• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****OFFICIAL**** Lara vs Tendulkar Debate Thread

Slifer

International Captain
So the more Sachin achieves, and the fact Lara has retired, has worked against Sachin and in favour of Lara?

Seems a bit fickle. Sort of like detracting from Hayden and Dravid's achievements because time is catching up to them, except in Sachin's case, it was injuries + time.
Just an opinion friend. And tbh SRT has done nothing of note since Lara's retirement to make me think differently.

JBH001

International Regular
well, this is what happens when you remove matches in the subcontinent and the matches against zimbabwe and bangladesh.
Code:
BC Lara     113  	200  	6  	10028  	400*  	51.69  	27  	43  	15 
[B]SR Tendulkar 59  	101  	8  	4777  	241*  	51.36  	15  	22  	9[/B]
if you remove matches played in windies (home advantage?) from lara's stats his numbers are.
Code:
[B]
BC Lara  50  	91  	1  	3984  	277  	44.26  	11  	18  	7
[/B]
if you want to ignore the second stat i still cant choose between lara and tendulkar.
Interesting, and telling, statistics Baga. Especially the respective stats excluding minnows, away from home, and outside of the subcontinent. Thanks.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I would go with Lara, firstly because I love to watch the guy bat, more so than Sachin. But probobly more so because he had to deal with a lot of rubbish, however, I admit this was in the back end of his career, but in the back end of career is when his average struggled most, at least I think anyway....

Lara had to cope with leading a team of no hopers, as well as getting criticised by the WICB as well as mix ups with sponsors and all types of rubbish like that... basically Lara had all of WI resting on his shoulders, which was a lot of pressure when you have no help, not even backing from the board... thus making his achievments in cricket even more spectacular.
For the larger part of their respective careers lara had a equal if not better team than tendulkar had in all conditions.

As for the captaincy bit, lara only had those problems at the end of his career.Sachin also a couple of time had captaincy given to him when the team was in turmoil.Once after no one wanted to cpatain and second time after a match fixing scandla which rocked faith of a billion people in cricket.And still not to forget he was almost carrying the team singlehandedly too ,with his batting.

As for pressure,Lara cracked a couple of times publically under pressure .And if pressure in the windies was too much,imagine the pressure of one billion cricket mad nation,where you could not even go out outside your house without causing a big fuss.Sachin singlhandedly for a large part of his career carried the hopes of the nation on its team ,and never once wilted or behaved in a cracked manner.People used to at one point of time switch of the t.v's when he got out as he was considered the sole reliable batsmen in the team.And still he continued to perform at a level which was higher than anybody else and delivered more times than not.And on top of that mantained a demeanour befitting of a true proffesional.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar wins this for me.
Though it is amatter of personal taste,his consistency everywhere topped with the pressure of carrying a batting line up for the most part wins it for me.Specially if you take the playing span into account too along with demeanour.

It is a pity he got a bit of a downturn in the 2000's partially due to injury,when pitches were getting flatter adn great bowlers were retiring ,so that he could not boost his average and stats further in a period where other not in the same class batsmen were.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
A question.

Did Lara really play in a crappier team than sachin on average in their respective careers?

I believe in fact lara had a better team than what sachin had for the most part of their respective career.I believe only in the latter half of lara's career did the Indians overtake windies which people are mistaking as a sole yardstick to judge the respective teams throughout the respective careers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just an opinion friend. And tbh SRT has done nothing of note since Lara's retirement to make me think differently.
I know its an opinion but this topic and board is meant for discussions so I figured I'd debate the point. As I've said many times, I don't really mind if anyone thinks Lara is better, but I'm just curious as to your reasoning in particular.

Ironically, Sachin obviously has done something since retirement to make you think differently of him... you've just thought of him less than previously.

This is despite him batting better now than he's batted between 2003-2006, including match-winning centuries vs. England and Australia in both forms.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Interesting, and telling, statistics Baga. Especially the respective stats excluding minnows, away from home, and outside of the subcontinent. Thanks.
I love Lara, so this fact is independent of the Sachin/Lara debate, but Lara's away record is actually quite less impressive when directly compared to Sachin, Ponting, Dravid and Kallis.

Away records:

Tendulkar: 53.70
Ponting: 50.35
Dravid: 56.62 (despite sucking for the last 18 months)
Kallis: 52.36
Steve Waugh: 55.85 (gun!)
Lara 47.80

To be fair I didn't filter out Bangladesh. Ironically I'd say Lara, when at his best, is better than all those batsmen, but his mental issues (which many players have commented on) probably played a part in his less spectacular away record.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gah, don't bring Ponting into this. Will result in instant thread sh*ttification.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Sachin Tendulkar vs Brian Lara

How do people say Tendulkar is better than Lara in test matches?
Maybe ODI's but how on earth in test matches?
just look at their records

Code:
Player  	          Span  	Mat  	Inns  	NO  	Runs  	HS  	Ave  	100  	50  	0
SR Tendulkar (India) 	1989-2009 	159* 	260 	27 	12764 	248* 	54.78 	42 	53 	14
BC Lara (ICC/WI) 	1990-2006 	131 	232 	6 	11953 	400* 	52.88 	34 	48 	17
Compare their not outs and it seems even more one sided.If lara hadnt retired 2 years ago by now both 100's and runs record would have been out of reach for Tendulkar.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I will argue on this once Tendulkar's career is over. That's been my stance and I maintain it.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Tendulkar v Lara part 482.

Lara for me, I can't really split them on ability, Tendulkar perhaps more consistent Lara more damaging when he was on song. But I choose Lara simply because I enjoyed watching him more,

Xuhaib

International Coach
Tendulkar v Lara part 482.

Lara for me, I can't really split them on ability, Tendulkar perhaps more consistent Lara more damaging when he was on song. But I choose Lara simply because I enjoyed watching him more,
This, though I think Sach might be the better player overall.