• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 World Cup Bid Vote - Another chance

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
C_C said:
it doesnt negate the idea that you are petty on this matter.
What makes my point of view petty? I absolutely adore cricket, have done since I was five, and I would love to have a World Cup on my doorstep. Excuse me, but the fact that some expats in the US can't attend any International games isn't my concern, and doesn't neutralise my right to be disappointed by events, nor my right to express that.

Either way, I'm not going to get into another flame war with you. Back to the topic.

Dick Rockett

chaminda_00 said:
The format changed - 4 Groups > Super 8s > SF > F
I know that, I was pointing out my preference. The format you mentioned is being used for the upcoming event, but I wasn't aware whether or not the Asians had expressed a preference?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
I know that, I was pointing out my preference. The format you mentioned is being used for the upcoming event, but I wasn't aware whether or not the Asians had expressed a preference?
They have no real say, its up to the ICC...

Dick Rockett

chaminda_00 said:
They have no real say, its up to the ICC...
Really? Are you sure? Do you have a link to any articles? Not saying I don't believe you, I'm just a bit surprised.

C_C

International Captain
mundaneyogi said:
What makes my point of view petty? I absolutely adore cricket, have done since I was five, and I would love to have a World Cup on my doorstep. Excuse me, but the fact that some expats in the US can't attend any International games isn't my concern, and doesn't neutralise my right to be disappointed by events, nor my right to express that.

Either way, I'm not going to get into another flame war with you. Back to the topic.
I dont wish to debate whether your point of view is petty or not ( i think it is but as you 'wisely' said, lets not get into a flame war). I am commenting on the idea that the comment 'get some perspective' is a hypocritical argument- which it doesnt have to be by default as you seem to be implying.

C_C

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
I don't think there are any QF actually, its the Super 8. So SL and BD will get group matches and Super 8s and Pakistan, India will have the semis and final. I can't see them allowing us to have a semi.

I would like to see the group and super-six stages spread proportionately amongst all the four nations and SL and PAK hosting the semi finals with the finals being held in India.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
Really? Are you sure? Do you have a link to any articles? Not saying I don't believe you, I'm just a bit surprised.
The ICC desides the format of the World Cup and other events i.e Champions Trophy and Under 19 WC. The host have no control, South Africa didn't decided to increase the number of teams from 12 to 14 and Windies didn't decide to increase 14 to 16. The ICC made those choices, i thought it was common knowleage. I have no article though to prove it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm guessing that they'll base each of the four groups in a different country?

If so, it'll be interesting to see how they do the groupings. It'd be a massive let down if you ended up having two Asian nations in the one group, so then they didn't play in front of their home ground. Either manipulation of how the teams are grouped, or they'll just have teams travelling everywhere.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I'm guessing that they'll base each of the four groups in a different country?

If so, it'll be interesting to see how they do the groupings. It'd be a massive let down if you ended up having two Asian nations in the one group, so then they didn't play in front of their home ground. Either manipulation of how the teams are grouped, or they'll just have teams travelling everywhere.
For the 2007 World Cup Windies, India, England and Australia were put into different groups by the ICC, so my guess would be the same would apply for 2011 WC.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
So is 2011 now on the list as well.

IMO (even though England have it in 2019 so it probably is hypothetical but what the hell) had their been a rotation policy in place it would be this:

2011 - Asia
2015 - Australia/New Zealand
2019 - Southern Africa
2023 - West Indies
2027 - England
2031 - Asia (and repeat process)

Although come 2031 I will be 46 by then and I dere not think that far ahead :p

Disscuss.
No, if ICC had followed the rotation it would have gone:

2011 - Anzac
2015- Asia
2019 - England
2023 - Saffie
2027 - WIndies
2031- Anzac.

But now I guess it'll go:

2011 - Asia
2015- Anzac
2019 - England
2023 - Saffie
2027 - WIndies
2031- Asia

Dick Rockett

chaminda_00 said:
The ICC made those choices, i thought it was common knowleage./QUOTE]
I guess not. Anyway, that surprises me. It seems weird to say "right, you decide on the venues, arrange the logistics, organise the dates, etc, etc, but we'll tell you in what order you should play the actual games". I thought it was like hosting the Olympics, when the hosts decide which sports are in or out. Oh well.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jamee999 said:
But now I guess it'll go:

2011 - Asia
2015- Anzac
2019 - England
2023 - Saffie
2027 - WIndies
2031- Asia
Nah. Asia have said they want to host every third, so it'll be

2011 Asia
2015 Anzac
2019 England (with assorted European neighbourhoods)
2023 Asia
2027 Saffie
2031 WI
2035 Asia

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
Nah. Asia have said they want to host every third, so it'll be

2011 Asia
2015 Anzac
2019 England (with assorted European neighbourhoods)
2023 Asia
2027 Saffie
2031 WI
2035 Asia

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Always repeat :laugh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
England shouldn't get one until South Africa and the West Indies have hosted another...
Could we ask why, seeing as South Africa held the last one and the West Indies are holding the next?

Would that be anything to do with the fact that we had the first three? If that's the case, then should the last Olympics have been held in Greece? After all, they held them every year from 776 BC until 394 AD - that's 11 centuries worth.

;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
I would like to see the group and super-six stages spread proportionately amongst all the four nations and SL and PAK hosting the semi finals with the finals being held in India.
Logically they could host one group in each country (presumably seeding the 4 hosts so they end up at home?)

That would be a nice fair split of it, but I have my doubts as to if that will actually happen.