• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket Comes to Wales.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Wales have got their own team, Glamorgan.

We just kidnap Simon Jones now and again.
Not to mention Croft in bygone days...
And James twice.
And Maynard 4 times plus some ODIs...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Why are England called England? First of all they nick players from Scotland and Wales, (albeit Croft, Jones and Hamilton) now they are playing internationals there too!

Wouldn't mind South Africa popping over the border and poaching Heath Streak. Maybe if things got tight we could nab Andries Burger too!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Why are England called England? First of all they nick players from Scotland and Wales, (albeit Croft, Jones and Hamilton) now they are playing internationals there too!
England are clearly England And Wales and always have been (even if the Board name's only recently been amended to reflect that).
Glamorgan have always been part of the "English" domestic competitions every bit as much as have Middlesex, Surrey or Yorks.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Why does that matter?
The team they play for is based in Wales.
You were suggesting we kidnapped them to play for England, the country of their birth.

You could've had Hugh Morris, Steve Watkin or Greg Thomas of recent memory, but I don't think anyone would suggest we're being unduly unfair to Glamorgan by selecting Englishmen who happen to play for them!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
You were suggesting we kidnapped them to play for England, the country of their birth.
Honestly, you and this mudblood line. 8-)
I wasn't the one making the "kidnap" (which was TIC anyawy) suggestion, I was merely replying (equally TIC) to it.
Could you please get it into your head that it isn't remotely relevant where someone was born as to what is their country? What matters is their choice - if someone wants to be British (I'm always much more in favour of Britain than "England" anyway) I don't really give a damn where they were born or what country their parents root for - they're as British as you or me as far as I'm concerned.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I wasn't the one making the "kidnap" (which was TIC anyawy) suggestion, I was merely replying (equally TIC) to it.
Could you please get it into your head that it isn't remotely relevant where someone was born as to what is their country? What matters is their choice - if someone wants to be British (I'm always much more in favour of Britain than "England" anyway) I don't really give a damn where they were born or what country their parents root for - they're as British as you or me as far as I'm concerned.
FCOL Richard, so that means we're kidnapping Beckham from Madrid to play for England?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Yeah, you'd think I'd have got that, wouldn't you? 8-)

But as I'm utterly devoid of a sense of humour or irony, thanks for pointing it out. & you just stopped short of accusing me of being some kind of little Englander exclusionist. Thanks again.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Yeah, you'd think I'd have got that, wouldn't you? 8-)

But as I'm utterly devoid of a sense of humour or irony, thanks for pointing it out. & you just stopped short of accusing me of being some kind of little Englander exclusionist. Thanks again.
Unusual for Richard to go half measures with anything.

He must like you. ;)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Not really. Bearing in mind the fact that England and Wales have always been one and the same in cricketing terms (Glamorgan have been part of an "English" competition since 1921[?]) Wales' cricketing well is shallower considerably than Ireland and Scotland's.
This is a subject I have written on many times over the years (sort of a goto subject) and there is no reason for them not to have their own team.

To say that Scotland and Ireland have considerably deeper cricketing wells than Wales is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Its not even close and Wales would be a stronger team than Bang and Zim if they entered test and ODI cricket right now. Argue if you want but I honestly believe that this must be the next wave of expansion.

Also the reason Glamorgan have been competring in the CC since 1921 rather than Scot or Ire is that there is a considerable cricketing culture in Wales that the others cannot meet.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Why does that matter?
The team they play for is based in Wales.
David Beckham and Jonathon Woodgate play for a team based in Spain.

Are they Spanish now then?