• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 World Cup Bid Vote - Another chance

C_C

International Captain
Presumable Eden Gardens would host the final and that would be cool to go to a big match there.

I sincerely hope not.
I would love to see an India-Pakistan finals and thats a bit too much for Kolkata to handle at the world cup finals stage.

It would be a bit like hosting an Afghanistan- USA football match in Texas.

Mumbai or Chennai IMO would make the perfect venue for finals.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
Stop complaining like spoilt children, please. I'm a HUGE cricket fan and I haven't had the opportunity to attend a single international match in my life ... because I'm in the US.
Next year I'll fly to the Windies and get my first taste. Take that in perspective and don't take it for granted. :)
A word to the wise, my friend. The "get a perspective" argument never works, mostly because anyone that uses it instantly becomes a hypocrite.

Craig

World Traveller
So is 2011 now on the list as well.

IMO (even though England have it in 2019 so it probably is hypothetical but what the hell) had their been a rotation policy in place it would be this:

2011 - Asia
2015 - Australia/New Zealand
2019 - Southern Africa
2023 - West Indies
2027 - England
2031 - Asia (and repeat process)

Although come 2031 I will be 46 by then and I dere not think that far ahead :p

Disscuss.

Slats4ever

Craig said:
So is 2011 now on the list as well.

IMO (even though England have it in 2019 so it probably is hypothetical but what the hell) had their been a rotation policy in place it would be this:

2011 - Asia
2015 - Australia/New Zealand
2019 - Southern Africa
2023 - West Indies
2027 - England
2031 - Asia (and repeat process)

Disscuss.
the icc have clearly shown here that repetition/cycle hosting will now happen so i doubt that'll happen unfortunately

adharcric

International Coach
mundaneyogi said:
A word to the wise, my friend. The "get a perspective" argument never works, mostly because anyone that uses it instantly becomes a hypocrite.
Yes I know. All I'm saying is that this shouldn't be as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be, IMO. It doesn't matter whether it's in Australia or Asia, I don't get to see it live, but I do get to see it on TV. Why complain so much?

Dick Rockett

Craig said:

Disscuss.
You probably shouldn't think about it. My clairvoyant tells me you're due to be killed in a freak yachting accident before then.

Oops.

C_C

International Captain
The "get a perspective" argument never works, mostly because anyone that uses it instantly becomes a hypocrite.
Not necessarily.

Its pointing out that your perspective in this matter is quite narrow according to the said poster. Which is a perfectly fine perogative. No one said that one has to be 'perfect' to adopt a 'geat a perspective' argument ( I bet you've got that talk sometime or another from your parents in your lifetime and chances are you didnt call them hypocrites). This is a classic case of 'shooting the messenger and not listening to the message itself'.

Craig

World Traveller
chaminda_00 said:
SL and Bangla wont get a semi or QF...
I don't see why they can't share the Quarter Final between all four, say if India make it to the quarters then host their own (makes sense), and the same for Pakistan and Sri Lanka the same for them if they make and possbily the same for Bangladesh if they make it and I hope they do. If you are going to host a World Cup then I think all four cricket mad countries should host a QF at least, otherwise it would defeat the purpose if Pakistan and India host them and Sri Lanka and Bangladesh get treated like "little brothers" and get some crappy pool match.

I mean Sri Lanka have won as many World Cups as India and Pakistan have.

Dick Rockett

adharcric said:
Yes I know. All I'm saying is that this shouldn't be as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be, IMO. It doesn't matter whether it's in Australia or Asia, I don't get to see it live, but I do get to see it on TV. Why complain so much?
Humans have to believe in an imperfect world. Haven't you seen The Matrix? ;)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
I don't see why they can't share the Quarter Final between all four, say if India make it to the quarters then host their own (makes sense), and the same for Pakistan and Sri Lanka the same for them if they make and possbily the same for Bangladesh if they make it and I hope they do. If you are going to host a World Cup then I think all four cricket mad countries should host a QF at least, otherwise it would defeat the purpose if Pakistan and India host them and Sri Lanka and Bangladesh get treated like "little brothers" and get some crappy pool match.

I mean Sri Lanka have won as many World Cups as India and Pakistan have.
I don't think there are any QF actually, its the Super 8. So SL and BD will get group matches and Super 8s and Pakistan, India will have the semis and final. I can't see them allowing us to have a semi.

Dick Rockett

C_C said:
Not necessarily.

Its pointing out that your perspective in this matter is quite narrow according to the said poster. Which is a perfectly fine perogative. No one said that one has to be 'perfect' to adopt a 'geat a perspective' argument ( I bet you've got that talk sometime or another from your parents in your lifetime and chances are you didnt call them hypocrites). This is a classic case of 'shooting the messenger and not listening to the message itself'.
You're missing the point I was trying to make, which is: as soon as one advises another to "get some perspective", they're a hypocrite because absolutely everyone is guilty of getting upset over something relatively petty, on a regular basis.

It's the old "practice what you preach" cautionary tale.

EDIT: My comment was never intended as a criticism of adharcric either.

Craig

World Traveller
mundaneyogi said:
You probably shouldn't think about it. My clairvoyant tells me you're due to be killed in a freak yachting accident before then.

Oops.
Well if I can achieve one of my fantasy's by then I will be a happy happy man :laugh: :ph34r: :naughty:

Craig

World Traveller
chaminda_00 said:
I don't think there are any QF actually, its the Super 8. So SL and BD will get group matches and Super 8s and Pakistan, India will have the semis and final. I can't see them allowing us to have a semi.
Well realistically that would happen I was trying to have a perfect world sort of thing happening since Sri Lanka are the most recent Asian World Cup winners.

(See we can have a proper discussion over this)

Dick Rockett

Craig said:
Well realistically that would happen I was trying to have a perfect world sort of thing happening since Sri Lanka are the most recent Asian World Cup winners.

(See we can have a proper discussion over this)
I think there's a fair few Antipodeans on here who might have a slightly different idea of what constitutes a perfect world ;)

Craig

World Traveller
mundaneyogi said:
I think there's a fair few Antipodeans on here who might have a slightly different idea of what constitutes a perfect world ;)
I know, I know I wish it was here to but it's not just there is no need to cry over it and it is in Asia so I think discussion should be aimed towards that and ow the format should work.

Dick Rockett

Craig said:
I know, I know I wish it was here to but it's not just there is no need to cry over it and it is in Asia so I think discussion should be aimed towards that and ow the format should work.
As far as format goes, I'm fine with the Two groups > Super 6 > Semis > Final. If every team is full strength - I'm looking at you, Zimbabwe - and every team plays every allotted game, I think it works fine.

C_C

International Captain
they're a hypocrite because absolutely everyone is guilty of getting upset over something relatively petty, on a regular basis
I disagree.
It is still the 'shoot the messenger and sling mud on the messenger' syndrome if you feel thats hypocritical.
Regardless of whether i am petty about something or another, it doesnt negate the idea that you are petty on this matter.

As i said, you dont need to be a perfect being to say someone's perspective on a certain matter is faulty.

Craig

World Traveller
mundaneyogi said:
As far as format goes, I'm fine with the Two groups > Super 6 > Semis > Final. If every team is full strength - I'm looking at you, Zimbabwe - and every team plays every allotted game, I think it works fine.
I think this Zimbabwe side is about as full strength as it is going to get at this stage IMO.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
The format changed - 4 Groups > Super 8s > SF > F