• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top five characters in cricket history

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
burkey_1988 said:
For sure. My dad has met him a few times and says he's an absolute lark.
His speech at the Sixes in Shanghai was hilarious, and he outdrunk everyone there each day of the tournament despite being about 60.

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
I understand where you are coming from. If by character you mean colourful characters..
Then this would be my list -

1 WG Grace (England)

2 Syd Barnes (Australia)

3 Keith Miller (Australia)

4 Doug Walters (Australia)

5 Derek Randall (England)
I would be happy with this list, but a former SL captain was a bit of a character :ph34r:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Imran Khan is a perfect pick in that he fits my description of somebody I knew before I knew much, he name lived on, he brought a charisma to his team. Great leader with many pleasent qualities making him a public personallity.

Imran's a great pick.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
For me Warne and Boon would easily make this list. Its not like Boony got that gut from hackeysack, he got it from smashing boundries.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
From our era, it is definitely Warne head and shoulders above the rest.

Other strong ones:

Inzamam
Ganguly
Shoaib Akhtar

Beleg

International Regular
Some Pakistani 'characters':

1. Imran Khan
2. Abdul Hafeez Kardad
3. Wasim Akram
4. Majid Khan
5. Miandad
6. Inzamam
7. Wasim Bari
8. Afridi
9. Akhtar/Majid Khan
10. Fazal Mahmood

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Miandad versus Imran.. Who would the character be if you have to chose one? I would chose Miandad.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
Miandad versus Imran.. Who would the character be if you have to chose one? I would chose Miandad.
The way I define "character" (like a colorful personality), I would pick Miandad. Imran had charisma and *** appeal, but he was actually somewhat shy. Miandad was more colorful IMO and a bigger character.

cpr

International Coach
Hmm, taking what the author meant, as in big cricket 'Celebrities' (ie those who transcend the sport and into the whole media starlight), i'd have to go with the following

1) WG Grace - At the time cricket was THE sport in England, but still, Grace was possibly the most famous name in the country (behind the Queen of course). He defined the sport to those who wernt familiar. His name alone was enough to attract the crowds, and for it he could demand stupid money to play. Total mercenary, chasing the money, true sign of celebrity ;)

2) Shane Warne - I think most of the English speaking world knows who this guy is. Unlike in Grace's era, cricket is not the biggest sport in England, and before the Ashes tournament most people would be hard pressed to name more than one person on the England team, let alone any other country. Bar Australia, because Warne is a name synonimous with cricket. Ever since THAT ball to Gatting, the name Shane Warne has been banded about with almost trepidation. Whenever talk of the Ashes comes into everyday conversation, you can guarantee the non cricketing fan will mention Warne. Of course, certain scandals have made his name more prominent to the non cricketing fan (lets face it, how many cricket scandals are there!)

3) Andrew Flintoff - Before the Ashes tournament most people would be hard pressed to name more than one person on the England team, but if they did, it'd have been Flintoff. He is simply crickets man of the moment. In England he is a national tresure, and is being thrust into different spotlights faster than he can rack up runs (i mean, he's plannin on doing a duet with Elton John!). He is to cricket what David Beckham is to football (with a better looking wife and without the stupid childrens names)

4) Imran Khan - If Flintoff is the cricketing Beckham, then Khan is crickets George Best. Flash, stylish, pop star looks, and enough skill to make a team quiver in the dressing room. He paved the way for superstar cricketers. Flashy pads, tabloid private life, high profile wife. If i was Pakistani, i'd probably have him at no 1, because i'm guessing the effect he had in Pakistan was absolutely immense. As it is, i can only go on what i know, so he can feel a little agrieved at being so low (as if he cares)

5) Brian Lara - Odd choice mebbie, but 1994 was almost Lara-mania (and no i'm not on about the Tomb Raider games). Every record there was, he smashed, and everyone knew the name, the face, and the sheer talent. Just as likely to be on the front pages rather than the back, for his cricket exploits alone, puts him in a position to challenge for this no 5 spot.

Now please remember i'm 22, only really picked up cricket in the last 10 years, so my results are skewed towards the now (obviously grace and khan i've looked into a bit :))

So yeah, Botham, Richards, Bradman etc are missed. I'm sure they'd make others top 5's, and i shall certainly not argue with that, they deserve to be there :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
cpr said:
Hmm, taking what the author meant, as in big cricket 'Celebrities' (ie those who transcend the sport and into the whole media starlight), i'd have to go with the following
If transcending has to be taken into account, Tendulkar would be the person from our era despite being mostly non controversial . If character as in a person who is a character like Fusion put it, it would have to be Warne from our generation.

cpr

International Coach
I can understand your selection of Tendulkar. Like i said, my 5 were chosen from my view, which is very English game orientated. Tendulkar probably has the same public profile as Flintoff has here, but of course i dont get to see that.

Damn hard one to call this. Think were gonna end up with 5 different people from each country. Good topic!

PY

International Coach
I would say in England, Freddie has galvanised modern cricket more than anyone in recent times.

He's made the headlines more for his cricketing exploits than anything I guess so that might rule him out. A lot of people would recognise him now even if they don't follow cricket much.

He's not on any all-time lists but I think he's probably a modern day one, more so than Pietersen.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Imran had charisma and *** appeal, but he was actually somewhat shy.
:naughty: :naughty: Man when he was shy he had babes all over him from Zeenat Aman to Sita White to Jemina. Imagine if he were not so shy ;)

Fusion

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
:naughty: :naughty: Man when he was shy he had babes all over him from Zeenat Aman to Sita White to Jemina. Imagine if he were not so shy ;)
haha. I meant somewhat shy in public. I've seen countless awards/functions which he attended where he was very shy. I think that aspect of his personality has changed over the years as he got into politics. But going back to the topic of this thread, I don't consider him a bigger "character" than Miandad. Miandad was anything but shy, specially on the field!

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Perhaps the shyness was the real turn-on for the babes? 8-)