• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International Players in County Cricket

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
Does anybody know which international players have county contracts this year?

For the Kiwis i know Bond had to pull out of his one. Is Fleming going to return for Notts?

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
age_master said:
Yorks have the pick of the Internationals this season with Gillespie and Lehman for mine
As a Yorks supporter it's good to see that we can do ONE THING RIGHT.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
age_master said:
Interesting to see Johann Louw is now playing for Middlesex as an overseas player. I'm 99% certain he was @ Northants last year as a Kolpak. He must fancy his chances of getting a call to the Saffie colours I guess.

There's a few other ex-internationals knocking around the county scene who've "gone native", as it were: Spearman @ Gloucestershire, Law @ Lancs, Pothas & Ervine @ Hants, Goodwin @ Sussex, Charl Willoughby @ Somerset, Ray Price @ Worcester & the Flower bros @ Essex off the top of my head.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Interesting to see Johann Louw is now playing for Middlesex as an overseas player. I'm 99% certain he was @ Northants last year as a Kolpak. He must fancy his chances of getting a call to the Saffie colours I guess.

There's a few other ex-internationals knocking around the county scene who've "gone native", as it were: Spearman @ Gloucestershire, Law @ Lancs, Pothas & Ervine @ Hants, Goodwin @ Sussex, Charl Willoughby @ Somerset, Ray Price @ Worcester & the Flower bros @ Essex off the top of my head.
I think it is more to do with his wife is currently studying in South Africa than Johann harbouring any thoughts of playing for South Africa. The guy was unimpressive for the Eagles in Supersport and I believe he was not part of the one day squad for the Standard Bank Cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
EU-passport and Kolpak players are clearly a problem (well, most of them are, anyway - obviously the ones who've committed themselves to England are less so) and IMO "overseas" players would be best abolished completely until the EU-passport\Kolpak situation is sorted.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Richard said:
EU-passport and Kolpak players are clearly a problem (well, most of them are, anyway - obviously the ones who've committed themselves to England are less so) and IMO "overseas" players would be best abolished completely until the EU-passport\Kolpak situation is sorted.
Would that really benefit County Cricket?

Great to see so many NZ'ers in there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
As I understand it, all EU/Kolpak players have to commit themselves to representing England to be classified as such. Phil Jacques is a case in point, a UK passport holder who has the same rights of employment, residence & voting as I do, he's classified as an overseas player because he's now commited himself to Oz.

I also think the ECB is incrementally introducing a payment-reward system whereby counties are rewarded for producing English-qualified youngsters & which should help them get past the Saffie quick-fix solution by hitting them where it hurts most.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Very few Indians (I mean first XI indians). I'm a bit suprised by that. Unless of course county doesn't pay much?

How much does a stint at county usually pay an international players? If it pays more than $500,000, I am shocked that more Indian players are choosing not to go.

Loony BoB

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Very few Indians (I mean first XI indians). I'm a bit suprised by that. Unless of course county doesn't pay much?

How much does a stint at county usually pay an international players? If it pays more than $500,000, I am shocked that more Indian players are choosing not to go.
I would imagine that having something to do with...
1) India having such a busy international schedule, meaning the best Indian players wouldn't get as much time for County cricket.
and 2) India being in the same hemisphere and thus having the same domestic season, while Australia and NZ are in their off-season at the time Country cricket is being played.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:

Maybe because they're due in the WI before long. I think Kumble will play for Surrey later in the summer. Maybe it's also because Indian players haven't done brilliantly in the CC recently. Yuvraj was a disaster at Yorkshire, and Sehwag did very little at Leicestershire.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
wpdavid said:
Maybe because they're due in the WI before long. I think Kumble will play for Surrey later in the summer. Maybe it's also because Indian players haven't done brilliantly in the CC recently. Yuvraj was a disaster at Yorkshire, and Sehwag did very little at Leicestershire.
Dinesh Mongia and Murali Kartik have been good, though. I believe Kaif was reasonably good as well. I don't think the talent and ability of the Indian players has anything to do with them not getting contracts. It is more about the amount of cricket the Indians are playing and the fact that they like to rest in whatever off season they get.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I'm not entirely sure on how well Indian cricketers speak English, but that also might come into play when a county chooses who they would like on their side.