Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Mohammad Zahid

  1. #1
    International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    4,066

    Mohammad Zahid

    http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/pakis...yer/41299.html

    Does anyone remember this guy? I was down at the cricket club today with some mates and a 16 year old from the first team. We got talking about all the pros we've had at Liverpool,

    06- SS Das
    05- Grant Robinson
    04- Francois DuPlessis
    03- ?

    We all joined the club at the same year, 04, so none of us knew who we had in 03. Anyway, we made the first teamer go and ask one of the other players (fresh of the back of being rolled for 38 by Reon King) and it turned out to be Mohammad Zahid. Our mate asked how good he was, and they said he used to play for Pakistan and was pretty handy. 'How fast did he bowl?' '100MPH regulary' ' '

    Two of us don't believe it at all, but our mate who asked says it's true.

    So, to settle this argument, how fast is Mohammad Zahid?

  2. #2
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    12,300
    Quote Originally Posted by open365
    http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/pakis...yer/41299.html

    Does anyone remember this guy? I was down at the cricket club today with some mates and a 16 year old from the first team. We got talking about all the pros we've had at Liverpool,

    06- SS Das
    05- Grant Robinson
    04- Francois DuPlessis
    03- ?

    We all joined the club at the same year, 04, so none of us knew who we had in 03. Anyway, we made the first teamer go and ask one of the other players (fresh of the back of being rolled for 38 by Reon King) and it turned out to be Mohammad Zahid. Our mate asked how good he was, and they said he used to play for Pakistan and was pretty handy. 'How fast did he bowl?' '100MPH regulary' ' '

    Two of us don't believe it at all, but our mate who asked says it's true.

    So, to settle this argument, how fast is Mohammad Zahid?
    When he first came out on the scene, I remember reading reports that he was faster than Shoaib Akhtar, so he bowled around 100 mph or more. As with other "phenoms" of Pak Cricket History, he sadly disapeared from the scene. Not many countries have wasted talent like Pak!

  3. #3
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Does anyone remember this guy?
    Would've been the next great bowler in Wasim-Waqar league if his back and knee didnt blow up so early in his career and if it wernt for Pakistani politics.
    Outrageously fast ( one of the fastest bowlers i've ever seen) and utterly dominated Lara with his pace and movement back in the mid-late 90s. Thats saying something!

  4. #4
    International Coach Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    10,118
    Yes, he was actually faster then Akhtar.

    I remember in the late 90,s there was always heated debate in Pak cricket circles that who will make it big Zahid or Shoaib ,many felt it would be Zahid since he was quicker and got more lift then Shoaib .Unfortunatley got injured and never recovered despite trying a brief comeback.

    Infact i believe Lara has said that he is the quickest he had ever faced. Do any one over here remember the blistering over Zahid bowled to Lara in 96 VB series.
    Last edited by Xuhaib; 01-05-2006 at 02:04 PM.


  5. #5
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Do any one over here rember the blistering overZahid bowled to Lara in 96 VB series.
    I do. Apart from a few spells from Holding,Waqar and Akhtar, i dont think i've ever seen anyone bowl THAT fast.

  6. #6
    International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    4,066
    Wow, so he really was the quickest bowler in the world?

  7. #7
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Quote Originally Posted by open365
    Wow, so he really was the quickest bowler in the world?

    In the few games he played, he was easily the quickest bowler in the world. Not to mention, he got outrageous bounce and didnt spray it around like Lee or a young Akhtar did.

    Two bowlers i think who would've made the alltime great list if they didnt get decimated by injuries so early and fall victim to selection politics : Ian Bishop and Mohammad Zahid.

  8. #8
    U19 Debutant chekmeout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    349
    Interesting stuff.. I hadn't even heard of him prior to this... Is he the guy Rameez Raja talks about in the BSNL Eurasia thing?
    Founder & President of VSAS

  9. #9
    International Coach Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    10,118
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    In the few games he played, he was easily the quickest bowler in the world. Not to mention, he got outrageous bounce and didnt spray it around like Lee or a young Akhtar did.

    Two bowlers i think who would've made the alltime great list if they didnt get decimated by injuries so early and fall victim to selection politics : Ian Bishop and Mohammad Zahid.
    Cant agree more.On the topic of Bishop in the early 90's Bishop was as lethal as Amby with Walsh being a good-ish first change.

  10. #10
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib
    Cant agree more.On the topic of Bishop in the early 90's Bishop was as lethal as Amby with Walsh being a good-ish first change.
    Yup.
    Infact, Bishop outshone Ambrose till he broke his back in two places in the early 90s....the common consensus in the caribbean at that time was that Walsh is a good 'support bowler' for Ambrose and Bishop- two alltime candidates,with most rating Bishop even better.
    Ambrose was more accurate than Bishop-always was. But Bishop was significantly faster ( which is no joke as Ambrose was outrageously fast in the late 80s/early 90s) and got more movement than Ambrose off the pitch.

  11. #11
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,127
    Believe he dominated New Zealand on Test debut where he grabbed 11 wickets?!

    Geez Pakistan know how to produce them, unfortunatly preventing them flopping for whatever reason is the key IMO.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  12. #12
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898
    Quote Originally Posted by chekmeout
    Interesting stuff.. I hadn't even heard of him prior to this... Is he the guy Rameez Raja talks about in the BSNL Eurasia thing?
    I think you may be thinking of Mohammad Irshad, who plays for the A team. No relation between the two ... besides, Irshad was very unimpressive and lacked pace against India A for some reason.

  13. #13
    International Debutant Slifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,916
    Yes I saw that Zahid guy in that very VB series back in 1996 and boy was he hostile. Seriously, what ever became of him? Has he totally stopped playin cricket?
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

  14. #14
    International Regular Beleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,450
    I remember the 11-fer. That was some cool stuff.

    I think he did play again during the early 2000's. However, by that time, injuries had reduced him to a shadow of what he had earlier been.

  15. #15
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    29,569
    He seemed to be a pretty skiddy bowler from what I remember. And his run-up was ridiculously long, came halfway off the logo at straight hit.

    My most vivid memory of Ian Bishop is how much he swang the ball - not only before it reached the batsman, but once it went past him too. I didn't envy Junior Murray trying to take those curveballs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can you beat for the cricket guru title?
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7351
    Last Post: 30-07-2019, 09:45 AM
  2. Mohammad Asif
    By RolledOver in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 11-04-2006, 12:04 PM
  3. Sim 1 Trophy
    By Jamee999 in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20-08-2004, 06:31 AM
  4. **Official** Asia Cup 2004 Thread
    By Deja moo in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 574
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 11:19 AM
  5. Cricket Memoribilia
    By SOL in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-06-2004, 12:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •