• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia "A" squad announced

Matt79

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
No, a lot of people said they would, but there is no knowing how an untried player will go when subjected to the pressures of International Cricket.
At their peak, which coincided with international cricket's most recent nadir, the NSW team included: Michael Slater, Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Michael Bevan, Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark, Brett Lee, Stuart McGill and Glenn McGrath. At that point, Stuart Clark and Bracken aside, they were all experienced international players, albeit that the Waughs and Slater were past their best. They'd would have been extremely competitive on the strength of McGrath and McGill's bowling alone, before you add in the other capable bowlers, and the batting would have held its own, if not dominated.

Much as I hate to admit it as a Vic.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
There not really the same type of bowler, Griffith isn't really a out and out swing bowler and can bowl at over 130 km/h.
ok, well probably the selectors want more youth.

pasag

RTDAS
MIck Lewis is 32, Dorey, Bracken and Griffith are all 28. Its scary what Australia considors young.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
I thought Clark, Braken, Lewis and Dorey are classed as youth, so wouldn't Griffith also be youth. :p
Who said that Clark, Bracken, Lewis and Dorey were youth? Dorey borders on it in cricketing terms, because he's so new to the game, but the rest are highly experienced.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Who said that Clark, Bracken, Lewis and Dorey were youth? Dorey borders on it in cricketing terms, because he's so new to the game, but the rest are highly experienced.
It was a joke, i remembered a lot of non Australia saying things like, Australia have good youth in Clark and Braken.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nnanden said:
Why? Hopes has shown at least some promise with his bowling and batting on the International stage.
White didn't get the chance, plus has done really well every time he's played for Aus "A".

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
It was a joke, i remembered a lot of non Australia saying things like, Australia have good youth in Clark and Braken.
Tony Greig, no doubt. :p

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
Cam White is out in the cold, I'd suggest. He's not doing enough of either (taking wickets/scoring runs) at present. Also, he chronically underbowls himself.
For a reason.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
Yeah, The Hif has a nice, easy action.

Tubby Taylor, who rates The Hif, likened his action to McGrath.
Tubby annoints anyone who can is tall the next McGrath, need I remind you of his comments on Noffke & Dorey.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Tubby annoints anyone who can is tall the next McGrath, need I remind you of his comments on Noffke & Dorey.
Hilfenhaus isn't that tall from what I remember, at least not as tall as McGrath, but he does have some McGrath-like qualities with his accuracy. Having said that, "the new McGrath" for Australia right now is much like the "new Botham" thing England used to have. Aside from Stuart Clark and perhaps Hilfenhaus, there aren't many bowlers around who are anything like McGrath.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Mister Wright said:
Don't forget Paul Rofe :)

Actually, he is another that could be a little stiff to be left out of the squad. Decent FC bowler.

howardj

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Least he anoints players from States other than the one from which he comes from, hey. :p