Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 World Cup Bid Vote - Another chance

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Not necessarily.

Its pointing out that your perspective in this matter is quite narrow according to the said poster. Which is a perfectly fine perogative. No one said that one has to be 'perfect' to adopt a 'geat a perspective' argument ( I bet you've got that talk sometime or another from your parents in your lifetime and chances are you didnt call them hypocrites). This is a classic case of 'shooting the messenger and not listening to the message itself'.
    You're missing the point I was trying to make, which is: as soon as one advises another to "get some perspective", they're a hypocrite because absolutely everyone is guilty of getting upset over something relatively petty, on a regular basis.

It's the old "practice what you preach" cautionary tale.

EDIT: My comment was never intended as a criticism of adharcric either.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Quote Originally Posted by mundaneyogi
    You probably shouldn't think about it. My clairvoyant tells me you're due to be killed in a freak yachting accident before then.

Oops.
    Well if I can achieve one of my fantasy's by then I will be a happy happy man
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    I don't think there are any QF actually, its the Super 8. So SL and BD will get group matches and Super 8s and Pakistan, India will have the semis and final. I can't see them allowing us to have a semi.
    Well realistically that would happen I was trying to have a perfect world sort of thing happening since Sri Lanka are the most recent Asian World Cup winners.

(See we can have a proper discussion over this)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Well realistically that would happen I was trying to have a perfect world sort of thing happening since Sri Lanka are the most recent Asian World Cup winners.

(See we can have a proper discussion over this)
    I think there's a fair few Antipodeans on here who might have a slightly different idea of what constitutes a perfect world

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Dissapointing result. Unfair. Enough said

I think there's a fair few Antipodeans on here who might have a slightly different idea of what constitutes a perfect world
    I know, I know I wish it was here to but it's not just there is no need to cry over it and it is in Asia so I think discussion should be aimed towards that and ow the format should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    I know, I know I wish it was here to but it's not just there is no need to cry over it and it is in Asia so I think discussion should be aimed towards that and ow the format should work.
    As far as format goes, I'm fine with the Two groups > Super 6 > Semis > Final. If every team is full strength - I'm looking at you, Zimbabwe - and every team plays every allotted game, I think it works fine.

C_C
    they're a hypocrite because absolutely everyone is guilty of getting upset over something relatively petty, on a regular basis
    I disagree.
    It is still the 'shoot the messenger and sling mud on the messenger' syndrome if you feel thats hypocritical.
    Regardless of whether i am petty about something or another, it doesnt negate the idea that you are petty on this matter.

As i said, you dont need to be a perfect being to say someone's perspective on a certain matter is faulty.

As far as format goes, I'm fine with the Two groups > Super 6 > Semis > Final. If every team is full strength - I'm looking at you, Zimbabwe - and every team plays every allotted game, I think it works fine.
    I think this Zimbabwe side is about as full strength as it is going to get at this stage IMO.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    The format changed - 4 Groups > Super 8s > SF > F
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    it doesnt negate the idea that you are petty on this matter.
    What makes my point of view petty? I absolutely adore cricket, have done since I was five, and I would love to have a World Cup on my doorstep. Excuse me, but the fact that some expats in the US can't attend any International games isn't my concern, and doesn't neutralise my right to be disappointed by events, nor my right to express that.

Either way, I'm not going to get into another flame war with you. Back to the topic.

The format changed - 4 Groups > Super 8s > SF > F
    I know that, I was pointing out my preference. The format you mentioned is being used for the upcoming event, but I wasn't aware whether or not the Asians had expressed a preference?

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    I know that, I was pointing out my preference. The format you mentioned is being used for the upcoming event, but I wasn't aware whether or not the Asians had expressed a preference?
    They have no real say, its up to the ICC...

They have no real say, its up to the ICC...
    Really? Are you sure? Do you have a link to any articles? Not saying I don't believe you, I'm just a bit surprised.

C_C
    What makes my point of view petty? I absolutely adore cricket, have done since I was five, and I would love to have a World Cup on my doorstep. Excuse me, but the fact that some expats in the US can't attend any International games isn't my concern, and doesn't neutralise my right to be disappointed by events, nor my right to express that.

Either way, I'm not going to get into another flame war with you. Back to the topic.
    I dont wish to debate whether your point of view is petty or not ( i think it is but as you 'wisely' said, lets not get into a flame war). I am commenting on the idea that the comment 'get some perspective' is a hypocritical argument- which it doesnt have to be by default as you seem to be implying.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information