• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Try and make a current XI with your favourite players.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
GAH, I'd like to add Salman Butt, Brendan McCullum and James Anderson and make it a squad :p. James Anderson starts ahead of Bond, he's honestly one of my favourite bowlers and I can't believe I left him out.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
ODI

Afridi
Gilchrist +
Lara
Watson
Hussey (c)
Flintoff
Zuiderant*
Pathan
Vettori
Lee
Shoaib

12th Jones

*Picked soley because of his name and the way Richie says it in C2004

Tests

Hussey (c)
Dravid (Has to open if he wants a game)
Ponting (Can't buy a ODI appearance while Zuiderant is around)
Lara
Watson
Flintoff
Gilcrhist +
Pathan
Vettori
Warne
Jones

12th Shoaib - Don't know if I would really want him carrying the drinks though, the batsman would never get them :)

Based soley on likability.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Nnanden said:
Jaques
Hayden
Ervine
Symonds
Hussey
Gilchrist
Afridi
Lee
Warne
Bracken
McGrath

...or something like that. Biased. :D
Christ, not bad.

Phil Jaques
Chris Gayle
Ricky Ponting
Mike Hussey(C)
Dhoni
Shahid Afridi
Adam Gilchrist(VC/WK)
Ian Harvey
Heath Streak
Brad Hogg
Glenn McGrath
12th: Andy Bichel

Open the bowling with McGrath and Steak, Harvey sending down his mediums before Hoddy, Afridi, Gayle and possibly Hussey waltz in.
:S Probably not enough quickies.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adamc said:
Chris Gayle, Sourav Ganguly and Stephen Wayward-Harmison, I think.
Yes indeed.

Crystal after Crystal Gayle, famous chanteuse and off-spin bowler who sang "Don't it make my brown eyes blue" and dropper of many crucial slip catches.

His Royal, Most Exulted And Quietly Impressive In His Supreme Dignified Excellent Left-Handedness (to give him his official 'Short Bank Holiday Monday' title is indeed Saurav Ganguly.

SW-H - very good indeed - this is because he is a gestalt entity comprising an occasionally impressive fast bowler from Ashington and South African club player Nantie Wayward-Hayward.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ahh... I thought the SW-H might have been Harmison, but I had no idea about the others.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
chooka_nick said:
Christ, not bad.

Phil Jaques
Chris Gayle
Ricky Ponting
Mike Hussey(C)
Dhoni
Shahid Afridi
Adam Gilchrist(VC/WK)
Ian Harvey
Heath Streak
Brad Hogg
Glenn McGrath
12th: Andy Bichel

Open the bowling with McGrath and Steak, Harvey sending down his mediums before Hoddy, Afridi, Gayle and possibly Hussey waltz in.
:S Probably not enough quickies.
Ponting, Streak and Hoggy are excellent. I used to like Harvey. Gayle is pretty cool. You have good taste. :D

Steulen

International Regular
Langer
De Villiers
Lara
Inzamam ul-Haq
Hussey
Haddin (K)
Bravo
Vettori
Gillespie
Hoggard
Muralitharan

Slightly silly, but it's an XI :)

EDIT: I'll let Langer captain because it would thrill him to bits

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
Ahh... I thought the SW-H might have been Harmison, but I had no idea about the others.
Indeed.

It's interesting to note that Ganguly was forced out of international cricket by a conspiracy of international scoreboard operators. As Saurav's dignity and international career lengthened, so did his name and official titles.

He of course insisted on his full name and title being featured prominently on the scoreboards (the shortened version* of which appears on pages 384-387 of "Who's Who"), but eventually something had to give and it did.

They ran out of nails to hang the letters on.

*His Quietly Impressive And Most Magnificently Dignified And Superbly Balanced And Clever Left-Handedness Saurav Finbar Aloysius O'Flaherty Wills Ganguly, Defender Of The Faith, Painkiller, Sad Wings Of Destiny And All The Other Good Albums By Judas Priest, Saviour Of The Nation, Saviour Of The Notion, Saviour Of The Lotion, Drinker Of The Potion, Conqueror Of Players, Player Of Conkers, Inventor Of Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Test

Hussey
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Ponting
Lara
Watson
Flintoff
Gilchrist+
Warne (c)
Lee
Nel

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Joao_Quinto said:
ODI

Zuiderant*

*Picked soley because of his name and the way Richie says it in C2004
Brilliant call. When I first played C2005 Zuiderent was clean bowled because I forgot to offer a shot when I heard Richie say "Zwydderon".
Don't diss the Zwydderon man, though, European player of the year 2005 ahead of Ed Joyce :laugh:

Steulen

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
Indeed.

I*His Quietly Impressive And Most Magnificently Dignified And Superbly Balanced And Clever Left-Handedness Saurav Finbar Aloysius O'Flaherty Wills Ganguly, Defender Of The Faith, Painkiller, Sad Wings Of Destiny And All The Other Good Albums By Judas Priest, Saviour Of The Nation, Saviour Of The Notion, Saviour Of The Lotion, Drinker Of The Potion, Conqueror Of Players, Player Of Conkers, Inventor Of Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
It is impossible to devise a long name from good JP albums, because there are none. :cool:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steulen said:
It is impossible to devise a long name from good JP albums, because there are none. :cool:
You git - and I even went out and bought 'Hocus Pocus' by Focus last week just to please you.

Steulen

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
You git - and I even went out and bought 'Hocus Pocus' by Focus last week just to please you.
Flute rock flom the flatlands! For really top-notch Dutch 70's prog, check out Alquin.

So, what's this topic about anyway?

<looks around with vacant expression and benign smile>

cricketboy29

International Regular
honestbharani said:
McGrath, Ambrose > Shoaib, Lee. :)
I would love to see Shoaib and Lee bowling in tandem though. Two 150+ bowlers with the new ball sending down some fiery bouncers, coupled with occasional reverse swinging yorker, and of course shoaib's slower ball. Ahhhhh. And then Murali and Warne on a subcontinetal pitch:D:D. Now that would be classic.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Steulen said:
Brilliant call. When I first played C2005 Zuiderent was clean bowled because I forgot to offer a shot when I heard Richie say "Zwydderon".
:laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I would do this but there are not 11 current cricketers (or old for that matter) that I particularly like above the others. Maybe 1 or 2 but I never went for heros or favourites.

I guess its because I have a stone for a heart and a vacuum for a soul. :cry: