Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Cricket Comes to Wales.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar

Test Cricket Comes to Wales.

Sophia Gardens to stage an Ashes Test in 2009 (if they upgrade) with Old Trafford and the Riverside missing out. Great news I think, not for Durham or some Manc folk of course.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4921718.stm
    Last edited by Pedro Delgado; 20-04-2006 at 09:17 AM.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Only this time last week was I talking to the Durham team who were leading the Ashes bid down at the Riverside and their was real confidence amongst them. I signed the bat and we were talking for a good hour and todays news is a body blow. At least we got the consolation prize of a West Indies test.

Annoying that it has went ot Wales which had the least logical bid of them all. There is no reason for it to go there. Durham had a great set of reason and had a great bid on the table and for them just to ingore us in favour of an inferior Cricket Ground as well as an inferior reasoning is very annoying.
    Durham CCC Membership Holder
    Hartlepool CC Regular
    Peterlee CC Regular

Breakout Champion!
    Booo! How dare they jib OT

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Be thankful, all ye who have a Test-quality ground - the chances of Test cricket ever coming to Taunton are just short of zero.

Why is a dump like Headingley ahead of Riverside? Why do the taffs get to leapfrog the Riverside who had to put up with Tests against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh?

It's not even a case of sharing Ashes Tests between various grounds over a number of years. Disgraceful.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielFullard
    Only this time last week was I talking to the Durham team who were leading the Ashes bid down at the Riverside and their was real confidence amongst them. I signed the bat and we were talking for a good hour and todays news is a body blow. At least we got the consolation prize of a West Indies test.

Annoying that it has went ot Wales which had the least logical bid of them all. There is no reason for it to go there. Durham had a great set of reason and had a great bid on the table and for them just to ingore us in favour of an inferior Cricket Ground as well as an inferior reasoning is very annoying.
    If they upgrade why shouldn't it go there? It is a shame for your mob though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    If they upgrade why shouldn't it go there? It is a shame for your mob though.
    They don't even have the ground ready yet, they didn't get lumped with the crap Tests like England v Zimbabwe and England v Bangladesh - they skipped straight to the best fixture any ground could get, England v Australia. There's no way that's fair.

Because even when they upgrade they wouldn't have a patch on the ground we would have by 2009. But its about more than that. Its about the wider aims and benefits of the proposal and Durhams bid was far superior in that sense

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Absolutely farcical.

How Old Trafford and Trent Bridge are left out is one thing, let alone ignoring Durham.

The only thing I can think of is that it's an attempt to worry them again, since Cardiff was the scene of *that* match!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I really don't see how on earth Cardiffs bid got it!!

Although someone on the BBC boards has just mentioned that the Chariman of the Team selecting the venues used to be...wait for it.....Chairman of Glamorgan!

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    For me its an absolutely farcical decision, to give Cardiff an Ashes test out of the blue, based on some proposed redevelopment plan which faces huge opposition from local residents and hasn't even begun defies belief. Fine to give Cardiff encouragment to develop into a test venue, but let them start the building first and then give them a less prestigous test match to start with.

I can understand Old Trafford missing out to an extent because the ground isn't in the best state, even if its not our turn to miss out on the rotation policy, but i'd have expected it to be Durham or Hampshire that took our spot not Cardiff.

Something must be going on behind the scenes imo, its just not a logical thing to happen

I'm going down to the Riverside on Wednesday for the first home game against Lancs and I expect it to be all the talk in the usual place. I might pop up for a bit see what they are saying. But as I said they were confident when I talked to them last week so this a huge blow.

dreadfull news for Hampshire as well Rod Brasgrove seems to have taken it as a personal insult that the Rose Bowl has yet to be awarded a test match and has said that "I have to consider whether this has become personal and if it is beneficial for Hampshire to have me around."
    If he leaves it would be an absolute diaster for everyone concerned with Hampshire

I honestly didn't think Hampshire felt they had such a chance. I was led to believe that everyone concerned was of the belief Durham would get the match

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielFullard
    I honestly didn't think Hampshire felt they had such a chance. I was led to believe that everyone concerned was of the belief Durham would get the match
    yes but this wasn't just about the Ashes tests, Hampshire were looking to be given Category A status, which means they can host tests, Bransgrove himself said he wasn't looking for a scheduled tests, just an indication from the ECB that they can host tests in future, and that they could have attached conditions concerning improvements in the pitch etc.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information