• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****OFFICIAL**** Lara vs Tendulkar Debate Thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's kind of amazing that you didn't manage to find one of nine threads on this when you searched.

Anyway, like with Wasim vs McGrath, I think you've got to be a big fan of aesthetics to go with Lara by now. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, ftr.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Sehwag's stroke-play occasionally reminds me of lara.
I think there is a slight similarity between the two in that respect.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
IMO they were close till the time Lara retired (though I personally think Sachin was slightly ahead by then). Sachin has achieved new heights since that time. This is not a 'longevity' point, this is a point about 'longevity at the very highest level of batsmanship'. Had Sachin been averaging 40 or so since 2007, the only point in Sachin's favor over Lara would have been 'longevity'.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah Tendy has been ouutstanding since 2007. In fact just seems to be getting better and better every single year. Does edge out Lara I suppose.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is like the Warne vs. Murali debate in Tests IMO... there's no clear "right" or "wrong" and comes down to what you prefer. Sure it seems one of them has the advantage statistically, but overall it's much closer than that.

Howe_zat

Audio File
This is like the Warne vs. Murali debate in Tests IMO... there's no clear "right" or "wrong" and comes down to what you prefer. Sure it seems one of them has the advantage statistically, but overall it's much closer than that.
I genuinely think the last three years have given it it to Tendulkar, and that the only real way you can argue for Lara is aesthetics. I suppose you could say the same for Warne vs Murali, but it's closer to the Wasim vs McGrath debate from earlier.

Xuhaib

International Coach
similarity:
both throw their hands at deliveries outside off (have unorthodox styles, flamboyant sort of players)
haha...no way Sehwag is pretty ugly to watch Lara is one of those rare few who would make you change your schedule just so you could catch watch him play.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think his style is particularly aesthetic, and he's not the kind of player whose individual shots I would bother to watch over again and again (all hands, no feet make Spark go meh) but there is something about the sheer audacity and "I don't give a ****" nature of his batting which is quite awesome to watch.