• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia "A" squad announced

adharcric

International Coach
Can't wait for India A and Australia A to face off in a few months.

R Uthappa, S Dhawan, R Sharma, V Rao*, S Badrinath, D Karthik+, J Sharma, R Jadeja, P Chawla, VRV Singh, RP Singh
versus
P Jacques, C Rogers, M Cosgrove, B Hodge, T Birt, S Watson, B Haddin*+, B Dorey, M Johnson, D Cullen, S Tait

Definitely watching that contest.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:
I think Bracken should have been selected. Yes he has a concrete spot in the one day side however he could still be useful in the ashes, especially first up at the Gabba and he needs to do more in the 4 day game to be in Ashes calculations IMO. Plus he is not playing county cricket so will have very little to do until the champions trophy.
yea for sure, but i got this feeling that the selectors these days only see him as OD material which is sad for the bloke.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
really?, must say i wasn't aware of that.
Birt seems hit and miss, he seems to make quite a few big scores, but a lot of low scores and not much in between, probably means his average is 5-10 less than it should be given ho well we have seen him bat...

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
broncoman said:
Birt seems hit and miss, he seems to make quite a few big scores, but a lot of low scores and not much in between, probably means his average is 5-10 less than it should be given ho well we have seen him bat...
Consistency isn't his strong suit. I said on the other thread that I liken him to Michael Slater, albeit a left handed version.

Travis Birt - Pura Cup 05/06:

48 and 0 v. Queensland @ Gabba
93 and 11 v. Victoria @ Bellerive
62 and 50 v. NSW @ SCG
11 and 32 v. WA @ WACA
140 and 52 v. SA @ Bellerive
5 and 38 v. SA @ Adelaide Oval
4 and 6 v. WA @ Bellerive
89 and 13 v. Vic @ Junction Oval
160 and DNB v. NSW @ Bellerive
36 and DNB v. Qld @ Bellerive

He actually batted at #4 or #5 all season, he didn't open at all.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
bracken, tait and henriques unlucky....

why do they persist with dorey. he's steven hithouse

Simon

Slats4ever said:

hows tait unlucky? hes in the squad :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
adharcric said:
I would've liked to see Moises Henriques in the squad, but I guess treating talented teenage phenoms so generously is only something that Indian selectors do.
Considering the entire sum of his career is what, 2 list A games, he's hardly worthy of a spot just yet...

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats4ever said:

They persist with Dorey because he was one of the best bowlers in the Pura Cup last season.

Slats4ever

marc71178 said:
Considering the entire sum of his career is what, 2 list A games, he's hardly worthy of a spot just yet...
the a team's all about experimenting with talent.. The guy is oozing with it. It'd be great for his development. Who knows he might be ripe by this summer and play in the ashes and outdo fred.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Since when has the A side been about that?

Surely it is about giving those who are next in line a chance to show what they're about - it always used to be.

Simon

marc71178 said:

Surely it is about giving those who are next in line a chance to show what they're about - it always used to be.
Australia mix it up a bit, Shaun Marsh, Mark Cosgrove etc... have all played in the A team when they've only had a handful of FC or List A games under their belt...

Slats4ever

marc71178 said:

i wouldn't be so sure!!! the selectors know what the other people are about! It's about blooding the youngsters.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
broncoman said:
Australia mix it up a bit, Shaun Marsh, Mark Cosgrove etc... have all played in the A team when they've only had a handful of FC or List A games under their belt...
Yeah but they had actually shown SOMETHING, if not for an extended period, at FC level. Henriques has bowled like 10 unflattering overs in 20-20 cricket. Pie in the sky stuff. I mean Hilfenhaus has only played 8 or so games but he has 40 odd wickets.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Some guys were already playing Test cricket by then.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Superb squad chosen by the selectors, wouldn`t change a player.

Don`t dare write off Dorey. Huge talent.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
who has been shown he clearly can't cut it at an international level.
How on earth has he shown that? He's had two bad ODIs, when he isn't even that good in the short form anyway. It was the Pura Cup he was excellent in last season, not the ING Cup.