Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 World Cup Bid Vote - Another chance

Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    In fact a lot of Kiwis I know think they are Aussies more than Kiwis.
    Really? I have lived here my whole life (a whopping 19 years) and have never met a single person like that (other than Aussies who have immigrated over here of course).

Edit: You live here, you must be aware of the Trans-Tasman rivalry? There's no way that most NZers think they are more Australian than Kiwi, if they did they'd get ridiculed their whole life.
    Last edited by Sir Redman; 02-05-2006 at 01:28 AM.
    He’s thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

- Gareth Keenan from "The Office"

*****Winner***** of the 2006 FIFA World Cup predictions thread...see you in four years' time?

India yes, but SL would not be far behind most Cities in Pakistan.
    I am afraid you are wrong here. The six biggest cities in Pakistan all have population greater then 1 million. Karachi is one of the biggest cities in the world and Lahore isn't far behind. The accomodation facilities (both have PC's, Avari's, Sherton and loads of other 4 star/5 star hotels) speak for themselves. Islamabad is the capital and more likely then not can rival Colombo in cleanliness.

Peshawar has the infrastructure to host multiple ODI's, as they successfully demonstrated throughout the 90's. And unlike most people seem to think, it isn't exactly the ****-end of Pakistan either.

Faisalabad is a regular test venue, has been for several decades; not to mention the third largest city in Pakistan. Multan has one of the best stadiums in Pakistan though I'll readily admit the accomodation and infrastructure don't compare to Lahore or Karachi. Still, they didn't seem to have any trouble hosting tests against India and England here.

Shiekhupura, Gujarawala, Hyderabad and Quetta are all big cities (cities, NOT towns) with neglected stadiums that nevertheless can be adequately renovated in three-four years.
    Last edited by Beleg; 02-05-2006 at 03:23 AM.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    I've got next to no knowledge on Colombo.
    He's a fairly short detective-type. Wears a trenchcoat. Good at solving crimes.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    He's a fairly short detective-type. Wears a trenchcoat. Good at solving crimes.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
    You're probably going to be called a racist for that.
    Nope, but I am pretty sure I would rather live in Chennai than in Wellington, personally. It is a matter of culture and stuff. You are used to yours, we are used to ours. But it becomes a problem when one starts claiming one is better than the other.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg
    I am afraid you are wrong here. The six biggest cities in Pakistan all have population greater then 1 million. Karachi is one of the biggest cities in the world and Lahore isn't far behind. The accomodation facilities (both have PC's, Avari's, Sherton and loads of other 4 star/5 star hotels) speak for themselves. Islamabad is the capital and more likely then not can rival Colombo in cleanliness.

Peshawar has the infrastructure to host multiple ODI's, as they successfully demonstrated throughout the 90's. And unlike most people seem to think, it isn't exactly the ****-end of Pakistan either.

Faisalabad is a regular test venue, has been for several decades; not to mention the third largest city in Pakistan. Multan has one of the best stadiums in Pakistan though I'll readily admit the accomodation and infrastructure don't compare to Lahore or Karachi. Still, they didn't seem to have any trouble hosting tests against India and England here.

Shiekhupura, Gujarawala, Hyderabad and Quetta are all big cities (cities, NOT towns) with neglected stadiums that nevertheless can be adequately renovated in three-four years.
    The thing is Beleg, while Pakistan may have all those facilities, how can one be sure that the same won't be available in Sri Lanka? I have personally never been to either Pak or Sri Lanka, so I have no idea. But in terms of infrastructure, I think Colombo would definitely be up there, since it is the capital city and all, and from what I have seen about Colombo on TV, it seems like a great place with proper infrastructure. Definitely good enough to host a WC final, I think. The problem is, I think all the 4 nations will have very good facilities, esp. since cricket is #1 in all the 4 nations. I am sure it will be a tough choice and maybe, just maybe, the spectator capacity in the stadia might end up becoming the clinching factor.

And we can all thank the West Indies for voting for the Asian bid:

full story here

Going by that article it seems that they were always going to get it since South Africa and Zimbabwe were always behind the Asian bid.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    I'm a bit devastated that my quote about Neil Pickup and pies slipped from your signature...tell me, was there internal pressure from the CW heirarchy?

That article is the lamest thing I have ever read:

"He added that with the seventh vote secured, associate members like Malaysia, the UAE and Israel then voted in favour of the Asian bid."

What rubbish is that, this has got to be the most flawed process ever. What was the point of even doing the submission, which probably cost thousands of dollars. The whole process is a sham.

Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    I know most Kiwis see themselves a tiny insignificant non-entity next to Australia, but we Sri Lankans don't see ourselves that way . So please don't project your little inferiority psychosis on others , Ok ?

In fact a lot of Kiwis I know think they are Aussies more than Kiwis.

I wonder if you've actually met any New Zealanders in your time here, with comments like that.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    In the modern age, you need grounds 50,000+ to stage big sporting events IMO. I would say by the time the next World Cup comes around for England Lords or one of the grounds in London will be a 60,000+ seat-a-stadium as that's what will be demanded of them by the ICC. Or maybe even a portable pitch on Wembley.
    2019? Won't be ready.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I really did wish Auz/NZ won it, considering that I've lived in the subcontinent and never been to Aus/NZ. I would have liked to visit.

But now, I am very glad that the Asian bid is successful.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    That article is the lamest thing I have ever read:

"He added that with the seventh vote secured, associate members like Malaysia, the UAE and Israel then voted in favour of the Asian bid."

What rubbish is that, this has got to be the most flawed process ever. What was the point of even doing the submission, which probably cost thousands of dollars. The whole process is a sham.
    How would YOU have it work?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    I really did wish Auz/NZ won it, considering that I've lived in the subcontinent and never been to Aus/NZ. I would have liked to visit.

But now, I am very glad that the Asian bid is successful.

Have Snedden and Bindra mud-wrestling.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Either rotation or best bid wins, that is a panel with representations of all countries that include hounorable and reputable people (cricketers) deliberating on the best submission.

Not politics, secret deals etc etc.

Not saying that the subcontinets bid wasnt better, I am saying it seems the bids were not even looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    Either rotation or best bid wins, that is a panel with representations of all countries that include hounorable and reputable people (cricketers) deliberating on the best submission.

Not politics, secret deals etc etc.

Not saying that the subcontinets bid wasnt better, I am saying it seems the bids were not even looked at.
    Do you have proof that the bids from Aus/NZ weren't seriosly considered and just ignored? Before you cast doubt on the credibility and integrity of the 10 boards that voted in favor of the Asian bid, perhaps you should provide concrete evidence to back your claims. I've read all your posts so far on the subject, and it looks to me that you are bitter about Aus/NZ losing and are lashing out in an extreme way. I can understand being disapointed, but one shouldn't let emotions get the best of them.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information