still has a Grade A contract and Kartik got a Grade C contract again. At least if we go by what Rediff reports. So much money and they're not even playing for the national side.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
You know what's ridiculous, Ganguly still has a Grade A contract and Kartik got a Grade C contract again. At least if we go by what Rediff reports. So much money and they're not even playing for the national side.
That's correct. Infact BCCI made that decision around the Pakistan tour and I guess Mr. Pawar interfered to get Ganguly's name included in the Grade A list. So basically he gets 60000 USD without playing a single game.

Same with Kartik, although I think he is young and has missed out on so many opportunities so it is only fair that he atleast gets paid decently for a year. Gambhir is also in the contract list. I am surprised that Laxman is in the 'A' list when he plays only tests. I guess it has more to do with seniority than with the performance.

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
That's correct. Infact BCCI made that decision around the Pakistan tour and I guess Mr. Pawar interfered to get Ganguly's name included in the Grade A list. So basically he gets 60000 USD without playing a single game.

Same with Kartik, although I think he is young and has missed out on so many opportunities so it is only fair that he atleast gets paid decently for a year. Gambhir is also in the contract list. I am surprised that Laxman is in the 'A' list when he plays only tests. I guess it has more to do with seniority than with the performance.
Well I somewhat agree with guys like Laxman getting top grade contracts. It's a bit of a respect thing: for the same reason, I wouldn't give Shane Warne anything but a top grade contract in Australia. If it were up to me, I'd hand out contracts as follows:

Grade A
Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh, Anil Kumble, Irfan Pathan, VVS Laxman
Grade B
Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Ajit Agarkar
Grade C
Wasim Jaffer, RP Singh, Sreesanth, Munaf Patel, Suresh Raina, Gautam Gambhir, Ramesh Powar

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
As someone else pointed out, even if he did retire/get dropped before the contract expires, he's still a big enough figure for his company to get a lot of mileage out of him.

Whether that's $40m worth of mileage, I'm not so sure...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think mostly people who question whether he is worth $40m are people who haven't been to India (perhaps I am wrong). In any case, if single a Picasso painting just sold for $95 million, I think Sachin can manage $40 million. :laugh: