• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara appointed captain

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And what's the point of having a captain who will be gone in a year or two? Sarwan has been vice-captain for several years and if they won't give him the captaincy until Lara is retired, that's a serious lack of faith in his leadership abilities. If they really think that there is no better leader than Lara in the Caribbean, well... that's just sad.
It's a job nobody seems to want - the 'poisoned chalice' of world cricket at the moment.

I reckon they decided it with a 'hide-and-seek' championship. Lara just stood in the corner with a lampshade on his head and all the rest hid in the toilet.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
It's a job nobody seems to want - the 'poisoned chalice' of world cricket at the moment.

I reckon they decided it with a 'hide-and-seek' championship. Lara just stood in the corner with a lampshade on his head and all the rest hid in the toilet.
I'd wager Ganga and Joseph wanted it. For one of them, it would keep him in the team. For the other, it would get him into the team.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'd wager Ganga and Joseph wanted it. For one of them, it would keep him in the team. For the other, it would get him into the team.
Aye.

Should have grabbed the official lampshade before Lara.

Politically motivated appointment (again)?

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Then Ganga should of been of the man.

Pardon ones ignorance has Joseph good enough to be in the team, or how should I put it good enough to be in the team and score runs to stay in the team regardless of the captaincy? I must admit when I first saw him on his Test debut he looked like a walking wicket with his demonstration of why he likes to go fishing with his cricket bat - McGrath would have had him gone very quickly.

I'm seriously starting to think Sarwan must go down in the over-rated category.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am worried that this will inspire Lara to single handedly keep the Windies team afloat against India. Not that I mind watching Lara's masterpieces (nothing better to watch in cricket than him in full flow) but INdia need to win at least now, dammnit. :@

Mr Mxyzptlk

luckyeddie said:
Politically motivated appointment (again)?
Pratyush put it adequately in a discussion about it on MSN.

Lara is the "safe" choice. The WICB is not one for taking risks, despite the fact that safe cricket has us in the mess we're in now. Chanderpaul was the "safe" choice this time last year...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Lara is the "safe" choice. The WICB is not one for taking risks, despite the fact that safe cricket has us in the mess we're in now. Chanderpaul was the "safe" choice this time last year...
Only the bolded part is what I said. I am quite pleased with Lara appointed captain.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
Only the bolded part is what I said. I am quite pleased with Lara appointed captain.
Oh yes, didn't mean to imply that you said the rest of it. Sorry. Poor phraseology.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

But they go and pick players like Fidel Edwards after one FC game and one FC wicket all what Lara said?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Its a tough job for anyone as captain at the moment. To use the old favourite, you can't pull your socks up when you're forced to go barefoot.

Mr Mxyzptlk

roseboy64 said:
That the WICB doesn't always go for the safe choice.
But that was on the advice of Lara. It's not like they had the brilliant idea themselves. I don't think they even knew who Fidel Edwards was. That doesn't disprove the WICB lukewarm theory IMO.

Craig

World Traveller
But it was still a risk to go on what he said.

Would it be no more of a risk say if I were the captain of the WI and wanted you in the team even if they had never heard of you but still did?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
But it was still a risk to go on what he said.

Would it be no more of a risk say if I were the captain of the WI and wanted you in the team even if they had never heard of you but still did?
Yes, but it wasn't the WICB initiative. They made the decision in the end, but it's not the same because one came on the advice of the seniormost player in the region. WICB initiatives aren't WICB-on-the-advice-of-Lara initiatives, so it's not really relevant.