• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BSNL EurAsia Series

adharcric

International Coach
Well I'm not sure too many people care about this A-team series, but it definitely will mean something because there are plenty of international fringe selections and prospects involved here.

Teams
India A, Pakistan A, Holland A in Group A
Sri Lanka A, Ireland A, UAE in Group B

Thoughts? Apathy? Anything?

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's good for the game on the whole. More 'A' series lead to better prepared players and therefore a higher standard of international cricket in the long run.

adharcric

International Coach
Autobahn said:
so UAE is comparable to a Minor Countries A-team?
I think Ireland and Holland are a little too arrogant these days. Even their regular teams shouldn't compete with India A, Pakistan A and Sri Lanka A. Yet they send out A teams!
UAE are humble. Humble minnows. :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
adharcric said:
I think Ireland and Holland are a little too arrogant these days. Even their regular teams shouldn't compete with India A, Pakistan A and Sri Lanka A. Yet they send out A teams!
UAE are humble. Humble minnows. :)
Maybe they can't send out the full teams, for whatever reasons. Alternatively, it may be a situation like the Bangladesh 'A' team of a few years back, where it was practically the same as the senior team in terms of personnel.

Dravid

International Captain
The new stadium getting some attention, I like that. I seriously love the design of this stadium

adharcric

International Coach
Ireland A

William Porterfield*, Conor Armstrong, Trevor Britton, Kenneth Carroll, Martinus Fourie, Mark Hutchinson, Gary Kidd, Jason Molins, John Mooney, Kevin O' Brien, Boyd Rankin, David Simpson, Roger Whelan, Gary Wilson

adharcric

International Coach
India A

Venugopal Rao*, Robin Uthappa, Shikhar Dhawan, Sivaramakrishnan Vidyut, Rohit Sharma, Subramaniam Badrinath, Abhishek Jhunjhunwala, Reetinder Singh Sodhi,
Dinesh Karthik+, Piyush Chawla, Ravindra Jadeja, Shib Shankar Paul, RP Singh, VRV Singh

Preferred XI
R Uthappa
S Dhawan
R Sharma (A Jhunjhunwala)
V Rao*
S Badrinath (A Jhunjhunwala)
RS Sodhi (S Vidyut)
D Karthik+
P Chawla (R Jadeja)
VRV Singh
RP Singh
SS Paul

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
I hope RP singh performs so he can get a chance in the national team again...I love his bowling

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Thats a nice nice team there for the indian's there.. i so dearly want to see Sodhi in the runs.. Anyone with indian Domestic arena, could u let me know how the performances of Ambati Rayadu of Andhra/Hyderabad is.. like is he any good to be in the A team or does he have any chances...

alternative

Dravid said:
I hope RP singh performs so he can get a chance in the national team again...I love his bowling

I want to also see VRV perform.. been hearing lots of things about his pace and so on.. but he is yet to show that.. so i want him to perform here to get into the main arena..

adharcric

International Coach
On Ambati Rayudu - once touted as India's next batting prodigy but he has fallen away remarkably in the domestic scene. Still, he's very young (20 or so I think) and one good season will get him into the national scheme, at least a chance at the Challengers. But forget about him for the 07 World Cup, no chance whatsoever.

On VRV Singh - He bowled rubbish against England and facing KP didn't exactly help either. He is rated highly though and not just due to his pace, he's actually done well in domestic cricket. Perhaps he is unfit or simply struggling with his rythm, but this A tour is a great chance for him to get that rythm back. Finding a place in the World Cup squad will be tough with the selectors in love with AA and RP Singh to compete with, but a few good performances here might see him get a call-up in the Windies tests.

alternative

On Rayudu i was just wondering how he plays and stuff, i knew he doesn't possess any chance watso ever with the WC 07, but i dare say he might be a future prospect for our team.. he is superb on field it seems.. but which youngster isn't..

adharcric

International Coach
Let's take a look at the India A prospects.
Robin Uthappa, Shikhar Dhawan, Venugopal Rao, Dinesh Karthik, Piyush Chawla, RP Singh and VRV Singh are all either national reserves or genuine fringe players.
What about someone like Sodhi or Paul? Do you guys reckon they have a chance of a national call-up if they shine here?

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
adharcric said:
Venugopal Rao*, Robin Uthappa, Shikhar Dhawan, Sivaramakrishnan Vidyut, Rohit Sharma, Subramaniam Badrinath, Abhishek Jhunjhunwala, Reetinder Singh Sodhi,
Dinesh Karthik+, Piyush Chawla, Ravindra Jadeja, Shib Shankar Paul, RP Singh, VRV Singh

Preferred XI
R Uthappa
S Dhawan
R Sharma (A Jhunjhunwala)
V Rao*
S Badrinath (A Jhunjhunwala)
RS Sodhi (S Vidyut)
D Karthik+
P Chawla (R Jadeja)
VRV Singh
RP Singh
SS Paul
Uthappa is selected for the Windies ODI tour

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Let's take a look at the India A prospects.
Robin Uthappa, Shikhar Dhawan, Venugopal Rao, Dinesh Karthik, Piyush Chawla, RP Singh and VRV Singh are all either national reserves or genuine fringe players.
What about someone like Sodhi or Paul? Do you guys reckon they have a chance of a national call-up if they shine here?
VR Singh is a good pick, but he should be fully fit to be effective. It seems he was carrying a bagful of injuries when he made his India debut, as his fitness was still doubtful at that time. A bowler similar in style and power to Harmison, he can suddenly take a burst of quick wickets and push the opposition on the backfoot. He's not vry accurate, but his style doesn't demand it– he's an all-out attacker. The selectors should keep him in the India-A team for a long time, till he's ready fo his next India cap. On his day, he can change the course of a match.

SS Paul will only make up the numbers. He's got good control over the ball, and lasts a long time, so he's a good seamer. However, he lacks value addition. His fielding is ordinary, his batting is no factor and he's only medium-pace. The team can use a stock bowler, but he's not an immediate India prospect.

Sodhi should have made the A team last year, when he wa in hot form playing for Punjab. When he made his debut for India, he was a fiery, energetic young lad with an underbuilt body. Predictably, he didn't last long and got injured in early 2002. When he came back, the new Punjab coach, Intikhab Alam, brought about some changes to his bowling, and he finished the season with a decent average, but not too many wickets, and often played as a fourth stock seamer. His batting is not so aggressive now, and rather conservative, being an opening batsman. He can return to the side if he can start hitting more big shots and lasts long spells. Likewise Vidyut, who was a spinner who used to hit the big shots when he started off. Now he's a sticky opening batsman who bowls once in a while, but it's never too late to revert. A second spinner and sixth, quick-scoring batsman will fit in nicely– maybe India's answer to Shoaib Malik.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
SS Paul will only make up the numbers. He's got good control over the ball, and lasts a long time, so he's a good seamer. However, he lacks value addition. His fielding is ordinary, his batting is no factor and he's only medium-pace. The team can use a stock bowler, but he's not an immediate India prospect.
By the same token McGrath lacks value addition, and is relatively speaking a medium pacer with good control over the ball...