• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rule clarification needed

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Ok, this is probably going to be a short thread, but anyway.

Can anyone tell me what the rule is regarding bowling outside the longitudinal lines painted in the bowling crease area, as shown here:

crease.gif.gif

The reason I ask is that I've seen Dan Vettori and Makhaya Ntini do it many, many times in the current series, and I was under the impression that bowling outside those lines was illegal?

While we're at it, is anyone else out there in the dark about a particular rule? Perhaps this is the place to ask.

EDIT: sorry, that pic's showing up a lot smaller than it really is. Clicking on it should let you see a larger version.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The front foot can cross it, however, no part of the back foot may cut that line.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
5. Fair delivery - the feet
For a delivery to be fair in respect of the feet, in the delivery stride
(i) the bowler's back foot must land within and not touching the return crease.
(ii) the bowler's front foot must land with some part of the foot, whether grounded or raised, behind the popping crease.
If the umpire at the bowler's end is not satisfied that both these conditions have been met, he shall call and signal No ball.
http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-24-no-ball,50,AR.html

Dick Rockett

Voltman said:
The front foot can cross it, however, no part of the back foot may cut that line.
Interesting. I'm pretty sure I've seen Vettori getting away with that. Will have to have a closer look tonight.

cpr

International Coach
"(i) the bowler's back foot must land within and not touching the return crease."

Hmm, think that one needs clarifying to me. Where abouts does it mean when it says 'the return crease'... I'm guessing it just means the within the width of the crease... its just i've seen spin bowlers bowl balls from a good few yards behind the crease to give a bit of variation and catch the batsman out (definately seen Croft do it before)... surely by doing that the foot isnt within the actual crease (though within the width if it was bowled from a normal point)

Dick Rockett

Yeah, the return crease is the one I was referring to when I started this thread. Just couldn't think of what the damn thing was called.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jamee999 said:
So if I wanted to I could bowl from the boundary rope:p?
Yes and No.

There is no rule stopping you apart from the one I use when umpiring in similar situations.

An umpire must be satisfied that all elements of a legal delivery are satisfied or he should call no ball.

If you bowl from the boundary (I know you jest, but lets use it as an example) how can the umpire be sure your back foot did not break the return crease?

You are so far back that the line (crease) cannot be used to judge and you are also bowling from so far behind the umpire that he cannot see what you are doing.

The elements of a fair delivery cannot be confirmed therefore, when I umpire, I call No-Ball