• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar to continue?

Craig

World Traveller
silentstriker said:
India batsman Sachin Tendulkar has signed a long-term commercial deal with an Indian talent management firm worth a reported $40 million.

Tendulkar, currently recovering from shoulder surgery, signed a three-year deal which can be extended by another three years, a senior official of Saatchi and Saatchi, whose Indian firm ICONIX signed the contract, said on Thursday.

Domestic media reports said the deal was worth around $40 million, a huge jump from his previous five-year endorsement deal worth $17 million, which ended late last year.

"Tendulkar is still young at 33, he has just scored his (world record) 35th test hundred and still runs around the pitch like a youngster," V.Shantakumar, managing director of Saatchi and Saatchi in India, told Reuters on Thursday.

"We think there is a lot more to come from him. We are not concerned about that," he said, referring to the possibility of injuries.

Saatchi and Saatchi is part of the French company Publicis Groupe, the world's fourth largest advertising group.

Tendulkar, India's most capped test cricketer, also holds world records for the most one-day runs and hundreds.

He remains India's most famous sportsman, having achieved one landmark after another since making his India debut as a 16-year-old in 1989.

In 1995, he signed a five-year deal worth $7 million, which was renewed until the end of 2005.

"I'm delighted to be the first client for this new venture," the player said in a statement.

Tendulkar has been in and out of the side in the last two years after a tennis elbow injury and ligament tear in his shoulder required surgery.

The Mumbai batsman underwent shoulder surgery in March and is set to resume batting in the nets in the next few days. He will miss the one-day series in West Indies this month but could make his comeback for the four-test series which follows.

Good for him. Though, I would have thought he would be worth more than $40 million. But I guess thats a lot of money in India. Thats about 1,792,799,987 rupees.
That's a lot of money anywhere.

Aside from those playing in the MLB, the NBA (I think those in the NFL and NHL would be on pretty big contracts, but depending on how good the player is I guess), I think Michael Shumacher and some of the elite F1 drivers would be on more money and I know before he retired - Lance Armstrong was earning around (IIRC) $25m USD per year, although he might still be earning that amount because he is still under contract with his team to the end of the year and his other endorsment deals still have a few years to run, expect his Nike one which expires at the end of the year.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
As someone else pointed out, even if he did retire/get dropped before the contract expires, he's still a big enough figure for his company to get a lot of mileage out of him.

Whether that's $40m worth of mileage, I'm not so sure...
Oh I think its definately worth. I am pretty sure that the company will recover 40 Mil in the first year itself and in the remaining two years they will make at least 2-3 times of that amount.

Craig

World Traveller
Well I haven't been to India yet (2011 WC is a good of time as any) so I can't say for sure, but given what I have read about and what I have seen on TV I have some idea on how big he is.

Despite what it used to be precieved when I used to post CC, I'm not that ignorant.

pasag

RTDAS
Read a time magazine article saying he is the most popular person in India at 50% and the next closest is their PM at 20%. (Figures are hazy though). Got to admire a country that clearly has their priorities in order. :laugh:

Craig

World Traveller
Not so if you are the PM :laugh:

If Tendulkar decided to run one day for PM of India I assume his cricketing ability would be a bonus for him even if he had a few dodgy policies?

Craig

World Traveller
Francis said:
I wonder how that compared, in quid, to Stevie Gerard's deal?
Per year approx I believe Tendulkar earns more then Gerrard (using US dollars).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Craig said:
Not so if you are the PM :laugh:

If Tendulkar decided to run one day for PM of India I assume his cricketing ability would be a bonus for him even if he had a few dodgy policies?

He'd win even if he ran for the Nazi party.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Craig said:
Well I haven't been to India yet (2011 WC is a good of time as any) so I can't say for sure, but given what I have read about and what I have seen on TV I have some idea on how big he is.
Right, but its more than just celebrity-big. It is really hard to imagine how much he is part of the indian psyche. Really, I mean take Jordan in the US in the 90's, or maybe Beckham in Europe....and times it by about 50. Add to that, India really has ONE sport and ONE hobby....its all cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Read a time magazine article saying he is the most popular person in India at 50% and the next closest is their PM at 20%. (Figures are hazy though). Got to admire a country that clearly has their priorities in order. :laugh:
You are not a quick lerner, are you ? You continue to show how stupid you really are and that you have no respect for others.

Generally in any country sportsmen(esp. if they are successful) are more popular than politicians. I would assume that a Shane warne will definately be more popular in Australia than John Howard and a Flintoff will definately be more popular than Tony Blair.

As for Our Prime Minister, He is one of the most Educated, well Informed, well balanced, Secular leaders in the world. Just because we dont put him in our Avtaar doesn't mean that he is not popular. The fact that Our PM is second with 20% votes is a testimoney to his popularity in India. Ask any Indian on this forum and he will tell you how good our prime minister really is.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
You are not a quick lerner, are you ? You continue to show how stupid you really are and that you have no respect for others.

Generally in any country sportsmen(esp. if they are successful) are more popular than politicians. I would assume that a Shane warne will definately be more popular in Australia than John Howard and a Flintoff will definately be more popular than Tony Blair.

As for Our Prime Minister, He is one of the most Educated, well Informed, well balanced, Secular leaders in the world. Just because we dont put him in our Avtaar doesn't mean that he is not popular. The fact that Our PM is second with 20% votes is a testimoney to his popularity in India. Ask any Indian on this forum and he will tell you how good our prime minister really is.

I think pasag was just kidding.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I think pasag was just kidding.
no i agree with sanz, i don't think he was...go and read some of his earlier posts on india....

Fusion

Global Moderator
Anil said:
no i agree with sanz, i don't think he was...go and read some of his earlier posts on india....
Yup. He's consistently taken shots at India in particular and the subcontinent in general. If you read his views in other threads, it will be a shock to those that are not close minded.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Yup. He's consistently taken shots at India in particular and the subcontinent in general. If you read his views in other threads, it will be a shock to those that are not close minded.
yeah i haven't seen too many people on here who are so blatantly bigoted....

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
I was just kidding. It was in a manner of respect. I thought it was cool that a cricketer is the number 1 popular person in the country. I think it would be cool if it would happen in this country as well.

Even when I complement India I get hammered.

For fear of being labeled racist, ignorant I will not post in any Indian threads ever again.