• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you face Brett Lee?

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
Hypothetically speaking, a TV show host approaches you asking whether you will face an over of Brett Lee off the long run for $1000. The catch is, you are only allowed two items of protective equipment (and a bat) and Brett will bowl atleast one bouncer.

Would you do it? What items would you take?

I would do it without a doubt, more for the challenge and thrill more then anything. I'd take helmet and pads. If he is going to bowl a bouncer, the helmet is there just incase otherwise death would be a consequence. Some may question going in without a box, though it is fairly rare that someone gets hit in the box, I'd take my chances and save myself some shattered legs.

archie mac

International Coach
I would pay to face him. Yes the lid and pads, and I would sneak my box in, as if they are going to check:cool:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. Helmet and pads. I assume we're allowed shoes? If not, the thought of a yorker smashing all my toes might dissuade me from participating. Otherwise, just get ready to duck, and hope the ball hits the bat or your pads.

One could always do a Craig McDermott and back away to square leg.

sideshowtim

Banned
Yes I'd be honoured to do it, It would be a highlight of my life. I'd wear helmets and a pad and try and keep out of the way of the ball and not even try and get a bat on it unless it was heading for my nuts.

Swervy

International Captain
andyc said:
Haha nice thread. I'd take helmet and box, thanks.
would need a very big box i think, given you would need big balls to take up this challenge, he would have a big target to aim for in the groinal regions

I think i would go in with the helmet and pads

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Haha nice thread. I'd take helmet and box, thanks.
Seriously? Can you imagine how much it would hurt to get hit in the shins by a cricket ball going at 150 kph? It's pretty unlikely to play out six balls from Lee without at least one hitting your legs, unless he bowls all bouncers.

howardj

International Coach
One day they put a camera on Michael Slater when he was facing Lee in the in-door nets in Sydney. Because it was in-doors, Lee's run-up was abbreviated. However, even off a few paces, the speed at which the balls comes through is quite insane.

Therefore, a box and helmet!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Seriously? Can you imagine how much it would hurt to get hit in the shins by a cricket ball going at 150 kph? It's pretty unlikely to play out six balls from Lee without at least one hitting your legs, unless he bowls all bouncers.
Yeah, but can you imagine how much it would hurt to get hit in the groinal region by a cricket ball going at 150kph?

sideshowtim

Banned
andyc said:
Yeah, but can you imagine how much it would hurt to get hit in the groinal region by a cricket ball going at 150kph?
You are less likely to get hit in the groin than you are in the legs. You could use your bat as protection from your groin.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I actually had a discussion along the lines of this with some friends a while back, but it was slightly different. It was "would you face an over from Shoaib Akhtar for £1,000,000 wearing nothing but a bat". We all said no. :laugh:

As far as this debate goes, I'd probably do it, and I'd take the helmet and box. I'm shocking against 65mph short stuff though, so I'd probably die. :D

sideshowtim

Banned
Barney Rubble said:
I actually had a discussion along the lines of this with some friends a while back, but it was slightly different. It was "would you face an over from Shoaib Akhtar for £1,000,000 wearing nothing but a bat". We all said no. :laugh:

As far as this debate goes, I'd probably do it, and I'd take the helmet and box. I'm shocking against 65mph short stuff though, so I'd probably die. :D
I'd to the Akhtar one for a million pounds! It's not even certain that you're going to get hit and I'm sure the money would pay for whatever head/groinal/face injuries you recieved.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Who would have thought any thread would get so many uses of "groinal"?
:laugh:

Current groinal count: 5

Edit: Whoops, 6 including that one

Swervy

International Captain
Groinal count= 5 before this post...6 including this post

edit: you beat me to it andyc...so thats 7 in all