• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fixated on facts and figures!

Langeveldt

Soutie
DanielFullard said:
Idiotic point.

So cricket is a sport that can be played on paper then? Why even bother watching it if stats are all that matter because after all if thats all that matters to you you will surely get more pleasure out of looking at a scorecard than watching an actual game?

As Robertinho said......Im not sure why you posted that as it makes no sense whatsoever, unless you're a complete moron
Of course you can play cricket on paper, how do you think odds are worked out? Hunches? Gut feeling?

I love watching cricket, I'm not quite sure what your point is with that one, in my opinion, stats (if interpreted correctly) are the definitive method of telling how succesful a cricketer has been and how likely he is to be a success in the future.. Not whether he looks good/rubbish in some supporters eyes, just before you go calling people morons btw..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
DanielFullard said:
But yet again your point furthers the one I made, if a batsmen gets 50 runs but is horribly scrappy, lucky and faces easy bowling on paper it would seem he has a better day than a teammate who got 30 runs with masterful strokeplay against class bowling
Am I getting soft in the head or is it obvious that Batsman A DID have a better day.

May not be as pretty to watch and the crowd may not be as entertained but we play to help the team and last time I checked 50 was more than 30.

What good is masterful strokeplay if you get out for 30. If the batsman was a woman they would be a **** tease.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
If you played the Ashes 2005 ten times over, Australia would have won far more times than England, because statistically they are the better side
They were?

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
Am I getting soft in the head or is it obvious that Batsman A DID have a better day.

May not be as pretty to watch and the crowd may not be as entertained but we play to help the team and last time I checked 50 was more than 30.

What good is masterful strokeplay if you get out for 30. If the batsman was a woman they would be a **** tease.
My larger point was that the stats in that case are deciveing. I shouldn't have used the term "better day" as it messed up my point but hopefully you get it now

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Perfect example of my inital point at the match today.....

Mahmoods figures were 4-46 yet he was absolutely awful. He only managed to do so well because the Durham batsmen were playing nothing at all. They were taking no shots on even though Mahmood was bowling horribly