Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Club or Country?

Club or Country?

Club or Country?

Itís the age old question when it comes to the major sports. If it came down to the wire, would you prefer national success or club triumph? Would you rather see England be the best test side in the world and win the Worlc Cup and Dominate ODIís, or would you rather your Club completed won the CC, NL and CGT??

Now, I sit firmly in the Club corner when it comes to Cricket. Football its country every time but for Cricket I would much rather see Durham win the County Championship than England win the World cup. Donít get wrong, Id love to see England victorious in the 2007 tournament and it would be a great moment and Id be elated, but not as much as if Durham won their first trophy this season.

What about yourself?
    Durham CCC Membership Holder
    Hartlepool CC Regular
    Peterlee CC Regular

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Country in any sport personally.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Ditto.

But are you attached to a club? Do you go down to a club every home game to watch?

I know every few people who follow thier club around the country as I do who would put club over country.

But don't get me wrong. I am very patriotic in all sports and in fact Cricket is the only one Id place club over country. I am a huge football fan but don't really "support" any clubs and even though I watch all the Tv game and attend the odd one in the North East my only real care is England. I love club football but am not attached to a club in anyway so England are the team where my passion lie.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielFullard
    But are you attached to a club? Do you go down to a club every home game to watch?

I know every few people who follow thier club around the country as I do who would put club over country.

But don't get me wrong. I am very patriotic in all sports and in fact Cricket is the only one Id place club over country. I am a huge football fan but don't really "support" any clubs and even though I watch all the Tv game and attend the odd one in the North East my only real care is England. I love club football but am not attached to a club in anyway so England are the team where my passion lie.
    Well I support India over individual clubs, but thats no longer really my country.

For games like NFL or Basketball, I would much much much rather Philadelphia win than country win in the olympics (if NFL were in the olympics, that is).

But American Football is quite an insular sport so Id expect that. Basketball is too really although its growing like crazy in mainland Europe

Breakout Champion!
    Hmmmm...

id love hampshire to win the county championship and i care more about that than ODI's but Test matches will always be the most important and if England players cant play for there counties then that has to be accepted.
    Football is less certain but i would just rather England win the world cup than Brentford get promoted or Newcaslte actualy win something (im greedy and have two clubs)

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    England cricket over any county or club side - but I don't really have a County side, and it'd be daft to place recreational stuff higher. Still, I follow England religiously so it's not quite the same as football - the England cricket team is a team unit all year round, rather than a disparate group of players brought together every few weeks.

Football is a harder one to call. Major championships bring the whole country together fantastically, but City is such a big part of the winter that a promotion/title/cup season would probably mean more.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas
    id love hampshire to win the county championship and i care more about that than ODI's but Test matches will always be the most important and if England players cant play for there counties then that has to be accepted.
    Don't worry. As a Durham fan we are hit hardest by the international duties but unlike some people at the ground I accept it as an inevitable part of the game

Breakout Champion!
    Saints > GB (as long as GB are competetive)
    Everton, Wigan Athletic, Partick Thistle > international football (who gives a crap?)
    Scotland > Domestic yawnion (who gives a crap about yawnion clubs, too?)
    England > counties

Quote Originally Posted by DanielFullard
    Don't worry. As a Durham fan we are hit hardest by the international duties but unlike some people at the ground I accept it as an inevitable part of the game
    I dont even consider Pietersen a Hampshire player, Tremlett is the primary concern but this year shouldnt see a repeat of last season when he spent half the summer as the 12th man in the England squad which i thought really effected his form.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas
    I dont even consider Pietersen a Hampshire player, Tremlett is the primary concern but this year shouldnt see a repeat of last season when he spent half the summer as the 12th man in the England squad which i thought really effected his form.
    Thats the way I look at it too. People down at the ground, usually those in the latter stages of life, always complain and moan about not having Plunkett, Harmison and Collingwood but as I always stress thats not the way to look at it. We need to analyse the team based on what we have not what we haven't

School Boy/Girl Captain TheEpic's Avatar
    I think it's very strange to support a national team over a a club in football. Unless you have no real interest in the sport and only follow England/whoever in major tournaments, which I guess is fair enough, then I consider this really very odd. It's completely different to cricket as Neil said and there is much less allegience to the national side. I'd take Leeds getting promoted anyday over England winning the World Cup as the two are complete polar opposites.

In cricket however, there is much more of a sense that the national side is more of an extension of the county teams. It's basically a separate team in that the regular England players rarely play consistently for their counties anyway and therefore there is much less animosity than in football where a player you may be cheering one week whilst playing for England will be back scoring against your team the next. If I was pushed to choose a county to support I suppose it would be Yorkshire, but I have no particular sadness when they lose.

Basically, football is streets ahead of cricket as my favourite sport, and I guess that may have some impact on my feelings towards club/country.

Football - Leeds
    Cricket - England

I think that's fair enough!
    Ponting is made out of hay. Lolz!

But if you were a member of a County Club and followed them up and down the country would you feel different?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information