Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selection strategies by the opposite team?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Robin Smith was one of the best players of seamers you could ever wish to see...
    But I can't understand why a spinner would praise someone so fulsomely if they were so hopeless against his type of bowling (and Robin Smith really was HOPELESS against quality spin).
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Which is weird given that Robin Smith was your archetypal hopeless SAffie\English spin-facer...
    The fact is, Warne was not letting anyone see the full repetoire... and for my mind that's kidding people that you can't bowl as well as you know you can.
    Jack is right about the Hampshire connection. Warne was interested in getting a county stint for a while before he actually did, and it was his friendship with Smith (which dated back to the 93 Ashes I believe) which led him to join Hampshire, and they became closer whilst playing there presumably.

He dedicated a bit of time in his book to criticising the English selectors, and Hick and Smith are the examples he gave of fine players who had their careers hurt by being dropped and picked up again at strange times and for strange reasons. He said that Smith being dropped for his poor play of spin was a poor move, because Smith wasn't any worse than many other English batsmen (indeed, the implication was that Warne found bowling to Smith more difficult than some of the others), and Warne's solution was to bat Smith higher up the order, which was apparently what Smith wanted as well.

I believe he rated Hick because of that tour match against Worcs, primarily.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Anyway, regarding the original point about Hick and Warne, I think there's a difference between holding back a bit in a tour match yourself and deliberately failing to make another player appear better. I don't think Warne let Hick score runs off him just to make Hick look good, he just didn't do everything he could to stop Hick from doing so. He said something along the lines of "it's always hard to give away runs, even when you had been ordered by your captain to bowl within your best" about playing against Hick. And he also said he was impressed by the innings.

Request Your Custom Title Now! honestbharani's Avatar
    *waits for someone to say that Warne allowed Sachin to smash him in that tour game against Mumbai to give him false confidence*

We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

no but we've deliberately dropped catches of a particular batsman. They needed 6 an over and one of their openers was batting with a SR of about 20, and was taking alot of strike. We figured if we'd keep him in for long enough we would win comfortably. He got out (bowled) after abotu 15 overs, for 22 runs. Required run rate when he got out: 9.something. We dropped him about 3 times on purpose

Interestingly he was captain too.

Oh, and we won

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Why would you big someone up just because you was once team-mates/work colleagues? Smith was a good player, sure crap player of spin but against pace he was one of the best around, Warne probably appreciated his talent against that not against him.
    Because he sees more of Robin Smith than what he does other English players, as well as dealing with him as a person. If you get on well with someone, you're more likely to see their strengths as a cricketer, especially if you start talking a lot of cricke to each other, as two leaders of a cricket club would.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Anyway, regarding the original point about Hick and Warne, I think there's a difference between holding back a bit in a tour match yourself and deliberately failing to make another player appear better. I don't think Warne let Hick score runs off him just to make Hick look good, he just didn't do everything he could to stop Hick from doing so. He said something along the lines of "it's always hard to give away runs, even when you had been ordered by your captain to bowl within your best" about playing against Hick. And he also said he was impressed by the innings.
    indeed, i dont think Warne ever caused Hick problems in any form of the game. Hick was generally one of Englands best players of spin and he'd scored runs against the very best.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information