• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket Comes to Wales.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Only this time last week was I talking to the Durham team who were leading the Ashes bid down at the Riverside and their was real confidence amongst them. I signed the bat and we were talking for a good hour and todays news is a body blow. At least we got the consolation prize of a West Indies test.

Annoying that it has went ot Wales which had the least logical bid of them all. There is no reason for it to go there. Durham had a great set of reason and had a great bid on the table and for them just to ingore us in favour of an inferior Cricket Ground as well as an inferior reasoning is very annoying.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Be thankful, all ye who have a Test-quality ground - the chances of Test cricket ever coming to Taunton are just short of zero. :p

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is a dump like Headingley ahead of Riverside? Why do the taffs get to leapfrog the Riverside who had to put up with Tests against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh?

It's not even a case of sharing Ashes Tests between various grounds over a number of years. Disgraceful.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
DanielFullard said:
Only this time last week was I talking to the Durham team who were leading the Ashes bid down at the Riverside and their was real confidence amongst them. I signed the bat and we were talking for a good hour and todays news is a body blow. At least we got the consolation prize of a West Indies test.

Annoying that it has went ot Wales which had the least logical bid of them all. There is no reason for it to go there. Durham had a great set of reason and had a great bid on the table and for them just to ingore us in favour of an inferior Cricket Ground as well as an inferior reasoning is very annoying.
If they upgrade why shouldn't it go there? It is a shame for your mob though.

Scaly piscine

Pedro Delgado said:
If they upgrade why shouldn't it go there? It is a shame for your mob though.
They don't even have the ground ready yet, they didn't get lumped with the crap Tests like England v Zimbabwe and England v Bangladesh - they skipped straight to the best fixture any ground could get, England v Australia. There's no way that's fair.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Because even when they upgrade they wouldn't have a patch on the ground we would have by 2009. But its about more than that. Its about the wider aims and benefits of the proposal and Durhams bid was far superior in that sense

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Absolutely farcical.

How Old Trafford and Trent Bridge are left out is one thing, let alone ignoring Durham.

The only thing I can think of is that it's an attempt to worry them again, since Cardiff was the scene of *that* match!

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
I really don't see how on earth Cardiffs bid got it!!

Although someone on the BBC boards has just mentioned that the Chariman of the Team selecting the venues used to be...wait for it.....Chairman of Glamorgan!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
For me its an absolutely farcical decision, to give Cardiff an Ashes test out of the blue, based on some proposed redevelopment plan which faces huge opposition from local residents and hasn't even begun defies belief. Fine to give Cardiff encouragment to develop into a test venue, but let them start the building first and then give them a less prestigous test match to start with.

I can understand Old Trafford missing out to an extent because the ground isn't in the best state, even if its not our turn to miss out on the rotation policy, but i'd have expected it to be Durham or Hampshire that took our spot not Cardiff.

Something must be going on behind the scenes imo, its just not a logical thing to happen

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm going down to the Riverside on Wednesday for the first home game against Lancs and I expect it to be all the talk in the usual place. I might pop up for a bit see what they are saying. But as I said they were confident when I talked to them last week so this a huge blow.

Pothas

dreadfull news for Hampshire as well Rod Brasgrove seems to have taken it as a personal insult that the Rose Bowl has yet to be awarded a test match and has said that "I have to consider whether this has become personal and if it is beneficial for Hampshire to have me around."
If he leaves it would be an absolute diaster for everyone concerned with Hampshire

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
I honestly didn't think Hampshire felt they had such a chance. I was led to believe that everyone concerned was of the belief Durham would get the match

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
DanielFullard said:
I honestly didn't think Hampshire felt they had such a chance. I was led to believe that everyone concerned was of the belief Durham would get the match
yes but this wasn't just about the Ashes tests, Hampshire were looking to be given Category A status, which means they can host tests, Bransgrove himself said he wasn't looking for a scheduled tests, just an indication from the ECB that they can host tests in future, and that they could have attached conditions concerning improvements in the pitch etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DanielFullard said:
I really don't see how on earth Cardiffs bid got it!!

Although someone on the BBC boards has just mentioned that the Chariman of the Team selecting the venues used to be...wait for it.....Chairman of Glamorgan!
David Morgan (the current ECB chairman) did used to be Glam chairman for a long time.
I somehow doubt that made much difference, however.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pothas said:
dreadfull news for Hampshire as well Rod Brasgrove seems to have taken it as a personal insult that the Rose Bowl has yet to be awarded a test match and has said that "I have to consider whether this has become personal and if it is beneficial for Hampshire to have me around."
If he leaves it would be an absolute diaster for everyone concerned with Hampshire
Really, until The Rose Bowl produces consistent amounts of pitches of even bounce I don't see that it deserves ODIs, never mind Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Sophia Gardens to stage an Ashes Test in 2009 (if they upgrade) with Old Trafford and the Riverside missing out. Great news I think, not for Durham or some Manc folk of course.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4921718.stm
It's quite remarkable to think that we're on-track for a India-and-Pakistan-like situation, rather than the time-honoured 6-ground Test format which is also used in Australia and mostly in South Africa.
Especially given Lord's will still presumably have 2 Tests a year, it'll mean there are many grounds who'll go a year or 2 without a Test.
We're on track for - before long - Lord's, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, Headingley, The Oval, Old Trafford, Sophia Gardens, The Riverside and The Rose Bowl to be Test grounds.
Then grounds like The St.Lawrence and Nevill Road staging ODIs, too.

pskov

International 12th Man
Richard said:
It's quite remarkable to think that we're on-track for a India-and-Pakistan-like situation, rather than the time-honoured 6-ground Test format which is also used in Australia and mostly in South Africa.
Especially given Lord's will still presumably have 2 Tests a year, it'll mean there are many grounds who'll go a year or 2 without a Test.
We're on track for - before long - Lord's, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, Headingley, The Oval, Old Trafford, Sophia Gardens, The Riverside and The Rose Bowl to be Test grounds.
Then grounds like The St.Lawrence and Nevill Road staging ODIs, too.
I can only see this as a positive. As long as all the grounds who get Category A status are worthy of it (ECB have already said that the Cardiff test is contingent on the building work geting done) and as long as Lords gets at least one Test a summer, I think it's great. More cricket everywhere for everyone.

Edit: I would also very much be in favour of Lords only getting one Test a summer. I'd say give it only the opening Test of the longer of the two series that year.