Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Which sportsmen would produce the best cricketers?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basketball

1 2.04%
  • Football

2 4.08%
  • Baseball

20 40.82%
  • Tennis

20 40.82%
  • Badminton

2 4.08%
  • Other

4 8.16%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which sportsmen would make the best cricketers?

still scratching around in the same old hole

Which sportsmen would make the best cricketers?

Every time I watch NBA basketball I cant help but think "What a waste of fast bowling talent"

If you took the top 50 players from any sport and worked hard for a long time to teach them cricket, which sport would produce the best cricket team?

Basketball
    Tall and athletic. A potential fastbowling goldmine. Good hand eye co-ords and footwork

Football
    The world game. The best from the biggest talent pool in sport. Surely must be talented athletes who can turn their hand to anything?

Tennis
    Tall with great anticipation. Skilled at returning and hitting fast bouncing balls

Baseball
    Too often compared to cricket in the USA but does have transferable skills. Great fielding and awesome hand eye co-ordination

Badminton
    Fast and with good reactions. A sport of touch rather than just power

Other
    AFL, Union, League, Kabadi, American Football, Fly Fishing, Darts..etc, you choose

What do people think?
    Last edited by Goughy; 27-04-2006 at 01:59 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    I voted tennis. They have the athleticism, the height, the power, and above all, phenomenal hand-eye co-ordination. The muscles used in the serving action would also be used for bowling; those used in the action for a forehand would be very useful when batting, particularly for hitting through the leg-side.

As for fielding, they're used to running around and changing direction very rapidly - their ability to pick up a ball quickly and throw it would be second to none after years of sprinting to the net to reach opposition drop-shots.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    I voted tennis. They have the athleticism, the height, the power, and above all, phenomenal hand-eye co-ordination. The muscles used in the serving action would also be used for bowling; those used in the action for a forehand would be very useful when batting, particularly for hitting through the leg-side.
    I actually voted the same with the same thought process. I was thinking about the serve and bowling as well.

I must say though I moved the mouse over a couple of options before deciding tennis. It was a tough call for me.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Tennis players have good hand eye co ordination as pointed. They reply on timing as well - some thing very essential in cricket. I would say that the tennis players could become the best batsmen while the basketballers the best bowlers.

So I haven't voted either.

I would say Baseball. As pointed out by others, it requires many similar skills. I believe if baseball athelets played cricket from childhood (like they do with Baseball), many would have great success in Cricket.

well as traditionaly many sportsmen played football in the winter and cricket in the summer il go for the footballers

Baseballers would be pretty good at twenty20 though

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion
    I would say Baseball. As pointed out by others, it requires many similar skills. I believe if baseball athelets played cricket from childhood (like they do with Baseball), many would have great success in Cricket.
    Yep, that's more or less my thinking exactly. There are obviously big differences, but a lot of the skills are essentially the same.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Christian Vieri, was supposedly a fantastic young cricketer. He always said he would love to play cricket professionally (thought about quitting in his late 20s to go and play in OZ) but only if he got paid the same wage, which was then 60,000 a week.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Christian Vieri, was supposedly a fantastic young cricketer. He always said he would love to play cricket professionally (thought about quitting in his late 20s to go and play in OZ) but only if he got paid the same wage, which was then 60,000 a week.
    Border is supposed to be his sporting hero.

As I mentioned in another thread today Phil Neville was a very decent cricketer as a youth as well, but I guess if one has comparable skills in two disciplines going for the better rewarded option is only human.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    To make things interesting, also talk on what your second choice would be here in comments.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    To make things interesting, also talk on what your second choice would be here in comments.
    Baseball has almost exactly the same skills as in cricket, so thats the obvious choice. Basketball players appear too clumsy to make really good players, I'd be tempted to go with the tennis - decent athleticism, hand/eye co-ord.

Baseball I think, we had one play for us once, an american (about 19), he had never played cricket before. He was easily the best fielder in the side in all positions except behind the wicket.

He developed into a pretty good middle order batsman (big hitter) but never picked up bowling. He only played that one season.
    You know it makes sense.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    As I mentioned in another thread today Phil Neville was a very decent cricketer as a youth as well, but I guess if one has comparable skills in two disciplines going for the better rewarded option is only human.
    But you said he was a very decent Cricketer...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Baseball tends to produce excellent fielders, plus a lot of the pitchers would fit right in without changing their actions

Seriously though, baseball hitters have to hit the ball going 95+ mph with a bat much smaller than cricket. The variation is less, but its still hard as hell. They also have to judge quickly whether to leave the ball or swing (and thats hard at 100mph), so that would translate well.

I think a lot of them would be excellent.

Ping Pong players. A few months ago I got bored so instead of hitting the ball back normally I held the paddle like a bat and struck some elegant drives, trying to time them to perfection.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information