Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: ****OFFICIAL**** Lara vs Tendulkar Debate Thread

Discussion between Lara/Tendulkar should be settled now that who is greater, Lara , for all his brilliance, retired 4 years ago while Tendy is still going with pretty much same rate as he did before. To me Tendulkar has moved on a different level than Lara.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Discussion between Lara/Tendulkar should be settled now that who is greater, Lara , for all his brilliance, retired 4 years ago while Tendy is still going with pretty much same rate as he did before. To me Tendulkar has moved on a different level than Lara.
    Lara was pretty ****ing epic in the last 3 or 4 years of his career.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Nah he prefers to gobsmack the heavens out of lesser bowlers like Steyn, Morkel etc.
    Theres no point arguing here, it is pretty damn well understood and established that Lara continued to dominate in the later stages of his career, he didn't change his approach, Tendulkar did and he has alluded to this himself. All if not the majority of cricket fans will tell you, they would much rather prefer the Tendulkar of the late 90s. You wouldn't find such percentages for Lara.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Hmm, not sure you can generalise so easily about what 'real' cricket fans like to watch or not watch.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    lol.. Lara was forced to retire at 37 when he was still better than any Windies batsmen and perhaps better than most batsmen in the world... I can see the reasons why Sachin could be considered better than Lara but I don't think that is one of them... And there is no real "settled" to this anyhow because Lara has not gotten any worse since 2007, even though Tendulkar has gotten better. It has always been, and will always be, down to personal preference. Just dont see any definitive or qualititive answer to this Vs question at all...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16 View Post
    Theres no point arguing here, it is pretty damn well understood and established that Lara continued to dominate in the later stages of his career, he didn't change his approach, Tendulkar did and he has alluded to this himself. All if not the majority of cricket fans will tell you, they would much rather prefer the Tendulkar of the late 90s. You wouldn't find such percentages for Lara.
    Lara's SR in the last years and pretty much entire career was around60, Tendulkar in the last 3 years is striking at 57, while averaging well over 60 aswell.

Shahid Afridi too never changed his approach ever. But that doesnt make him an ATG

Quote Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
    Hmm, not sure you can generalise so easily about what 'real' cricket fans like to watch or not watch.
    yeah.. and the fact is, a number of Indians would even watch Sachin walk back and forth over some other batsmen actually batting... It is really unexplainable. I guess a lot of it IS down to how good a person he comes across as, apart from all his cricketing achievements. THAT should never be underrated in any discussion regarding Sachin. The guy is a role model for any public figure, leave alone sports.

Lara's SR in the last years and pretty much entire career was around60, Tendulkar in the last 3 years is striking at 57, while averaging well over 60 aswell.

Shahid Afridi too never changed his approach ever. But that doesnt make him an ATG
    That is a silly argument...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    lol.. Lara was forced to retire at 37 when he was still better than any Windies batsmen and perhaps better than most batsmen in the world... I can see the reasons why Sachin could be considered better than Lara but I don't think that is one of them... And there is no real "settled" to this anyhow because Lara has not gotten any worse since 2007, even though Tendulkar has gotten better. It has always been, and will always be, down to personal preference. Just dont see any definitive or qualititive answer to this Vs question at all...
    Curious, how'd you backup that statement?

Lara's last year was pretty mediocre, although I agree he was still better than 99% other WI batsmen

Banned
    That is a silly argument...
    Not meaning Lara was not an ATG, but suggesting that the contention is flawed

vcs
    Sir Alex, can you find out Sachin's Test strike-rate statistics over his career? cricinfo doesn't list it, presumably because "Balls Faced" wasn't available for some of the earliest Tests he played.

Curious, how'd you backup that statement?

Lara's last year was pretty mediocre, although I agree he was still better than 99% other WI batsmen
    depends on what you mean by mediocre.. Lara was smashing it against the Aussies and was playing Tait (the quickest thing around back then) as easily as anyone ever did in that WC... As I said, I don't really recall him being bad at any point then.. Maybe during the INdia series he wasn't his usual self but really, Lara had a thing of getting out to mediocre INdian bowlers like Sachin does with a Fernando or other newbies.. Basically, I don't think I have seen anything to change my opinion yet on the matter. Lara by the whiskerest of whiskers (used to a real whisker earlier but Sachin HAS gotten better since that Aussie tour in 2007/2008.) but Sachin overall, clearly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Sir Alex, can you find out Sachin's Test strike-rate statistics over his career? cricinfo doesn't list it, presumably because "Balls Faced" wasn't available for some of the earliest Tests he played.
    Nearly impossible task, as SRs for his earlier career wouldn't be available. It must be around 54.5.

Not meaning Lara was not an ATG, but suggesting that the contention is flawed
    No, I meant the times cricket is being played in.. BTW, I am not sure if any real record exists for this but is there way to see overall SRs in test cricket year by year since 2000 or so?

vcs
    No, I meant the times cricket is being played in.. BTW, I am not sure if any real record exists for this but is there way to see overall SRs in test cricket year by year since 2000 or so?
    This is what I'd like to see as well for Sachin, preferably from 91-92 or whenever they started keeping track of balls faced.

Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread Information