Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who'll take the most wickets this year?

State Vice-Captain

Who'll take the most wickets this year?

Yeah it's a stat I enjoy looking at. Who will take the most wickets in a calendar year. Warne's done it five times but really isn't having the best year. I don't know if Sri Lanka play enough tests for Murali to be a chance, and even then there are a few names who are taking wickets like him. People like Kumble... who may be bowling the best of his career. He's a chance. Pollock's a weird one, he's bowling great but without the rewards. I'll tell people in future generations that Polly was better than his stats indicate.

I think the pick right now is the 2003 record holder, Makhaya Ntini. Bowling the best of his career. I'll admit it, I wrote him off as someone who'd never be great because he can't be lbw's. But against the left handers he's a menace. Amazing strike bowler these days. I don't know how many wickets he's gotten this year but I bet it's a few.

State Vice-Captain
    Yeah I just checked, 38 wickets from 6 tests this year. He's my pick!

Kumble may have more... I can't be bothered checking right now.

Ntini is a fantastic bowler and undoubtedly one of the worlds best at this moment. Not sure if he will take the most wickets though.Warne must go close
    Durham CCC Membership Holder
    Hartlepool CC Regular
    Peterlee CC Regular

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Australia have a fairly barren year in test cricket. In 2004 Australia played 13 tests, and in 2005 they played 15. In 2006, Australia will play just 10, so I doubt Warne or Lee will manage the record. Ntini is a good shot, and Matthew Hoggard could also go close.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Incidentally, the guys with over 20 at the moment are:

Ntini - 29 @ 19.66
    Muralitharan - 27 @ 18.59
    Warne - 26 @ 31.69
    Asif - 25 @ 16.48
    Kumble - 25 @ 43.88 (!)
    Lee - 23 @ 27.43
    Clark - 21 @ 18.76

Hoggard is a bit far off the pace at the moment with 13 @ 17.85, while Flintoff has 11, but both have a whole English summer ahead of them plus four Ashes tests before the year ends. Asif is obviously a chance.

State Vice-Captain
    Nope. Warne has 20 wickets from five tests. He isn't close. I doubt he'll come close either.
    I don't know why people are still saying Warne is one of the best in the world... I mean he sort of is, but he's not bowling anywhere near as good as he was last year. The odd thing is people don't seem to be noticing it and are pretending like he's still going awesome.

Against South Africa Warne was a genius over the years. In his last six tests against SA, however, he hasn't done nearly as well. At times he's looked sore and overbowled and even misused at times by Pointing. He's still quality, and Australia wouldn't have won that second test in SA without him in the second innings. But yeah I can't figure out why people can't see he's not playing his best these days.

I'd personally like him to retire in 2009 in England at the Ashes... but I have a feeling he might retire after these Ashes because he really isn't what he was last year. He's starting to look old and worn out and overused... and fair enough. Has there ever been a bowler to play so many tests?

Warne's played six tests this year, and he actually has 28 wickets. The list I posted above is slightly out of date, as it doesn't take into account today's play where he took two more.

Anyway, I think it's a bit harsh to say Warne is suddenly past it. He had arguably the best series of his career less than a year ago, and just a couple of weeks ago he bowled brilliantly to take 6 against South Africa and win the game. Since the Ashes he's looked a bit worn out at times, but he had played a lot of cricket in a short time and now he has a few months off to get back to his best. Furthermore, in the last few months Warne has regained his wrong'un, which he couldn't bowl for many years, and he's working on the flipper as well and has bowled a few of them. There's no reason he can't return to the heights of last year again, and I'd give him more than half a dozen tests before writing him off.

State Vice-Captain
    It's tough to say. 28 wickets from 6 tests is good and all, but at an average of 30 imples two things.

1. He bowling more overs than ever
    2. He's going for a little more runs

And I'm seeing it a lot. You see him rubbing his shoulder a lot these days, in SA and Bangladesh.

Don't get me wrong, he can come back and historically you'd bet on it. I mean he reannounced himself to the world at the 1999 world cup. Then when people said he was down again, he took over 30 wickets in the 2001 Ashes. Then people said his career was over when he was banned, he comes back and takes 26 wickets in three test in Sri Lanka. Then people like Hussien are saying he's over the hill and he takes 40 wickets in the Ashes.

I mean he's such an captivating character that you'd bet on him coming good again...

But just recently he can't shoulder the huge responsibility... or so it seems. He looks pretty beaten up.

Ntini is the obvious choice, but I'll take a punt on Asif. I'm not sure how many tests Pakistan other than the series with England though so it depends on their home season.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Warne's played six tests this year, and he actually has 28 wickets. The list I posted above is slightly out of date, as it doesn't take into account today's play where he took two more.

Anyway, I think it's a bit harsh to say Warne is suddenly past it. He had arguably the best series of his career less than a year ago, and just a couple of weeks ago he bowled brilliantly to take 6 against South Africa and win the game. Since the Ashes he's looked a bit worn out at times, but he had played a lot of cricket in a short time and now he has a few months off to get back to his best. Furthermore, in the last few months Warne has regained his wrong'un, which he couldn't bowl for many years, and he's working on the flipper as well and has bowled a few of them. There's no reason he can't return to the heights of last year again, and I'd give him more than half a dozen tests before writing him off.
    Agreed. I think that they have to bowl him smartly, he's stll a gem and his repertoire is inflating again and couple that with the adaptability he had to variate the few bowls he did possess...well there is a reason why I still think he's the best. Not sure if he'll get the most this year, but I do pick Ntini to do so. I also think if Warne maintains his fitness coupled with smart usage he can play till 2009, let's just hope he still wants to play that long.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I'd reckon if Pakistan have a few Tests (haven't checked) in Oct, Nov time, Asif's a decent guess.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

1) Asif 2) Kumble 3) Ntini

Asif could shine in England.
    Kumble could wreck the Windies lineup.
    Ntini is on fire at the moment.

You would have to fancy Makhaya Ntini, two more test against New Zealand on wickets which are unbelievable good for pace bowlers, then a three test match series with Sri Lanka, followed by India at home, two series in which Ntini should do well in.

Mohammad Asif could push him with the four test's against England but other than that Pakistan will only be taking on the West Indies at Christmas, with the Zimbabwe series being axed because of Zimbabwe losing their test status.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Kumble could wreck the Windies lineup..
    3 wickets in 2 Tests last time around...

I'm backing Ntini, with Flintoff in second.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Not sure if Warne increasing his repetoire (sp) is necessarily a good thing. Especially if he lands his rediscovered variations like has been against Bangladesh.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information