• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 World Cup Bid Vote - Another chance

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
For the 2007 World Cup Windies, India, England and Australia were put into different groups by the ICC, so my guess would be the same would apply for 2011 WC.
I dont think it is going to be that way in 2011 WC. I am pretty sure BD would be a much better team by then and will be in a position to negotiate with India and Pak. That said I dont think they are going to get SF and Final.

IMO India, Pakistan, SriLanka and Bangladesh will be in 4 different pools, with India and Pakistan getting the Semis and SriLanka getting the Final. At least that is what I think should happen because India and Pakistan have already hosted finals in 1987 and 1996. It is SriLanka's turn to host one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly think that Australia/NZ should have won this bid. But if the voting was 10-3, then it is a large margin, although I am inclined to feel there was a bit of give and take involved. I suspected something like this even in the other thread that was closed. Having said all that, I think this gives a lot of options to cricket lovers around the world as well. By 2011, hopefully the infrastructure in Asia would have improved even further and if the currency values remain around the same rate, a lot of you guys can come here and enjoy the WC. Just get a good travel agent who can get you good flights and the right hotels and you will love it, I tell you. It is not the best in the world, but it most certainly is not the worst as some people may make it out to be.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I think our good friend Archie needs to create an award for turning a serious thread and going off topic :laugh:
Hey, it's better than the way the original thread turned out!

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Congrats to India/Pak/SL/Bang... Being an Asian, I felt it was fair to award this WC to the Australia/NZ simply because of a policy of rotation.. But well, I ain't compaining either way! :D

Though I do think Pawar's claims to 1 in 3 WC's to be a little too much....

C_C

International Captain
But at least one person in the world thinks Chennai can host a WC final. You have made my day.
I've always liked the Chennai crowd. They've always been superbly sporting-unparallelled really and an overall excellent cricketing venue.

Fusion

Global Moderator
C_C said:
I've always liked the Chennai crowd. They've always been superbly sporting-unparallelled really and an overall excellent cricketing venue.
I 2nd that. One of the best memories I have is watching the Chennai crowd give the Pakistani team a standing ovation after their win in '98.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
As much as I would love to watch a WC final in person, I don't think it will happen.

But at least one person in the world thinks Chennai can host a WC final. You have made my day. :)
I would vote for Chennai to host WC final. ( * its closer to SL and its a wonderful City *:) )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
I dont think it is going to be that way in 2011 WC. I am pretty sure BD would be a much better team by then and will be in a position to negotiate with India and Pak. That said I dont think they are going to get SF and Final.

IMO India, Pakistan, SriLanka and Bangladesh will be in 4 different pools, with India and Pakistan getting the Semis and SriLanka getting the Final. At least that is what I think should happen because India and Pakistan have already hosted finals in 1987 and 1996. It is SriLanka's turn to host one.
I agree with this 200% percent . :laugh:

* will dream about it for a while and pray that it becomes reality *:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
The ICC desides the format of the World Cup and other events i.e Champions Trophy and Under 19 WC. The host have no control, South Africa didn't decided to increase the number of teams from 12 to 14 and Windies didn't decide to increase 14 to 16. The ICC made those choices, i thought it was common knowleage. I have no article though to prove it.
ICC decides the number of Teams and the process by which they make the WC.

But the format, IIRC is a matter of negotiation and agreement between the organising country/ies and the ICC .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
I think they've said that India will host the final.
Then I hope SL will get a Semi Final at least . (or a minimum of 2 QF if India gets Semi and Final )

C_C

International Captain
I think India will get the biggest chunk of the games and thats fair really- not only do they have the biggest fan-base in cricket, they have significantly more venues than any other nation.... I'd like to see the group-stage matches distributed fairly evenly with India getting the lion's share of super-six matches (if that is the format kept) and the finals- with the semis being hosted in Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

James

Cricket Web Owner
2 billion viewers for the 2011 World Cup India are predicting - wow!

Inderjit Singh Bindra said:
He says they only had to stress that cricket is a religion in their part of the world, everything else is secondary.

Bindra says traffic will come to a stop in the four countries in 2011, there will be more than a billion TV viewers in the sub-continent, and another billion in the rest of the world.