• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who replaces Gilchrist

Matt79

Global Moderator
When Adam hangs up the gloves, presumably in the next couple of years, who is the heir apparent? Haddin seems to be the designated back up at the moment, but will that still be the case when it comes time to select a long term replacement?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Haddin shou dget a run for a while, none of the other state keepers are close to him at the moment

Complicated

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hartley seems the heir apparent. Haddin however would do a great job, and they have picked older players recently. If they pick look long term though it will be Hartley.

oz_fan

International Regular
Haddin deserves it, he has been the second choice keeper for a while now. I would say that Hartley will be the long term option.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
Is Wade Secombe now totally out of the reckoning?
He's retired, so yes. Hartley is the keeper for Queensland now.

The main questionmark for Hartley is obviously he's batting. He looks like a solid batsman, but he's obviously not in the Gilchrist class, and probably not in the Haddin class either. If Gilchrist was to retire at the end of the World Cup, and Hartley doesn't set the world alight with the bat next Pura Cup season, you'd think Haddin would get the job.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Surprise no one has mentioned Luke Ronchi
He's never done anything of note in domestic cricket. Once he's a regular for WA in both forms and is scoring some runs, he'll get looked at, but for now it's between Haddin and Hartley and there's a few others ahead of Ronchi too.

pasag

RTDAS
If they had a choice between a mediocre batsman and a great wicketkeeper, or the other way around, a standard keeper but a good batsman, which one would they choose? I think that we have become so used to Gilchrist, that it would have to be the latter. But what if it means vital wickets are not taken? Man, we really have taken Gilly for granted and his greatness will truley be seen only after he retires.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Cooper will learn to keep. The new Gilchrist is old hat now. Everyone will want the new GoJo.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
If they had a choice between a mediocre batsman and a great wicketkeeper, or the other way around, a standard keeper but a good batsman, which one would they choose? I think that we have become so used to Gilchrist, that it would have to be the latter. But what if it means vital wickets are not taken? Man, we really have taken Gilly for granted and his greatness will truley be seen only after he retires.
I agree about Gilly, but Australia will definitely take the good batsman. If it was a choice between Hartley averaging 30, and Ronchi averaging 50, they'd go for Ronchi every time. Gilchrist is a rare (in fact, almost unique) breed in that he is both a world class keeper and a world class batsman, and has through most of his career been among the best in the world in both forms. It will probably be a long time before we see that again.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well at this stage the 3 options are Haddin along with the two youngsters Hartley & Ronchi. I'd be tempted to say after 2007 Gilchrist will retire from international cricket since i don't think he will have much to play for anymore. The two young keepers in Hartley & Ronchi to date have showed one or two glimpses of what they are capable of at domestic level, but in the next couple of years either will need to really have a really good domestic season with bat & gloves for one to say either is Gilly real successor. If not i'd say Haddin should take over frorm Gilly until that occurs.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Have you ever seen Hartley and/or Ronchi play? Don't think they should be mentioned in the same sentense tbh.

cameeel

International Captain
Why no mention of Adam Crossthwaite?

I'd have him as the second most likely to succeed Gilchrist, behind Chris Hartley.