• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Cricket Books

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
armchairumpire said:
Still think you need to have something interesting to say. Otherwise it can end up being put in the $2 bin at your local bookshop. Always my worst fear that I should write a book that ends up in a cheapy discount bookshop. I've picked up quite a few worst cricket books that way.
Thats why you do it after you retire. So you can criticise people and what not

archie mac

International Coach
armchairumpire said:
Still think you need to have something interesting to say. Otherwise it can end up being put in the $2 bin at your local bookshop. Always my worst fear that I should write a book that ends up in a cheapy discount bookshop. I've picked up quite a few worst cricket books that way.
I picked up 'The Cricket War' by Gideon Haigh for $4.95 which is a great book on WSC.

When I told him this he said he had purchased about a dozen copies of the book for $2 as he didnot want to see them in the 'cheap bin' :)

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
archie mac said:
I picked up 'The Cricket War' by Gideon Haigh for $4.95 which is a great book on WSC.

When I told him this he said he had purchased about a dozen copies of the book for $2 as he didnot want to see them in the 'cheap bin' :)
That wasn't a bad book. I think I read that at some stage. If you wait long enough most cricket books probably end up in the 'cheap bin' or at the swap shop. I've picked up a few cricket holiday reads and swapped them for something else. Always head for the sport section first, then the bio section.

The bookshop with the cricket enthusiast owner is Sydney is Moirs Bookshop in Lane Cove - owners are Ian and Rosemary Moir. I think Mr Moir (I always think of him as that) co-wrote a cricket book at one stage in his life. It is an independent book shop and the staff are very helpful. Mr Moir knows lots about cricket. Will ask them about internet and phone orders. They have ordered books for me before.

archie mac

International Coach
armchairumpire said:
The bookshop with the cricket enthusiast owner is Sydney is Moirs Bookshop in Lane Cove - owners are Ian and Rosemary Moir. I think Mr Moir (I always think of him as that) co-wrote a cricket book at one stage in his life. It is an independent book shop and the staff are very helpful. Mr Moir knows lots about cricket. Will ask them about internet and phone orders. They have ordered books for me before.
Okay thanks, that would be grreat :)

jcas0167

International Debutant
Has anyone ever written the cricket equivalent of the Latham diaries?

For those who aren't up with Oz politics, Mark Latham is a former leader of the opposition (recently resigned) who wrote a no holds barred book of such bile and vitriole that spilled the dirt on all his colleagues, most of whom are still in parliament. Very clever fellow, so it was quite on the money.
Ken Rutherford's 'A Hell of A Way to Make a Living'. It usually takes someone who has left the scene on bad terms as Rutherford had to write something that scathing. As others have noted books written mid-career like Stephen Fleming or Dan Vettori's, tend to be less controversial.

Also, disagree about Fishman's Calypso Cricket. I thought it was provided a great insight into life on that 91 tour. Apparently annoyed a lot of players though so they didn't allow journalists that kind of access again for a while.