Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: Best Ever Fielding XI

  1. #16
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    So
    Simpson
    Taylor
    Ponting
    Mark Waugh
    Rhodes
    Collingwood
    Botham
    Symonds
    Tallon
    Warne
    Lee


    Handy in the cover/point region, is Melbourne lord mayor John So...
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  2. #17
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    LOL! John So is a legend.

    When he showed up at Big Day Out and said something like "Rock On" on stage, the crowd's roar was unbelievable.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  3. #18
    State 12th Man Autobahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    716
    If you're not having a batsmen-keeper, then why not have Bob Taylor or George Duckworth?

  4. #19
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Jack Russell for keeper.
    Ekanth Solkar at short leg.


  5. #20
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands
    Posts
    29,567
    Can't believe Trevor Penney hasn't been mentioned!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  6. #21
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Clive Lloyd
    Viv Richards
    Roger Harper
    Gus Logie
    Gary Sobers
    Jonty Rhodes
    Mohammed Kaif
    Eknath Solkar
    Colin Bland
    Michael Bevan
    Mark Taylor

  7. #22
    School Boy/Girl Captain kwigibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    194
    Michael Bevan? Butterfingers McThrowslikeagirl does not warrant a place in this team.

  8. #23
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    He wouldn't make the all-time side, but I'd like to point out that Ian Bell regularly catches flies at short leg for England.

  9. #24
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,957
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Clive Lloyd
    Viv Richards
    Roger Harper
    Gus Logie
    Gary Sobers
    Jonty Rhodes
    Mohammed Kaif
    Eknath Solkar
    Colin Bland
    Michael Bevan
    Mark Taylor
    Michael Bevan and Mohammad Kaif ahead of Ricky Ponting? You can't be serious. The only player who has consistently matched Ponting for ground fielding throughout his career is Jonty Rhodes. Bevan was a quick runner but a crap fielder. In fact his poor fielding was one of the major reasons he was eventually dropped from the Australian team. He was a mediocre catcher and had a shocking arm.

    Mark Waugh as the most prolific slip fielder of all time certainly deserves a look-in ahead of the like of Richards as well, as would Walter Hammond.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

  10. #25
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,158
    Quote Originally Posted by kwigibo
    Michael Bevan? Butterfingers McThrowslikeagirl does not warrant a place in this team.

  11. #26
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Michael Bevan and Mohammad Kaif ahead of Ricky Ponting? You can't be serious. The only player who has consistently matched Ponting for ground fielding throughout his career is Jonty Rhodes. Bevan was a quick runner but a crap fielder. In fact his poor fielding was one of the major reasons he was eventually dropped from the Australian team. He was a mediocre catcher and had a shocking arm.

    Mark Waugh as the most prolific slip fielder of all time certainly deserves a look-in ahead of the like of Richards as well, as would Walter Hammond.
    __
    I concede on Bevan but you are billing Ponting rather highly. Yes, he's an awesome fielder but fielders like Gibbs, Kaif, etc. are consistently better groundfielders than Ponting. Handily so IMO.
    And Mark Waugh deserves a spot- but not ahead of Viv. Viv was a very very good slip fielder- one of the best- but his groundfielding leaves Junior in the dust.
    If Junior gets in, then Taylor gets out - those are the only two 'slipper only' fielders in my list and i do believe that Taylor was a better slipper than Junior
    So i guess i would drop Bevo and slot Gibbs in.

  12. #27
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    I concede on Bevan but you are billing Ponting rather highly. Yes, he's an awesome fielder but fielders like Gibbs, Kaif, etc. are consistently better groundfielders than Ponting. Handily so IMO.
    And Mark Waugh deserves a spot- but not ahead of Viv. Viv was a very very good slip fielder- one of the best- but his groundfielding leaves Junior in the dust.
    If Junior gets in, then Taylor gets out - those are the only two 'slipper only' fielders in my list and i do believe that Taylor was a better slipper than Junior
    So i guess i would drop Bevo and slot Gibbs in.
    I cant see Gibbs or kaif as being better ground fielders than Ponting I am afraid
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,957
    Gibbs isn't even in the same league as Ponting as a fielder. In fact, the likes of Collingwood, Symonds, Clarke, Bravo, Kaif, Dilshan and so on are better than Gibbs as well, who is on the second tier of fielders in world cricket. You only have to look at the fact that Andrew Symonds is almost universally ranked as the best fielder in the world right now when Gibbs is still playing, and that the main competitors to Symonds are Ponting and the guys I mentioned above.

    The general state of play with ground fielders in the mid to late 90s was that Rhodes was the best overall, but Ponting only a shade behind. Rhodes let less runs past, but Ponting was more adept at hitting the stumps, which is something he has arguably done more frequently than any test player in history. Ponting is also very versatile, and can field in a number of positions other than point/cover, including the slips where he is quite solid.

    I don't necessarily think that Ponting warrants a place in an all-time fielding side, but if you're picking as many ground fielders as that, and including the likes of Gibbs and Kaif, well Ponting is a no brainer as he's comfortably a better fielder than both, even now when he's declined a bit from earlier in his career.

    Regarding Waugh, you're right that Taylor (much like Warne, Botham and so on) was a slip-only fielder, but Mark Waugh certainly wasn't. In fact he often fielded outside of the slips for Australia with huge success, particularly in one day cricket. He was a better slip fielder than in other positions, but only because he was such an amazingly good slipper. He certainly wasn't far off the best around cover or midwicket.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 21-04-2006 at 01:11 PM.

  14. #29
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Gibbs isn't even in the same league as Ponting as a fielder. In fact, the likes of Collingwood, Symonds, Clarke, Bravo, Kaif, Dilshan and so on are better than Gibbs as well, who is on the second tier of fielders in world cricket. You only have to look at the fact that Andrew Symonds is almost universally ranked as the best fielder in the world right now when Gibbs is still playing, and that the main competitors to Symonds are Ponting and the guys I mentioned above.

    The general state of play with ground fielders in the mid to late 90s was that Rhodes was the best overall, but Ponting only a shade behind. Rhodes let less runs past, but Ponting was more adept at hitting the stumps, which is something he has arguably done more frequently than any test player in history. Ponting is also very versatile, and can field in a number of positions other than point/cover, including the slips where he is quite solid.

    I don't necessarily think that Ponting warrants a place in an all-time fielding side, but if you're picking as many ground fielders as that, and including the likes of Gibbs and Kaif, well Ponting is a no brainer as he's comfortably a better fielder than both, even now when he's declined a bit from earlier in his career.

    Regarding Waugh, you're right that Taylor (much like Warne, Botham and so on) was a slip-only fielder, but Mark Waugh certainly wasn't. In fact he often fielded outside of the slips for Australia with huge success, particularly in one day cricket. He was a better slip fielder than in other positions, but only because he was such an amazingly good slipper. He certainly wasn't far off the best around cover or midwicket.

    Err i disagree.
    I think Gibbs is a better overall fielder than Ponting and back in the 90s, Gibbs and Rhodes were an echelon above the rest. And Kaif most definately is a better ground-fielder than Ponting. Waugh was an ecellent slipper and decent outside off it but he wasnt anything like Viv - who was almost as good a catcher as Waugh but far and away better practically anywhere else.

    Lloyd-Viv-Harper-Logie-Sobers-Solkar-Rhodes-Bland are definately locks for an alltime XI fielding side. I would be inclined to include Kaif over Ponting, Taylor over Waugh(because Waugh wasnt good enough to field around the ground in a team like this- he was good at covers but Lloyd/Bland are a level above at that position but taylor was a good enough slipper to deserve his spot) and Gibbs to round off the XI.

  15. #30
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    I couldn't see anywhere where this had been done recently - though I'm sure its been done. The third paceman was difficult - I had a mental blank about any quicks who can actually field aside from Flintoff and Lee - no doubt someone can suggest something.

    Bob Simpson
    Mark Taylor
    Ricky Ponting
    Mark Waugh
    Jonty Rhodes (c)
    Andrew Flintoff
    Andrew Symonds
    Don Tallon (wk)
    Shane Warne
    Brett Lee
    Another decent fielding quick.

    Fielding coach: Philip Tufnel

    A slips cordon of Simpson, Taylor, Warne and Waugh, with Tallon keeping woud be pretty damn imposing - not much is going down there.
    Since I have never seen anyone play before 1982, I am going to choose my 11 based on the teams/players that i have seen over the past 24 years.

    Clive Lloyd
    Mark Waugh
    Jonty Rhodes
    Allan Border
    Mohd. Azharuddin
    Dean Jones
    Jeff Dujon (wk)
    Ian Botham
    Michael Bevan
    Herschelle Gibbs
    Roshan Mahanama

    Special mention goes to
    Ricky Ponting, Michale Hussey, Yuvraj Singh, Imran Farhat, Paul Collingwood, Mohd. Kaif, Hansie Cronje, Shoaib Mohammed, Ajay Jadeja, Andrew Symonds, Suresh Raina, Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Tilakratne Dilshan, Hashan Tilakratne etc.

    Edit: Damn this is actually meant for a team of 11 players, while i was concentrating on 11 players that i thought were the best fielders...hmmm ok this is the team

    M.Waugh,
    H.Gibbs,
    D. Jones,
    M. Azharuddin,
    C.Lloyd (C)
    J.Rhohdes
    G.Mathews (pretty good spinner, handy batsmen and a pretty good fielder)
    I.Botham
    J.Dujon (wk)
    C.McDermott (know, I know he wasn't anywhere in the above list but he had one of the best arms in outfield)
    C.Ambrose (another exclusion in my prev list, but I need a bowler who can field)
    Last edited by kvemuri; 21-04-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Fielding XI
    By LongHopCassidy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 05:36 PM
  2. Worst team fielding in a test innings
    By Zinzan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 02:34 AM
  3. Has Pontings Fielding been effected by Captaincy
    By Slats4ever in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 31-01-2005, 10:10 PM
  4. Best fielding side?
    By Kimbo in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 23-12-2002, 02:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •