Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old but Still Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    The comparison of Ganguly's punishment compared to Lehmann's is a good point though.
    Was Chris Broad the Match Referee ? AFAIK, it was Clive Lloyd who suspended Lehmann.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Additionally he wasn't given that ban solely for the 1 offence, the build-up of offences made it a Level whatever offence and thus the ban was applied.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Yeah, so much of the artice involves comparing apples with oranges.

Different punishments given by different referees, different situations and different player histories.

It is lazy and annoying writing.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Yeah exactly. He's officiated in a lot of matches involving asian teams, and he's punished them for things. So what? Unless there is something actually wrong with his decisions it's of no relevance, and even if he does make errors, accusing someone of racism requires a bit more than just "you did something which had a negative impact on someone that happened to be of X race".
    FaaipDeOiad, where did you get that avatar and who is it? I've seen it before on another forum a long long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by open365
    FaaipDeOiad, where did you get that avatar and who is it? I've seen it before on another forum a long long time ago.
    Itís Hunter S. Thompson.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dbaxo/hst2.jpg

Its the Doctor of Gonzo journalism. Although Gonzo doesn't come close to describing the excrement posing as reporting regarding Broad. He clearly sees the referee's role as being an activist one, but the comparisons were dodgy, and it sounded like one of Goebbel's diatribes ('the dreaded Broad', 'Broad was defeated by legendary fast bowler'). I'm pretty sure that Ganguly's ban came after repeated instances of the same offence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Ganguly has been a shocker with overrates and it used to annoy the hell out of me, but I distinctly remember arguing against Ganguly's ban for his offence because the poor over rates that much had a lot to do with Salman Butt's cramping during his maiden ton and having to dry the ball almost every 2nd delivery because it was wet.

IMO they jumped on the "Let's make Ganguly pay for his past overrate offences" at the wrong time, and even so, continous late overrates still isn't worse than an offensive racist remark. No way in hell.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I found it pretty interesting, although the author has stretched it a bit but there is some truth in that

Great Article, opened a can of beans
    ________

Regards,

Salil Benegal

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Chris Broad is an idiot. And he likes to be at the centre of attention. All that is obvious. But racism is too strong a work, like the others have pointed out. I still have no doubt that he is amongst the worse match referees today and needs to be taken out. But he doesn't even compare to that joker Cammie Smith.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Ganguly has been a shocker with overrates and it used to annoy the hell out of me, but I distinctly remember arguing against Ganguly's ban for his offence because the poor over rates that much had a lot to do with Salman Butt's cramping during his maiden ton and having to dry the ball almost every 2nd delivery because it was wet.

IMO they jumped on the "Let's make Ganguly pay for his past overrate offences" at the wrong time, and even so, continous late overrates still isn't worse than an offensive racist remark. No way in hell.
    Let's remember that Lehmann made the remark in question when he was off the field, though. It doesn't excuse it, but I think you can make a fair argument that banning a player for a long period for something he said on the way to the dressing room is a bit out of the sphere of control for a match referee, while consistently slow over rates are not.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Who banned Lehmann then? The ACB/Cricket Australia? I can't recall it was that long ago.

And I'm sure if someone is heard showing dissent to an umpire off the field, but on the way to the dressing room, he'd still be punished by the match referee.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Who banned Lehmann then? The ACB/Cricket Australia? I can't recall it was that long ago.

And I'm sure if someone is heard showing dissent to an umpire off the field, but on the way to the dressing room, he'd still be punished by the match referee.
    It was the ICC itself, rather than the Match Referee. Clive Lloyd (who was the referee) reprimanded Lehmann, and Malcolm Speed (interestingly another person who is regularly accused of racism on ICF and similar sites) suspended Lehmann, after the apology was issued.

From an Age article:

"I am aware that Mr Lehmann has apologised for his actions and that the Sri Lankan team was reluctant to lay any formal charges," Speed said.

"I have, however, carefully considered the situation and in the interests of eradicating racial vilification in international cricket I am bound to lay this charge." Lehmann was severely reprimanded by match referee Clive Lloyd, who acted on an informal complaint from Sri Lanka's team management after the Australian was overheard making a racial slur as he entered the dressing room after he was run out in his team's run chase.

The middle-order batsman also drew strong censure from Sri Lankan cricket chairman Hemaka Amerasuriya, who said if the comments were not racist they were close to it. "We are very unhappy this has happened," Amerasuriya said. "I'm not going to make a broad statement about Australia being racist, but comments of this nature are really unfortunate.

"There is no doubt that this borders on racism."

And I think with the referee and dissent, it would depend. If a player was showing dissent while walking off the field, certainly, but if he was overheard saying he edged an LBW call or something while walking into the dressing room, I doubt he would be punished for dissent, at least not by the match ref. I don't think anyone would say Lehmann didn't deserve the suspension, but it's not as though he racially abused a player on the field, in which case he would have recieved a much bigger penalty, certainly more than Ganguly did. Apples and oranges.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 29-04-2006 at 01:00 PM.

It doesn't matter where Lehmann racially abused the SriLankan Player, the fact is he did is as a cricketer, it was as part of his frustration on the cricket field, hence it is still a much lesser punishment. He should have got a life ban for such an act.

That said, this thread is not about Lehmann and his racial outbursts. This article in the first post tried to paint Broad as a racist by comparing apples and oranges, by putting up incorrect information. Broad didn't ban Lehman, ICC did. Broad's playing career has nothing to do with his role as a referee.
    Last edited by Sanz; 29-04-2006 at 02:33 PM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Let's remember that Lehmann made the remark in question when he was off the field, though. It doesn't excuse it, but I think you can make a fair argument that banning a player for a long period for something he said on the way to the dressing room is a bit out of the sphere of control for a match referee, while consistently slow over rates are not.
    Exactly, thats the attitude why some get away scot free !

It's never "too much" or a "bit" for some

Oh well

U19 Cricketer
    H. Singh should have been sorted out earlier, he was chucking with impunity for years. Broad wasn't afraid of being called a racist (which is the logical conclusion of choice for many). Do we have any1 else as brave as Broad on the panel? And why'd he leave?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information