• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best World Cup

The best worldcup?

• Total voters

Beleg

International Regular
Of all the worldcup's held so far, which one is your opinion was the best in terms of quality of play? The most memorable?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
'92 WC was by far and away the best IMO.

Great cricket and great players.

Imrans Cornered Tigers playing aggressive cricket, Botham throwing back the years to destroy the Aussies, NZ turning the world upside down.

Lara played great, Jonty was introduced to the world and cricket was in colour full time. Also add in the drama of the rain affected Eng v SA game than this WC had it all.

The only time I have ever really been captivated by the One Day game.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
1987 Reliance World Cup

It was the first world cup I watched and so far has been the best. Siddhu's amazing Sixes, Chetan's Hattrick, Gavaskar's century and then in Semi Graham gooch and Gatting sweeping their way to victory not to forget the solid bowling contributions of Eddie Hemmings and Neil Foster.

Both the host countries India and Pak reached Semis and people were hoping for an Ind-Pak showdown @edens but First Australia and then England beat us in the Semis to play in the best WC final ever. It indeed was one of the best and had Gatting not played that stupid reverse sweep, who knows England would probably have won that cup.

It was one of the weakest Australian ODI team ever but their world cup win sorta revived their cricket and brought up a new generation of fans and cricketing interest.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
1992 has been the worst WC ever, Thanks to D/L. I almost quit watching cricket after what happened in that SA/ENG match. It makes me mad every time I think about that stupid rule.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
1992 has been the worst WC ever, Thanks to D/L. I almost quit watching cricket after what happened in that SA/ENG match. It makes me mad every time I think about that stupid rule.
D/L only came in after the '92 WC to combat what happened.

Run rate was used in the '92 WC for rain affected games.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sanz said:
Comments like that make me angry. See Goughy's post for reasons.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
D/L only came in after the '92 WC to combat what happened.

Run rate was used in the '92 WC for rain affected games.
Okay Sorry about my ignorance of that rule, I thought it was some early version of D/L. My aim was not to criticize D/L rule as it is today but to whatever rule that was applied in 1992.

Neil, hope it calms you down. ;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
'83. India won it after being HUUUGE underdogs. When I was growing up, people didn't talk about the first test victory, the series victories against WI/ENG/AUS....it was 'remember that catch by Kapil Dev in the final?'

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
'92 WC was by far and away the best IMO.

Great cricket and great players.

Imrans Cornered Tigers playing aggressive cricket, Botham throwing back the years to destroy the Aussies, NZ turning the world upside down.

Lara played great, Jonty was introduced to the world and cricket was in colour full time. Also add in the drama of the rain affected Eng v SA game than this WC had it all.

The only time I have ever really been captivated by the One Day game.
I have nostalgic memories of '92 World Cup as Pakistan won it. However, I do think it in terms of quality of play, it has been the best World Cup. Tough call really as all World Cups I have seen have great matches and memories.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
99 for me. Two sides playing at a supremely high level with two of the best games you could hope to see to decide the final spot. The tied semi-final is almost certainly the greatest ODI ever seen, and the performances from the likes of Warne and Kluesener in the 99 WC are tough to match. The only complaint you could find in the tournament was that the best two teams didn't compete in the final, but that can't always be the case. Possibly the greatest fightback for a winning side as well, after Australia looked to have completely blown their chances with several early losses, and even some trouble against Scotland.

92 would probably be second, due to a very high standard of cricket and a much-celebrated format. I think a few things dragged that WC down a bit though, including the rained out match fiasco, the lack of New Zealand in the final and and prominence of some less entertaining styles of play, compared to the thrilling cricket in the 99 WC.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
99 for sure, the way how Australia played ton win the tournament lead by Warne superb bowling & Waugh batting, seeing the superb Pakistan team at the time, Klusener destroying bowler that stepped up along with the all-round superb display of the South African team. Zimbabwe playing with great courage.

Since i only saw glimpses of the 96 WC from the QF stage had some top matches, 2003 was a bit of a disappointed with the overall cricket, but Australia's dominance was a definite highlight.

Hopefully next year will be better..

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Shouldn't this thread be limited only to the world cups you have watched ? Seriously how can a cup be memorable when you haven't even watched it ?

Silentstriker, Did you watch World Cup 1983 and if you did do you remember anything about it ? or it is best just because India won it ?

adharcric

International Coach
1983 in terms of how much it has meant to the cricketing public.
I've only watched 2 World Cups though ... so really I don't know?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
1983 in terms of how much it has meant to the cricketing public.
I've only watched 2 World Cups though ... so really I don't know?
Bacchaa kahin ka. :laugh: :laugh: