• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia "A" squad announced

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
http://cricket.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=37035

The side will play a series of one-day, four-day and Twenty20 matches in Cairns and Darwin, beginning in July.

Cullen Bailey (SA), Travis Birt (Tas), Mark Cosgrove (SA) Daniel Cullen (SA), Brett Dorey (WA), Brad Haddin (c) (NSW), Ben Hilfenhaus (Tas), Brad Hodge (vc) (Vic), James Hopes (Qld), Phil Jaques (NSW), Mitchell Johnson (Qld), Chris Rogers (WA), Shaun Tait (SA), Shane Watson (Qld)

I really like it. It's great to see Hilfenhaus and Cullen Bailey get a chance however you have to wonder where it leaves Cameron White.

howardj

International Coach
Great Birtannia said:
http://cricket.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=37035

The side will play a series of one-day, four-day and Twenty20 matches in Cairns and Darwin, beginning in July.

Cullen Bailey (SA), Travis Birt (Tas), Mark Cosgrove (SA) Daniel Cullen (SA), Brett Dorey (WA), Brad Haddin (c) (NSW), Ben Hilfenhaus (Tas), Brad Hodge (vc) (Vic), James Hopes (Qld), Phil Jaques (NSW), Mitchell Johnson (Qld), Chris Rogers (WA), Shaun Tait (SA), Shane Watson (Qld)

I really like it. It's great to see Hilfenhaus and Cullen Bailey get a chance however you have to wonder where it leaves Cameron White.
Cam White is out in the cold, I'd suggest. He's not doing enough of either (taking wickets/scoring runs) at present. Also, he chronically underbowls himself.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
howardj said:
Cam White is out in the cold, I'd suggest. He's not doing enough of either (taking wickets/scoring runs) at present. Also, he chronically underbowls himself.
It's not his fault. He doesn't captain Somerset.

howardj

International Coach
Just on Cam White - he bowls like Kumble (high arm, with not much turn) but lacks both the bounce and the accuracy. He either needs to acquire those two things, or turn the ball more, which he could only do with a different action (lower arm).

adharcric

International Coach
Can someone give a brief introduction to some of these guys that aren't yet internationally known, ie Bailey, Birt, Hilfenhaus and Rogers?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
not a bad squad, cant really say theyve left anyone out who deserves to be there, maybe Chris Hartley could have been in the squad as well as Haddin, but i dont think his numbers get him in there just yet...

adharcric

International Coach
I would've liked to see Moises Henriques in the squad, but I guess treating talented teenage phenoms so generously is only something that Indian selectors do.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
adharcric said:
Can someone give a brief introduction to some of these guys that aren't yet internationally known, ie Bailey, Birt, Hilfenhaus and Rogers?
Bailey, young spinner from SA, hes only played a handful of FC games, looks a good prospect.

Birt, left hand opening batsman, hits the ball very hard, hes from tasmania, this is his first call up to the A side.

Hilfenhaus, medium pacer also from Tassie, i dont know much about him, but i believe he had a good year in the pura cup.

Rogers, hes been around for a while, averages around 40 in FC for WA, hes probably always been considered a good chance of playing test cricket when he matures, but hes never really put enough good scores together in a row to be considered for higher honours until now...

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, The Hif has a nice, easy action.

Tubby Taylor, who rates The Hif, likened his action to McGrath.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Just on Cam White - he bowls like Kumble (high arm, with not much turn) but lacks both the bounce and the accuracy. He either needs to acquire those two things, or turn the ball more, which he could only do with a different action (lower arm).
hope to see him bowl for Somerset on Sky this summer to judge for myself but since he has become Victorian captain he has really underbowled himself & seems to be gradually losing it with the ball & is becoming a bat who can bowl a bit which is a bit disappointing.

Well predicted starting XI:

Jaques
Birt
Rodgers
Hodge
Watson
Cosgrove
Haddin
Cullen
Johnson
Tait
Dorey

looks stong & solid

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
I would've liked to see Moises Henriques in the squad, but I guess treating talented teenage phenoms so generously is only something that Indian selectors do.
yep that true I would admit i initially thought he had a chance of making the WC sqaud if he could have a good ING Cup season for NSW this year but to think about it usuallly they would send young stars to the academy & wait until they do something at domestic level to consider them. I expect by the 2007/08 he will be close to a OD call-up..

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
broncoman said:
not a bad squad, cant really say theyve left anyone out who deserves to be there
Griffith has been the leading wicket taker in the pura cup over the last two years. He is very similar to Dorey in that he is tall and gets that sharp bounce from high up but is barely medium fast and would be found out at International level. Still, he deserved a spot on numbers.

I think Bracken should have been selected. Yes he has a concrete spot in the one day side however he could still be useful in the ashes, especially first up at the Gabba and he needs to do more in the 4 day game to be in Ashes calculations IMO. Plus he is not playing county cricket so will have very little to do until the champions trophy.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
adharcric said:
P Jacques, C Rogers, M Cosgrove, B Hodge, T Birt, S Watson, B Haddin*+, B Dorey, M Johnson, D Cullen, S Tait

Is that a likely XI?
That would be mine. Birt struggled a bit against the new ball and only started making big runs when he was dropped down into the middle order.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say Bracken deserved a spot, but I like the squad all round. Interested to see how Johnson goes particularly, as he has a very important season ahead of him after some good showings for Australia. Dorey also needs to perform if he wants to be a serious test contender soon, as he hasn't taken his (few) chances in ODIs, it has to be in the longer form for the "A" team.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Cosgrove will bat above Watson I'd think.
well yea he could and should if i think about it presuming Watson does a big-allrounder role he should bat at 6

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:
That would be mine. Birt struggled a bit against the new ball and only started making big runs when he was dropped down into the middle order.
really?, must say i wasn't aware of that.