Thread: Dilip Doshi - Good Article

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Dilip Doshi - Good Article

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/c...ry/245284.html

I heard his name before, but he played before I was born, so I didn't really know him that well. It's a good article on him, and I especially liked the pieces about Gavaskar. What he says seems to fit in with what I see when I hear him speak.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/c...ry/245284.html

I heard his name before, but he played before I was born, so I didn't really know him that well. It's a good article on him, and I especially liked the pieces about Gavaskar. What he says seems to fit in with what I see when I hear him speak.
    Yes, it was nice to have my impression of SG confirmed by someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

FWIW Doshi's son plays for Surrey nowadays, and I think he's England-qualified.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The Indian team, he says, had a "one-track obsession" with money that he found `quite disgusting'. The BCCI, meanwhile, was "a government within a government, almost totally not accountable to anyone". Doshi was, in his own account, a man apart. He reports that he declined the opportunity to write a newspaper column because it would `bring out into the open what were essentially confidences'; he thought throughout his career that advertising and endorsements were "totally out of hand". He even recalls a team meeting before the first one-day international in India where the conversation was entirely devoted to sponsorship, prize money, logo royalties and match fees: "Cricket was discussed only as an afterthought".
    The more things change........

State Vice-Captain
    Waiting for SJS' comments. My impression that Doshi is a perpetual moaner.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    FWIW Doshi's son plays for Surrey nowadays, and I think he's England-qualified.
    I was going to say Nayan has no chance of ever playing for England but I remembered he does bowl a boring and completely unthreatening line so maybe he has an opportunity.

It's a very interesting and well-written article, but what grabbed my attention was that description of his bowling– how he got it to hang within the air for a long time. Spinners of today often rush the ball straight in, or just bowl a few slow-and-low deliveries. The comments on the administration are something most of us would agree with, but his comments on Sunny were shocking. I also pity Rajinder (The pacer) who had these catches dropped off him so often, and the slip-fielders couldn't care less.

Once I heard Harsha Bhogle ask Ravi Shastri, whether he (Ravi) was preferred over Dilip Doshi for his batting and kept in the side just to keep Dilip on his toes. Ravi rubbished that, saying the captain knew what he was doing and he too had a lot of respect for Dilip then.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Thread Information