• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Cricket Books

howardj

International Coach
armchairumpire said:
Has anyone ever written the cricket equivalent of the Latham diaries?

For those who aren't up with Oz politics, Mark Latham is a former leader of the opposition (recently resigned) who wrote a no holds barred book of such bile and vitriole that spilled the dirt on all his colleagues, most of whom are still in parliament. Very clever fellow, so it was quite on the money.
No, Scott Muller hasn't put a book out yet.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
armchairumpire said:
Can't write, can't think. Perhaps Matty Sinclair can put out a book. Any takers for the title?
If he goes to South Africa, then he could call it "Skipping the country".

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I think Hadlee's high opinion of himself showed through a bit too much in his one.
Haven't read his book, but I heard that about Hadlee. A bloke from NZ was telling me he could actually be a jerk, which he didn't elaborate on... can anybody help me there?

Anyway the problem with autobiographies is that for them to be good you have to tell the truth and tell the dirt and knock people a bit. Like Diego Maradonna's book, he comes off as a scumbag, but he's at least speaking his mind (which he has no problem doing). I haven't read Steve Waugh's book, but I hear he held no punches.

Saw King Viv's autobiography at my local library the other day, looked interesting. I might check it out!

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Francis said:
Haven't read his book, but I heard that about Hadlee. A bloke from NZ was telling me he could actually be a jerk, which he didn't elaborate on... can anybody help me there?

Anyway the problem with autobiographies is that for them to be good you have to tell the truth and tell the dirt and knock people a bit. Like Diego Maradonna's book, he comes off as a scumbag, but he's at least speaking his mind (which he has no problem doing). I haven't read Steve Waugh's book, but I hear he held no punches.

Saw King Viv's autobiography at my local library the other day, looked interesting. I might check it out!
While Hadlee might be the best thing in NZ cricket ever, there is never an excuse for thinking you are any better than anyone else (if indeed this is true). I met Bill Brown last year. He is Australia's oldest living cricketer - aged 92. He was so humble and pleasant. Nice to see. However, if the bio of someone really nice is boring, then that doesn't make for interesting reading.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Francis said:

Do you mean Steve waugh held back no punches or threw none? I probably should know since i have read the book, but i cant remember much apart from it being preety good.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
armchairumpire said:
Why don't people wait until they finish their careers before writing bios? They can then write 800 page bios rather than the 200 pages that really are nothing new.
Sell more during their career as they are more well known and not forgotten.

archie mac

International Coach
GoT_SpIn said:
Sell more during their career as they are more well known and not forgotten.
Yes that is true, but sometimes quality will see you through.

Arthur Mailey release his bio circa 1956 and retired from Test cricket in 1926. The book was a best seller :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:

Arthur Mailey release his bio circa 1956 and retired from Test cricket in 1926. The book was a best seller :)
Didnt know that little fact. I suppose Slater's book would have sold reasonably well but most autobios by cricketers would probably not sell well after they have retired, regardless of quality. Though there will be exceptions, like if shane warne does something

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Had Cronje or Azhar tried writing after their career got over, they would have been exceptions too.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
archie mac said:

...but that was back when people would actually read.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
GoT_SpIn said:
Didnt know that little fact. I suppose Slater's book would have sold reasonably well but most autobios by cricketers would probably not sell well after they have retired, regardless of quality. Though there will be exceptions, like if shane warne does something
Think you might be right. My Dad used to say that 5 years after they have retired you wouldn't recognise your current favourite cricketer in the supermarket. Though I think I'd recognise Rick McCosker anywhere! Did he ever write a bio?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
If he goes to South Africa, then he could call it "Skipping the country".
Alternatively if he stays at home and writes a documentary, he can call it 'Skippy country' .

<click click>*

* Rough translation : "What's that, skip? You think that there's a basic flaw in Ricky Ponting's leadership capabilities inasmuch that he continually reacts to circumstances as opposed to taking a measured approach to them? Not only that but you have your doubts as to whether he is the right man to lead Australia in the 2006/7 Ashes battle, even though he is an all-time great batsman? Furthermore, it is your considered opinion that world hunger could be resolved at a stroke if we could educate people into eating gladdies, and that probably the greatest song of all time is 'Two Little Boys' by Rolf Harris? And old Bert's fallen down the mineshaft again, the flaming old drongo?"

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
armchairumpire said:
Think you might be right. My Dad used to say that 5 years after they have retired you wouldn't recognise your current favourite cricketer in the supermarket. Though I think I'd recognise Rick McCosker anywhere! Did he ever write a bio?
Five years is a little short but generally your pappy has the right idea, probably the best thing time would be right after your retire so that you could throw some punches yet people still remember you well enough to buy :D

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
GoT_SpIn said:
Five years is a little short but generally your pappy has the right idea, probably the best thing time would be right after your retire so that you could throw some punches yet people still remember you well enough to buy :D
Still think you need to have something interesting to say. Otherwise it can end up being put in the $2 bin at your local bookshop. Always my worst fear that I should write a book that ends up in a cheapy discount bookshop. I've picked up quite a few worst cricket books that way.