• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Club or Country?

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Club or Country?

It’s the age old question when it comes to the major sports. If it came down to the wire, would you prefer national success or club triumph? Would you rather see England be the best test side in the world and win the Worlc Cup and Dominate ODI’s, or would you rather your Club completed won the CC, NL and CGT??

Now, I sit firmly in the Club corner when it comes to Cricket. Football its country every time but for Cricket I would much rather see Durham win the County Championship than England win the World cup. Don’t get wrong, Id love to see England victorious in the 2007 tournament and it would be a great moment and Id be elated, but not as much as if Durham won their first trophy this season.

What about yourself?

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Country in any sport personally.
But are you attached to a club? Do you go down to a club every home game to watch?

I know every few people who follow thier club around the country as I do who would put club over country.

But don't get me wrong. I am very patriotic in all sports and in fact Cricket is the only one Id place club over country. I am a huge football fan but don't really "support" any clubs and even though I watch all the Tv game and attend the odd one in the North East my only real care is England. I love club football but am not attached to a club in anyway so England are the team where my passion lie.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
DanielFullard said:
But are you attached to a club? Do you go down to a club every home game to watch?

I know every few people who follow thier club around the country as I do who would put club over country.

But don't get me wrong. I am very patriotic in all sports and in fact Cricket is the only one Id place club over country. I am a huge football fan but don't really "support" any clubs and even though I watch all the Tv game and attend the odd one in the North East my only real care is England. I love club football but am not attached to a club in anyway so England are the team where my passion lie.
Well I support India over individual clubs, but thats no longer really my country.

For games like NFL or Basketball, I would much much much rather Philadelphia win than country win in the olympics (if NFL were in the olympics, that is).

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
But American Football is quite an insular sport so Id expect that. Basketball is too really although its growing like crazy in mainland Europe

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
id love hampshire to win the county championship and i care more about that than ODI's but Test matches will always be the most important and if England players cant play for there counties then that has to be accepted.
Football is less certain but i would just rather England win the world cup than Brentford get promoted or Newcaslte actualy win something (im greedy and have two clubs)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
England cricket over any county or club side - but I don't really have a County side, and it'd be daft to place recreational stuff higher. Still, I follow England religiously so it's not quite the same as football - the England cricket team is a team unit all year round, rather than a disparate group of players brought together every few weeks.

Football is a harder one to call. Major championships bring the whole country together fantastically, but City is such a big part of the winter that a promotion/title/cup season would probably mean more.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Pothas said:
id love hampshire to win the county championship and i care more about that than ODI's but Test matches will always be the most important and if England players cant play for there counties then that has to be accepted.
Don't worry. As a Durham fan we are hit hardest by the international duties but unlike some people at the ground I accept it as an inevitable part of the game

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Saints > GB (as long as GB are competetive)
Everton, Wigan Athletic, Partick Thistle > international football (who gives a crap?)
Scotland > Domestic yawnion (who gives a crap about yawnion clubs, too?)
England > counties

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
DanielFullard said:
Don't worry. As a Durham fan we are hit hardest by the international duties but unlike some people at the ground I accept it as an inevitable part of the game
I dont even consider Pietersen a Hampshire player, Tremlett is the primary concern but this year shouldnt see a repeat of last season when he spent half the summer as the 12th man in the England squad which i thought really effected his form.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Pothas said:
I dont even consider Pietersen a Hampshire player, Tremlett is the primary concern but this year shouldnt see a repeat of last season when he spent half the summer as the 12th man in the England squad which i thought really effected his form.
Thats the way I look at it too. People down at the ground, usually those in the latter stages of life, always complain and moan about not having Plunkett, Harmison and Collingwood but as I always stress thats not the way to look at it. We need to analyse the team based on what we have not what we haven't

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think it's very strange to support a national team over a a club in football. Unless you have no real interest in the sport and only follow England/whoever in major tournaments, which I guess is fair enough, then I consider this really very odd. It's completely different to cricket as Neil said and there is much less allegience to the national side. I'd take Leeds getting promoted anyday over England winning the World Cup as the two are complete polar opposites.

In cricket however, there is much more of a sense that the national side is more of an extension of the county teams. It's basically a separate team in that the regular England players rarely play consistently for their counties anyway and therefore there is much less animosity than in football where a player you may be cheering one week whilst playing for England will be back scoring against your team the next. If I was pushed to choose a county to support I suppose it would be Yorkshire, but I have no particular sadness when they lose.

Basically, football is streets ahead of cricket as my favourite sport, and I guess that may have some impact on my feelings towards club/country.

Football - Leeds
Cricket - England

I think that's fair enough!

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Country for cricket because it's the main focus of the game and happens regularly, but probably club for football, international football only really interests me for about a moth every two years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DanielFullard said:
Thats the way I look at it too. People down at the ground, usually those in the latter stages of life, always complain and moan about not having Plunkett, Harmison and Collingwood but as I always stress thats not the way to look at it. We need to analyse the team based on what we have not what we haven't
Rest assured - if you lack Plunkett too much it means England are in deep trouble!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DanielFullard said:
Club or Country?

It’s the age old question when it comes to the major sports. If it came down to the wire, would you prefer national success or club triumph? Would you rather see England be the best test side in the world and win the Worlc Cup and Dominate ODI’s, or would you rather your Club completed won the CC, NL and CGT??

Now, I sit firmly in the Club corner when it comes to Cricket. Football its country every time but for Cricket I would much rather see Durham win the County Championship than England win the World cup. Don’t get wrong, Id love to see England victorious in the 2007 tournament and it would be a great moment and Id be elated, but not as much as if Durham won their first trophy this season.

What about yourself?
In cricket terms, anyone who places domestic over international has misplaced loyalties.
Without a successful England team, attracting good headlines and sponsorship\broadcasting monies there IS no domestic game. That's the simple reality of today. The domestic game is completely reliant on the ECB, which gains most money from sponsorship and broadcasting income.
In football, it's totally different - I don't really care about international football any more, but I still take interest in Man U, though not as much as I did 1994-1998.
In cricketing terms, it's generally best if England get knocked-out of international tournaments that dominate the summer at the first hurdle. It's not something I often voice, because the I-hate-football attitude isn't a good one to be promulugating in cricketing circles.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's country for me. As much as I'd love Arsenal to win the European Cup, I'd happily go out in the semis & finish 5th behind T*ttenham if we won the World Cup.

With cricket I'm sort of armchair Yorkshire (on the flimsy basis I went to Uni in Hull), but being from Cambridgeshire I don't have a county of my own so it's really not even an issue in cricket.