• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Cricket Books

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Worst cricket books ever read? There are some shockers.

My favourite worst one is Calypso Cricket by Roland Fishman. Mid 80's tour by Oz of the Windies. Lots of the low lights of the tour, not much else. Supposedly written from Greg Matthews perspective. I unfortunately was given not one, but two copies of this wonderful read.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Voltman said:
Balance of Power by Stephen Fleming. :D

Learned nothing interesting about him.
I really liked that book. Didn't know much about him beforehand so I found out quite a lot. It was actually quite well written by Richard Boock. Most of the stuff in it had already been quite well documented, but it was interesting to hear Fleming's perception of the situation.

Liked the cover as well. Bit tongue in cheek I think.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I guess it's different for me, living in New Zealand. I'd heard most of the things before, and I'm always confused why a player would put out a biography mid-career anyway. It's not like he can say what he really thinks about current players/staff.

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:
I guess it's different for me, living in New Zealand. I'd heard most of the things before, and I'm always confused why a player would put out a biography mid-career anyway. It's not like he can say what he really thinks about current players/staff.
Have you read Justin Marshall's book? It is the worst sports biography I have read by some distance.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Mark Richardson's book, I read the opening three chapters in the bookstore a few weeks ago. Watching paint dry would give you more enjoyment.

My favourite one is Dermot Reeve's autobiography he released about 10 years ago.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Have you read Justin Marshall's book? It is the worst sports biography I have read by some distance.
No, I haven't - and I have no intention of doing so. The guy loves the sound of his own voice and I cannot fathom how anyone from Mataura has anything worth listening to anyway.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
James said:
Mark Richardson's book, I read the opening three chapters in the bookstore a few weeks ago. Watching paint dry would give you more enjoyment.

My favourite one is Dermot Reeve's autobiography he released about 10 years ago.
Richos book - don't think it's swum across the Tasman yet. Can imagine the chapter headings - My love of lycra. Spoof Backfired.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
archie mac said:
Do you need help to sleep? Doug Walters: Looking for Runs Zzzzzzzzz:sleep:
I remember that book. That was a while ago. Please don't say anything bad about Dougie. Don't know how he would have survived the current packed schedule. He was famous for going to the darts board, throwing a dart and stating that he was warmed up and ready to bat. No pulled hamstrings, groins, bruised heels, broken ribs etc for Dougie!

If you really can't sleep what about reading all or some of Steve Waugh's tour diaries?

Has anyone read Dirk Wellham's biography Solid Knocks and second thoughts? I particularly liked the chapter where he recounted how he knocked out a spectator who was holding the gate open for him. What about Neil Harvey - My World of Cricket - sounds a bit like Wayne's World.

What about your favourite chapter of the worst books? Can I have chapter names. I'll start you off. Dirk Wellham - Dr Kim and Mr Hughes, Interrogated and Humiliated. What about chapters from Mike Brealey's The Art of Captaincy - 'My G-d look what they sent me' - the captain and selection or Many hands make light work - sometimes.

archie mac

International Coach
armchairumpire said:
I remember that book. That was a while ago. Please don't say anything bad about Dougie. Don't know how he would have survived the current packed schedule. He was famous for going to the darts board, throwing a dart and stating that he was warmed up and ready to bat. No pulled hamstrings, groins, bruised heels, broken ribs etc for Dougie!

If you really can't sleep what about reading all or some of Steve Waugh's tour diaries?

Has anyone read Dirk Wellham's biography Solid Knocks and second thoughts? I particularly liked the chapter where he recounted how he knocked out a spectator who was holding the gate open for him. What about Neil Harvey - My World of Cricket - sounds a bit like Wayne's World.

What about your favourite chapter of the worst books? Can I have chapter names. I'll start you off. Dirk Wellham - Dr Kim and Mr Hughes, Interrogated and Humiliated. What about chapters from Mike Brealey's The Art of Captaincy - 'My G-d look what they sent me' - the captain and selection or Many hands make light work - sometimes.
You won't hear anything bad about Dougie from me :cool:

I am hopeless at remembering chapter names, one I do remember is from David Frith's great book 'By His Own Hand' it was called "Turnip Head" Trott :)

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
archie mac said:
You won't hear anything bad about Dougie from me :cool:

I am hopeless at remembering chapter names, one I do remember is from David Frith's great book 'By His Own Hand' it was called "Turnip Head" Trott :)
So flip through your extensive cricket book collection and find some good chapter headings. I had a lot of fun doing that the other evening. Yes, I know I should get out more.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
armchairumpire said:
So flip through your extensive cricket book collection and find some good chapter headings. I had a lot of fun doing that the other evening. Yes, I know I should get out more.

You're right. You should. :p

And for your next trick, do you measure bats in sports stores to ensure they're the proper size? :D

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Voltman said:
You're right. You should. :p

And for your next trick, do you measure bats in sports stores to ensure they're the proper size? :D
Only 3 types of bats - aluminium a la D K Lillee, ordinary bat, and the R T Ponting super graphite bat with added Kryptonite. No need to measure!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Autobio by Justin Langer. He needs to learn some anger, and criticise people for once.

softy

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
GoT_SpIn said:
Autobio by Justin Langer. He needs to learn some anger, and criticise people for once.

softy
Why don't people wait until they finish their careers before writing bios? They can then write 800 page bios rather than the 200 pages that really are nothing new.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
armchairumpire said:
Why don't people wait until they finish their careers before writing bios? They can then write 800 page bios rather than the 200 pages that really are nothing new.
It was interesting, but he was really nice and soft. Nothing juicy

Didn't blame or criticise anyone

All lovely and wonderfull to everyone

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
GoT_SpIn said:
It was interesting, but he was really nice and soft. Nothing juicy

Didn't blame or criticise anyone

All lovely and wonderfull to everyone
That's the trouble when you write books in the middle of your career - don't want to offend anyone!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
armchairumpire said:
That's the trouble when you write books in the middle of your career - don't want to offend anyone!
Indubiably

You could tell he was trying not to tread on anyones toes

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Has anyone ever written the cricket equivalent of the Latham diaries?

For those who aren't up with Oz politics, Mark Latham is a former leader of the opposition (recently resigned) who wrote a no holds barred book of such bile and vitriole that spilled the dirt on all his colleagues, most of whom are still in parliament. Very clever fellow, so it was quite on the money.