• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are the steps required to play Top Level cricket?

masterblaster

International Captain
If a person is talented enough to play FC cricket and has only played in little club games, what is the process he/she has to undertake to go into top level (fc or international cricket). Who do you have to contact? What school do you have to enrol in? I have found some interesting web sites such as the MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai and teh Australian Institute of Sports Cricket Academy. From my view i think you need to enrol into these schools, train and train and if your good enough the coaches such as Dennis Lillie, Wayne Phillips pass your name along.

Thats my view,
anybody's view is needed!

Thanks

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
from my knowledge of the CBCA (Commonweatlth Bank Cricket Academy) players get selected by the committee, u don't apply..
I know a couple of guys who have been selected, usually they select young players who have represented Australia/or their state at junior levels, or have made early FC debuts, they very rarely pick someone who has yet to have done one of these things...

Other countries may have different selection processes but im pretty sure thats the way the Aussie process goes...
:D:D:D:D

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
To go to the CBCA you must be selected by your State Assocation. Then the CBCA staff will assess you. If you get through all of that, you will be selected to attend the Academy

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
If u are good in New Zealand you will be playing for your representative side or top school side and when u play in games u may not realise it but selectors may be watching. For me to get where I am(Playing top level club cricket in CHCH). I just was noticed playing reps and then at a coaching clinic a new zealnd player asked me if I wanted to play for her team. At these club games that I play canterbury selectors will be watching each game and if they think u are good enough u will be put into canterbury or canterbury under 21s etc... It is all selection and no applying for anything.

masterblaster

International Captain
Tamara, does school cricket count for a lot? Is it pivotal for say selection into a Under 19 or Youth State or Province Team?

Kimbo

International Debutant
School cricket is nothing for girls. I have never played it. I haven't been at a school witha girls cricket team yet.
Like Tamara says, people are scouting, they are evrywhere. They have files on you ... its kind of weird. People you don't know know everything about you. I was quite freaked when i found all this out.
dododododooooo.
chances are, if you are any good, plans have already been made for you.

Anoop

U19 12th Man
School cricket is not much use in my country.

This is how Abey Kuruvilla got to play cricket for India..

He was selected to a district team from School.
He played U-19 Kerala State Team.
He played 2 or 3 FC matches for the senior Kerala team.
He played for the South Zone "All-star!" team.
Spotted by Bombay CA.
He decided to settle in Bombay since a player from Kerala had a smaller than remote chance to play in the national team.
Played for Bombay in Ranji.
At around 26 years old got selected to play for India.

This is quite a rough path.. but some guys are lucky. eg: Parthiv Patel. He hasn't played a single Ranji Trophy match!! and Tinu Yohannan.. he came from Kerala played just 12 or 15 matches for the team and got selected!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I Dont Think school cricket can do a lot for you a) unless you are extremely talented and i mean making big runs all the time and taking a lot of wickets all the time b ) If u are at some big name school then the selectors reckon the person coming out of here has to be good so lets just stick to this school eg the Surrey Bias ...

I Know for me ive been performing a lot at school but our school is no where got a big name therefore im not given that much of a chance to get better or wake up what might be in me ,

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
If you live in a minor county like Shropshire you get no recognition at all, most young players find it hard enough to get picked in a village 3rd XI because the captain often picks his friends, the best you can do is impress in the nets at one of the county league clubs and maybe get picked but there are some really good players who would do well for most counties in the Shropshire squad, its just that most of them are farmers and rarely have time to take off to play, Shropshire is really a dead end zone to play if I was trying to get into the county game I would go to one of the counties nearby like Warwickshire and Nottinghamshire and Worcester. I play for the Disabled County XI but strangely not a village team, and all I've got is Dispraxia :D (messes around with my bowling and I get injured quite a bit from muscle groups not working together) the competition is still damn hard though but its the only games I can get now!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
If you live in a minor county like Shropshire you get no recognition at all, most young players find it hard enough to get picked in a village 3rd XI because the captain often picks his friends, the best you can do is impress in the nets at one of the county league clubs and maybe get picked but there are some really good players who would do well for most counties in the Shropshire squad, its just that most of them are farmers and rarely have time to take off to play, Shropshire is really a dead end zone to play if I was trying to get into the county game I would go to one of the counties nearby like Warwickshire and Nottinghamshire and Worcester. I play for the Disabled County XI but strangely not a village team, and all I've got is Dispraxia :D (messes around with my bowling and I get injured quite a bit from muscle groups not working together) the competition is still damn hard though but its the only games I can get now!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh and to get into the county squad here you usually have to train with one of the major teams or go to the local boys boarding school, strangely they are all blonde and blue eyed and either stylish openers or cloned nasty fasties...I suppose I don't fit the bill, Im tall and dark! (But with dyed reddish hair...I am trying my best to fit in! :P)

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think that school cricket does count for a bit if your school is quite good. In New Zealand there is a tournment every year containing every school that wants to play called the 'yoplait cup'(for girls). They play in zones and then at the end of each year the top 4 teams in New Zealand will play against each other. I have been to watch at one of these games and selectors are everywhere. This is similar to rep cricket though.

As for what Rik was saying about it being tough if u are from a minor county. I agree with this alot.. I am from a small town in South canterbury and in south canterbury no selector come to watch. This is exactly why I have to travel 3 and a half hours each way to play cricket and get practise. And now that all the top players from here are doing that, the competition is really bad with players pulling out because they don't get to play top players or good players. And young girls are having to play with boys and they lose interest quickly because they feel left out.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And here we are, we've hit on a problem endemic to modern market society.

Ability counts for a lot less than what your name is, where you live, what school you go/went to, or how much money you have.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
It's probably lesser in modern society than earlier, but it still poses a barrier to genuine competition.

May I add that it's no different in India?

The problem atleast in my state has to do with the people who select various teams. Now somehow coaches of certain schools/ colleges manage to be on the selection committees. This means that people interested in cricket are asked to make 'sacrifices' from day one. They need to decide between a school close to home, that gives good quality education and where most of their friends go, and a 'cricket school', one in which the authorities don't care whether or not you attend classes if you are in sports. The way they decide on these schools is thus: they look up who's on the selection committee of the league they are shooting for, and see which school they coach in. That's it. This is the case right from school level.

It's happened, for instance, that the team that wins the University level competition (inter collegiate), doesn't have more than a single member in the University eleven team (I've also heard about cases where the top two teams didnt have representation). Getting to play for, say, Madras University is quite a significant achievement.
At this level, there are certain colleges that are 'cricket colleges' - the ones that have traditionally contributed to the team. People in engineering schools for instance won't get anyone in the Univ team. Even amongst the teams that get to dominate representation in the Univ team, fortunes fluctuate depending on which side the sun's shining.

Ofcourse, it's not ALL bad! These things are probably the kind of problems that can't really be sorted out. There are always going to be good players that are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Things are better, they say, nowadays. That has come down from reforms in state level and national level selection, where people are shedding their earlier parochial attitudes.

And then there's another problem (probably specific to India and a few other countries)- giving out false ages. This happens quite a lot in various age group competitions. This malady can often be sighted in various interschool competitions where students who have graduated are sneaked in to try and better the team's chances of victory.

All these things are usually ironed out where it comes to national representation. But forgery of birth certificates and the such at the domestic level must also be curtailed. That's one of the many problems with having so many teams in the circuit.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Originally posted by age_master
the other option in Aus is through clubs - up to 1st grade in NSW, the state etc
Yeah but how many players do you think are trying to do it that way?? I mean there are more players than spots in State squads more often than not!