• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****OFFICIAL**** Lara vs Tendulkar Debate Thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So derailing a thread by calling others trolls and whatever is okay,but talking about Tendu in a thread about him,even if it is OTT praise,is not?

Some posters are trying too hard to show that they are "neutral" and "fair".To counter the supposed Tendu fan-boyism,the aforementioned poster(s) are themselves,whether knowingly or not,degrading Tendu's achievements - or may be the term 'Lara fan-boys' would be more apt here? 8-)
Nope.. not when the said "defending" is contrary to facts.. 8-)

And yes, some posters are TRYING too hard to show themselves as fair.. Ever heard the combo of words "pot, kettle, black"???

Have a look at every single post of SA across CC in the past 2 weeks and then come back... Just because the point was made in this thread does not mean it is the only thread in question. But then again, a couple of you seem to have made it a habit to overlook "facts" these days...

Matt79

Global Moderator
HB et al - Fusion asked people to stop bickering, and since then Sir Alex has stopped the off-topic stuff in this thread and it was moving back onto topic. I reckon discussing the pros and cons of Lara and Tendulkar is more interesting, in a thread called "Lara vs Tendulkar Debate Thread" than picking over what you think of a specific poster. Let's move on.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
HB et al - Fusion asked people to stop bickering, and since then Sir Alex has stopped the off-topic stuff in this thread and it was moving back onto topic. I reckon discussing the pros and cons of Lara and Tendulkar is more interesting, in a thread called "Lara vs Tendulkar Debate Thread" than picking over what you think of a specific poster. Let's move on.
Hatrick request :)

Will stop.. was replying to couple of points raised.. that's all. :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, load/hang time strikes again. Not sure whether it's my connection or the forum that's struggling atm, but its annoying. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, load/hang time strikes again. Not sure whether it's my connection or the forum that's struggling atm, but its annoying. :)
Trust me, we are literally struggling with the posting as well... :)

And apologies for having contributed to this mess over the past few days but there is always a line.. :(

BTW, didn't notice you were Mod.. Was it a recent appointment? Totally missed it. Congrats mate.. :)

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
3 to 4 years on after starting this thread. Looking at Tendy's revival as a test batsman since the AUS tour 2007/08, in which he has banished to notion that he is choker under pressure (one of the few things Lara ever had over him) with his 4th innings hundred @ Chennai 08 vs ENG. Tendy has moved further in front of Lara for me.

Presuming he keeps going in test in the next year & does well againts potential quality pace attacks of SA, WI & ENG (especially given Lara struggles in SA & ENG in the past againts quality pace attacks; Donald/Pollock 98/99 & Gough/Caddick 2000, Flintoff & co in 2004), when India tours these countries. He will without a doubt have to be rated higher than Lara.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Lil late to the party buddy. I think most (including me) already rate SRT above Lara but not by much no matter what u might think and no matter what he may achieve from here on out.

PS outside of the Pakistan attack there r no current quality pace attacks Dale Steyn alone does not a quality attack make.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Lil late to the party buddy. I think most (including me) already rate SRT above Lara but not by much no matter what u might think and no matter what he may achieve from here on out.
Was banned or else i would said this months ago. Plus im not pushing my view, just reminising from my POV on the two since i first made this thread back in the days.

PS outside of the Pakistan attack there r no current quality pace attacks Dale Steyn alone does not a quality attack make.
Steyn has Morkel/De Wet/McLaren/Kallis as back-up, which certainly would make a quality pace attack. Which Tendy will be facing in a few months.

Anderson & co in English seaming conditons is as deadly as anything. Which if he isn't retired after the 2011 WC, Tendy will face in ENG next summer.

Slifer

International Captain
u were banned really ? (not being sarcastic). I think Morkel still needs sum more seasoning tbh.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Probably part of that fan syndrome whereby the player performing at his best is held much higher than a retired player. Let Tendulkar retire first!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
u were banned really ? (not being sarcastic). I think Morkel still needs sum more seasoning tbh.
Before last winter when ENG toured SA i'd agree that more seasoning was needed for Morkel. But his bowling vs ENG was his coming of age TBF, he is the real deal now for sure.

Slifer

International Captain
Even if that were true it would make RSA attack good at best no where near great (maybe very good at best)

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Brian Lara vs Sachin Tendulkar

Inspired from the Wasim and McGrath threads, I hereby launch a Sachin vs Lara thread although I am sure people won't like it considering the fact that Sachin topic has been debated for ages.

For me Brian Lara was more classy and he was definitely the best player of Spin/Medium Pace but he was not good against pace which probably was his weakness. On his day he could win a game single handedly.

On the other hand Sachin is not as classy as Lara but he does not have any major weaknesses.
I have special likeness towards Lara but Sachin is not one of my favorites although he is good at making records.

We should also keep in mind for Lara that he was a lonely warrior, a single man fighting for the Windies where as Sachin has had support from Dravid/Laxman/Ganguly and now Dhoni/Gambhir/Sehwag

Your opinion?

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah no offense but this thread has been done a million times.

Anyway the answer is Tendulkar though it is subjective, he wins through force of pure stats really.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh and yes, I tried adding a poll, but it did not work. Would be grateful if anyone helps or add one.

PS: I searched, could not find a thread. My bad. :|

Last edited: