• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Zahid

open365

International Vice-Captain
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/41299.html

Does anyone remember this guy? I was down at the cricket club today with some mates and a 16 year old from the first team. We got talking about all the pros we've had at Liverpool,

06- SS Das
05- Grant Robinson
04- Francois DuPlessis
03- ?

We all joined the club at the same year, 04, so none of us knew who we had in 03. Anyway, we made the first teamer go and ask one of the other players (fresh of the back of being rolled for 38 by Reon King) and it turned out to be Mohammad Zahid. Our mate asked how good he was, and they said he used to play for Pakistan and was pretty handy. 'How fast did he bowl?' '100MPH regulary' ':-O '

Two of us don't believe it at all, but our mate who asked says it's true.

So, to settle this argument, how fast is Mohammad Zahid?

Fusion

Global Moderator
open365 said:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/41299.html

Does anyone remember this guy? I was down at the cricket club today with some mates and a 16 year old from the first team. We got talking about all the pros we've had at Liverpool,

06- SS Das
05- Grant Robinson
04- Francois DuPlessis
03- ?

We all joined the club at the same year, 04, so none of us knew who we had in 03. Anyway, we made the first teamer go and ask one of the other players (fresh of the back of being rolled for 38 by Reon King) and it turned out to be Mohammad Zahid. Our mate asked how good he was, and they said he used to play for Pakistan and was pretty handy. 'How fast did he bowl?' '100MPH regulary' ':-O '

Two of us don't believe it at all, but our mate who asked says it's true.

So, to settle this argument, how fast is Mohammad Zahid?
When he first came out on the scene, I remember reading reports that he was faster than Shoaib Akhtar, so he bowled around 100 mph or more. As with other "phenoms" of Pak Cricket History, he sadly disapeared from the scene. Not many countries have wasted talent like Pak!

C_C

International Captain
Does anyone remember this guy?
Would've been the next great bowler in Wasim-Waqar league if his back and knee didnt blow up so early in his career and if it wernt for Pakistani politics.
Outrageously fast ( one of the fastest bowlers i've ever seen) and utterly dominated Lara with his pace and movement back in the mid-late 90s. Thats saying something!

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yes, he was actually faster then Akhtar.

I remember in the late 90,s there was always heated debate in Pak cricket circles that who will make it big Zahid or Shoaib ,many felt it would be Zahid since he was quicker and got more lift then Shoaib .Unfortunatley got injured and never recovered despite trying a brief comeback.

Infact i believe Lara has said that he is the quickest he had ever faced. Do any one over here remember the blistering over Zahid bowled to Lara in 96 VB series.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Do any one over here rember the blistering overZahid bowled to Lara in 96 VB series.
I do. Apart from a few spells from Holding,Waqar and Akhtar, i dont think i've ever seen anyone bowl THAT fast.

C_C

International Captain
open365 said:
Wow, so he really was the quickest bowler in the world?

In the few games he played, he was easily the quickest bowler in the world. Not to mention, he got outrageous bounce and didnt spray it around like Lee or a young Akhtar did.

Two bowlers i think who would've made the alltime great list if they didnt get decimated by injuries so early and fall victim to selection politics : Ian Bishop and Mohammad Zahid.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Interesting stuff.. I hadn't even heard of him prior to this... Is he the guy Rameez Raja talks about in the BSNL Eurasia thing?

Xuhaib

International Coach
C_C said:
In the few games he played, he was easily the quickest bowler in the world. Not to mention, he got outrageous bounce and didnt spray it around like Lee or a young Akhtar did.

Two bowlers i think who would've made the alltime great list if they didnt get decimated by injuries so early and fall victim to selection politics : Ian Bishop and Mohammad Zahid.
Cant agree more.On the topic of Bishop in the early 90's Bishop was as lethal as Amby with Walsh being a good-ish first change.

C_C

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
Cant agree more.On the topic of Bishop in the early 90's Bishop was as lethal as Amby with Walsh being a good-ish first change.
Yup.
Infact, Bishop outshone Ambrose till he broke his back in two places in the early 90s....the common consensus in the caribbean at that time was that Walsh is a good 'support bowler' for Ambrose and Bishop- two alltime candidates,with most rating Bishop even better.
Ambrose was more accurate than Bishop-always was. But Bishop was significantly faster ( which is no joke as Ambrose was outrageously fast in the late 80s/early 90s) and got more movement than Ambrose off the pitch.

Craig

World Traveller
Believe he dominated New Zealand on Test debut where he grabbed 11 wickets?!

Geez Pakistan know how to produce them, unfortunatly preventing them flopping for whatever reason is the key IMO.

adharcric

International Coach
chekmeout said:
Interesting stuff.. I hadn't even heard of him prior to this... Is he the guy Rameez Raja talks about in the BSNL Eurasia thing?
I think you may be thinking of Mohammad Irshad, who plays for the A team. No relation between the two ... besides, Irshad was very unimpressive and lacked pace against India A for some reason.

Slifer

International Captain
Yes I saw that Zahid guy in that very VB series back in 1996 and boy was he hostile. Seriously, what ever became of him? Has he totally stopped playin cricket?

Beleg

International Regular
I remember the 11-fer. That was some cool stuff.

I think he did play again during the early 2000's. However, by that time, injuries had reduced him to a shadow of what he had earlier been. :(

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He seemed to be a pretty skiddy bowler from what I remember. And his run-up was ridiculously long, came halfway off the logo at straight hit.

My most vivid memory of Ian Bishop is how much he swang the ball - not only before it reached the batsman, but once it went past him too. I didn't envy Junior Murray trying to take those curveballs.

Craig

World Traveller
Beleg said:
I remember the 11-fer. That was some cool stuff.

I think he did play again during the early 2000's. However, by that time, injuries had reduced him to a shadow of what he had earlier been. :(
His last Test was at Cape Town against South Africa on the new year's day Test match in 2003 where Graeme Smith and Herschelle Gibbs went to town that day (although the amount of dropped catches was farcial).