• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dilip Doshi - Good Article

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/245284.html

I heard his name before, but he played before I was born, so I didn't really know him that well. It's a good article on him, and I especially liked the pieces about Gavaskar. What he says seems to fit in with what I see when I hear him speak.
Yes, it was nice to have my impression of SG confirmed by someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

FWIW Doshi's son plays for Surrey nowadays, and I think he's England-qualified.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Indian team, he says, had a "one-track obsession" with money that he found `quite disgusting'. The BCCI, meanwhile, was "a government within a government, almost totally not accountable to anyone". Doshi was, in his own account, a man apart. He reports that he declined the opportunity to write a newspaper column because it would `bring out into the open what were essentially confidences'; he thought throughout his career that advertising and endorsements were "totally out of hand". He even recalls a team meeting before the first one-day international in India where the conversation was entirely devoted to sponsorship, prize money, logo royalties and match fees: "Cricket was discussed only as an afterthought".
The more things change........

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
FWIW Doshi's son plays for Surrey nowadays, and I think he's England-qualified.
I was going to say Nayan has no chance of ever playing for England but I remembered he does bowl a boring and completely unthreatening line so maybe he has an opportunity.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a very interesting and well-written article, but what grabbed my attention was that description of his bowling– how he got it to hang within the air for a long time. Spinners of today often rush the ball straight in, or just bowl a few slow-and-low deliveries. The comments on the administration are something most of us would agree with, but his comments on Sunny were shocking. I also pity Rajinder (The pacer) who had these catches dropped off him so often, and the slip-fielders couldn't care less.

Once I heard Harsha Bhogle ask Ravi Shastri, whether he (Ravi) was preferred over Dilip Doshi for his batting and kept in the side just to keep Dilip on his toes. Ravi rubbished that, saying the captain knew what he was doing and he too had a lot of respect for Dilip then.