• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara appointed captain

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I would have gone with Sarwan, but hey, if this is short-term maybe it'll give other players who are contenders for future captain time to mature and get more experience.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
Dhoni joke getting old... fast.

Its not a joke.

Never been a huge fan of Lara as captain.

Too prone to moodiness and self-absorption.
Agreed, not a huge fan of Lara as captain either. But then again, I don't really see anyone else on that team (Gayle?) that could be a good captain either. WI need some fresh talent, I think, to kind of get the team kickstarted in the right direction.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with all the things noted about Lara,

He also gets more introspective and isolated under pressure and being skipper will not help this.

However,

Good luck to him and maybe he is ready now to fill the role completely

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Couldn't be anyone else. Possibly Sarwan, but they don't want to ruin another decent player. Lara was the best man for the job.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jungle Jumbo said:
Couldn't be anyone else. Possibly Sarwan, but they don't want to ruin another decent player. Lara was the best man for the job.
Maybe Gayle? But you are right, there really is no one else for the job.

adharcric

International Coach
Lara doesn't really have the option of sitting out one-dayers here and there now does he? Tricky Windies management ..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
not surprised at all that Lara has been appointed skipper again, i was one of the few people in my area (not on this forum) who thought he should be given captaincy again.

My reasoning was that the argument with Lara over the years was that he didn't seem to motivate the players & it sort of affected his batting which was true i thought in his 1st stint as skipper 96-99. But in his second stint i thought he was much better & his batting did not decline plus he did motivate players i.e Dwayne Bravo.

Plus its not as if blokes like Gayle, Sarwan would give anyone confidence to motivate a side or be strong leaders, just look at how they bat. For me, fantastic for Lara one of my favourite players of all time:cool:

Complicated

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lara is the only player who seems to been able to handle the burden of captaincy and perform for the West Indies. Sarwan and Gayle, might have been good captains, but its a bit risk that what happened to Chanderpaul might repeat. I think the board made the right decision. Some said Ganga should be captain, but he isn't peroforming well enough to make the side.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
aussie said:
not surprised at all that Lara has been appointed skipper again, i was one of the few people in my area (not on this forum) who thought he should be given captaincy again.

My reasoning was that the argument with Lara over the years was that he didn't seem to motivate the players & it sort of affected his batting which was true i thought in his 1st stint as skipper 96-99. But in his second stint i thought he was much better & his batting did not decline plus he did motivate players i.e Dwayne Bravo.

Plus its not as if blokes like Gayle, Sarwan would give anyone confidence to motivate a side or be strong leaders, just look at how they bat. For me, fantastic for Lara one of my favourite players of all time:cool:
How does how they bat dictate their ability to motivate?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
roseboy64 said:
How does how they bat dictate their ability to motivate?
most of the times they have very casual, dont care attitudes to their batting & 50% of their dismissals are due to irresponsible shots & thats not good for senior members of the team & possible captains.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disgusted by this decision by the board. It's a huge backward step and a disgusting stop-gap move. It's a clear vote of "no confidence" in this team. That said, I'm not at all surprised. The WICB has taught me well.

Ganga to be the next West Indies captain then, as they clearly have no faith in Sarwan.
I must say, I'm quite proud of this headline.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Meh, I don't think it's as bad as everyone is making it out. He was a good captain when not having ridiculous amounts of trouble coping with his own personal problems, and he'll only be in the job for a year, or two, I assume. If I was Sarwan, I'd be trying to learn a lot about the pressure's that face you when you're captain from Lara, and to maybe STOP THROWING YOUR WICKET AWAY ALL THE TIME!!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And what's the point of having a captain who will be gone in a year or two? Sarwan has been vice-captain for several years and if they won't give him the captaincy until Lara is retired, that's a serious lack of faith in his leadership abilities. If they really think that there is no better leader than Lara in the Caribbean, well... that's just sad.