• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Channel Nine - Warne In; Chappell, Greig Under Pressure

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Francis said:
I don't quite know how to feel about this.

First off, I love Tony Greig, he's one of my all-time favorite cricket characters. He has a tendency to say dumb things, but he's so good at rubbing people the wrong way. It's good for entertainment. I love the way he almost deliberately says things that will get Bill Lawry fired up.

Secondly, I also love Bill Lawry. The most biast commentater on earth and yet he gets away with it ways Boyc and Beefy can't. People think Tony Greig says dumb things, but Lawry takes the cake. The calls strokes that played and missed well left. His bias toward Gilchrist is hilarious. When he went on a rant on how he is his favorite player, all of a sudden everything Gilchrist did was gold. Missing balls and their well left, coming off edges and it's well guided. On a more positive note, I do like the emotion he brings to cricket games. The most intense ODI situations are made better with Bill Lawry saying "oh it's all happening here at the MCG." Or "dear or dearie me." Always such emotion like everything is the end of the world and it works quite nicely.

Ian Chappell is someone I have mixed feelings over. In a way he reminds me of a boring old man who keeps telling the same story so many times. But some of what he says is really interesting, like he'd say Andy Robert's belived the faster delivery was more potent than the slower one, so save a little pace. Now that's good information, and it's interesting. But he says it soo much. I've honestly heard him talking about the calibre of seagulls in Adelaide and how tough they are. He's the most expendable.

Slats should be in easily, did well for C4 and can have chemistry with even NZ commentaters.

To be honest, I didn't dig Warne's commentary as much as others did in 2003. But he's a character and the game needs those. Beefy isn't the best commentater but he's somebody you'd want in the spotlight. To this day when I watch Sky News and any reporter wants an opinion on the England team, they ask Beefy. And he's a face all recognise and listen to.
NZ commentators - Ian Smith and Jeremy Coney take the biscuit for biased commentary! Agree Slater got on with them well. Bill Lawry is also like a worn slipper. Ritchie and Slater are the best by far. Don't mind Ian Healy - awful voice but very interesting. Just in case you thought Chappeli knew a lot - next time sit close to the TV and you can hear the Director telling Chappeli some interesting fact that he later repeats. However, I think Chappeli should be in the team just because of his perspective - he really cuts to the chase.

Blaze

Banned
Ian Healy is awful. He is the worst commentator in world cricket. If he makes the ashes line up I will cry.

The Ashes line up should be the same as Channel 4 last year... but Lawry for Atherton.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Actually I quite like that. You have to have somebody to back them when South Africa or Sri Lanka are in town.
Well said. Its better to have people with differing view points instead of everone being part of a cheering squad for the same side.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I thought that Greig commentated a lot differently over in England for C4 than what he does in Australia. Much preferred him over in Eng.
Yeah I agree. I also found his little fights with Boycott more amusing than the Lawry ones, I guess because Lawry/Greig is old hat now in Australia.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
JASON said:
I guess he didn't suck up to Aussies during the last 2 series V SA and was pretty Candid and forthright in his comments and no doubt that touched some nerves.
Greig is just a tosser fullstop. Get rid of him and bring in Atherton, Akram, Holding, Harsha Boghle etc when we are playing those countries. Holding was biased as hell when the WI were here but he is still great to listen to.

JASON said:
I love Tony Greig and Chappell for being 2 of the most genuine, honest and neutral commentators on Channell 9 who don't follow the theme of 'Suck up to the Aussies as much as you can so that the cricketers and TV audience will love you, even if its not not truthful ' .
Calling Greig neutral is right up there with calling GW Bush a pacifist.

Anyway that is the exact reason I hate Healy so much. He cheers Australia on and unlike Bill Lawry has no entertainment value. What intensifies my dislike for him is that it is pretty obvious that he has been told by the producers to be "more like Bill" (over the top, exciting etc) and he is dreadful at it.

howardj

International Coach
When was the last time Bill had a performance review!

Never, I'd venture.

It's just a long, rolling contract - to be renewed at your own pleasure.

Good to finally see a shake-up.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Ian Healy is awful. He is the worst commentator in world cricket.
not even close, i've heard worse in Mainder Singh, Amair Sohail, Srinath, Cullinan..

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
armchairumpire said:
NZ commentators - Ian Smith and Jeremy Coney take the biscuit for biased commentary!
Richly ironic coming from an Australian.

Ian Smith admitted he has to give it to you Aussies when he's in the Channel 9 commentary box or New Zealanders would barely be praised for their good efforts on the field - which the likes of Bill Lawry only ever mark down as a mistake by the Australians.

Craig

World Traveller
TT Boy said:
Never heard of Pat Symcox, Allan Donald and Daryll Cullinan?
Of course I have.

I mean they have had guys who only played only FC cricket as commentators and they are the ones I am talking about.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Voltman said:

Ian Smith admitted he has to give it to you Aussies when he's in the Channel 9 commentary box or New Zealanders would barely be praised for their good efforts on the field - which the likes of Bill Lawry only ever mark down as a mistake by the Australians.
They talk too much! Have you noticed how Richie says more with less?

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't mind Tony staying, if some force of nature can stop him flogging crap merchandise. Ian Chappel annoys me - which is a shame because as previously mentioned he has some good anecdotes (at least the first twenty times you here them) and offers good insights. But he's irritating because he can't move past captaincy mistakes as he sees them (prob understandable given his passion for the game and the fact he knows whereof he speaks) but instead just keeps mentioning it over and over and over and over and over again.

Richie is still the king. As armchairumpire said, says less with more, can make silence talk, and keeps some perspective, whilst still thoroughly enjoying each moment. He's going to be irreplaceable.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The teacher in me gets ****ed off when Warnie is not made to feel the consequences of his actions. Simone should have kicked him out of the house rather than let him stay@!

But, the cricket fan in me hails any attempt to get Chappeli out of the commentary box.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't mind Greig. He's comic relief and a decent commentator. He was part of the best commentary team I've seen in England for the last Ashes, and didn't do it any harm. Chappell is usually a pretty good commentator, but I'd be pleased to see Lawry go. He's just a joke these days.
I think he has always been one, to be honest. One of the most ridiculously biased commentators in the world, up there with the Symcoxes, Sidhus, Athertons, Rameez Rajas.

But he does bring in a bit of excitement to the game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Voltman said:

But him cheering on New Zealand against the Windies and ranting about a decision or two that is given against them is the height of biassed commentating. I am sorry, I would rather hear Srinath and Waqar Younis commentate together than Ian Smith at any time. At least those two are just pathetic. Smith is biased AND pathetic.