• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batting Partner

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If you want one International Cricketer to be your batting partner, who is he going to be ?

For me, it will be Rahul Dravid. The guy is not only a great batsman but a great motivator as well, the way he encourages his teammates, protects them and takes responsibility when needed is simply amazing.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Inzy. I know that if I feel like having a rest at any stage, he can run me out. :D

I'd go for Dravid too though.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Actually, I reckon Lou Vincent would be fun to bat with - he seems like a fairly jovial bloke who would be pointing out cute girls in the crowd between overs.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bevan. Because, lets face it, I'm probably not going to last long out there, and he's a genius at farming the strike. The longer I get to stay out in the middle, the better.

C_C

International Captain
Tendulkar or Gillchrist in ODIs and Sehwag or Viv in Tests.

Reasoning : I aint batting higher than # 7 in either format of the game and given those guy's batting position, if i get to bat with them, its pretty much 9/10 times they are in in total annihilation and strike-farming mode.
They can continue putting the fear of God in bowlers while i potter around for a while and start chancing my arms against the demoralised bowlers. ( Much in the same way how Holding batted with Viv a couple of times or Tendy and Robin Singh did in ODIs).

oz_fan

International Regular
In the current generation - Dravid: Reliable, doesnt throw his wicket away.
Kallis: Same as Dravid
Hussey

All time: Bradman and Viv Richards

Craig

World Traveller
Jason Gillespie.

Let's face it he does have a 201* no matter how unlikely it was (and he did have a 50 or two before that knock anyway).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan / S. Waugh / Hussey. Hard to get out, can build a partnership with. Encouraging and give you confidence through their own ability. Would love to bat with them.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Bevan / S. Waugh / Hussey. Hard to get out, can build a partnership with. Encouraging and give you confidence through their own ability. Would love to bat with them.
Thank you.

Steve Waugh's my pick and he's a pretty easy pick for me. Never abandoned you at the crease, always supportive and talking, never taking a stupid run. Most of his centuries were played with the tail. Think about how many centuries Waugh made and he bats down the order and often with the tail. That's tough.

I don't quite know how to judge Steve Waugh, on one hand he batted with the tail and under the most extreme pressurising situations and it never once affected him. Definitely the coolest head in cricket I've ever seen. On the other hand he did often play when the ball was old and not moving a lot. Tough to say if he's one of the 20 best cricketers ever. Probably not for me.

In ODI's it's Bevan. He'd give me a heart attack the way he runs. Reads a situation well too. In fact really it's no contest in ODI's, it's Bevan hands down. What's amazing is that he should have run more guys out because he's so fast, yet he never did.

Hussey's the best today... but you can't call him as great as the others since he's only been playing... well not even a year in tests. Great partner. Him making a century partnership with Stuart MacGill where MacGill only contributed 10 runs was astonishing. Every bit as dramatic as Mark Nicholas made it out to be. No way anybody should be able to get runs like that with that kind of crap.

Really the bloke above me stole all my choice and honourable mentions.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Francis said:
Thank you.

Steve Waugh's my pick and he's a pretty easy pick for me. Never abandoned you at the crease, always supportive and talking, never taking a stupid run
Hmmm

(I do agree with you tough, they'd be my picks)