• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which International Team has the strongest tail?

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
How about india(At least in the ODIs). the tail has won many matches recently when the top order was failing consistently.\
Pathan Averages >28
Powar Averages> 40
Agarkar (yes AA) averages around 18
Sreesaanth (Has batted only 3 times so far and has made 0* 0 and 0 run out) so he hardly gets to play thanks to pathan Powar and AA:laugh:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
quick4mindia said:
How about india(At least in the ODIs). the tail has won many matches recently when the top order was failing consistently.\
Pathan Averages >28
Powar Averages> 40
Agarkar (yes AA) averages around 18
Sreesaanth (Has batted only 3 times so far and has made 0* 0 and 0 run out) so he hardly gets to play thanks to pathan Powar and AA:laugh:
No he doesn't. He averages 31.33, from 6 innings with 3 not outs.

PY

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
is probably the hardest tail-ender to dismiss in the world.
Hoggy does pretty well in that position for us, he's obviously not the best in terms of shot playing but he has enormous stickability.

England's is pure biffer/blocker status:

Hoggard - Ave 7.9
Harmison - Ave 10.72
Jones - Ave 15.8

:laugh:

Pretty crap. :D

Slifer

International Captain
The Maestro said:
Test and ODI's

I think that 8 pretty much qualifies as middle order? Unless the number 8 batsman is "a bit krap" that is .......so lets say positions 9, 10 and 11.

Whose is the strongest, taking into consideration the 4 most used players in those spots
u really have to ask, it s the WI for sure. After Lara and Chanderpaul its all downhill from there. Whoops i meant they had the weakest!!

Last edited:

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
andyc said:
No he doesn't. He averages 31.33, from 6 innings with 3 not outs.
Yes just for the last match that he batted got his average less than 40. he is a good batsman and can play according to the situation demands.
31 is also good. for a tailender

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
It is also after only 6 innings, so cannot be taken as meaning anything at all.
Yeah u dont expect a tailender to hit a 50 in his 3rd or 4 th inning (with a previous strike rate of 130)
he has many such 50s in the domestic circuit

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If tail is 9,10,11 then NZ easily when Martin isn't playing. I consider 7 and 8 to be lower order batsmen, not traditional tail-enders.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The tail is 8-11 for me. The traditional bowlers spots. Obviously not everyone who bats below 7 is a tail ender in the sense of being a poor batsman, but they still make up the tail end of the order.

Blaze

Banned
thedarkmullet said:
Franklin is doing well but Fleming isn't exactly the tail.
Yes but it is only because of Franklin that Fleming has been able to score all these extra runs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
thedarkmullet said:
Franklin is doing well but Fleming isn't exactly the tail.
This is the 12th Test in a row where at least one of the 8-11 has stood up and been counted to the tune of 30 or more.

Add in the fact that they've shared it around gives it the solidity no others can really match IMO.

adharcric

International Coach
For me, it goes openers (1-2), middle-order (3-5), lower middle-order (6-7) and tail/lower order (8-11).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I always used to reckon SA had the toughest tail to dismiss, although that may well be changing if Ntini, Nel & Steyn are going to play regularly. And even Pollock doesn't do that much with the bat nowadays, does he?

Must be Aus if Warne, Lee & Gillespie are playing.

Blaze

Banned
Yeah I would say Australia's is almost as good as ours.

Warne, Lee, Gillespie is pretty decent.

adharcric

International Coach
If India play 6 batsmen then they have the strongest tail: Pathan, Kumble, Harbhajan, Sreesanth. (although one might argue that they'd play Munaf, not Harbhajan)

Otherwise, New Zealand and Australia.
South Africa with Boucher/Pollock and Boje are decent as well but getting worse perhaps.