• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top three bowling attack in the test cricket.

Beleg

International Regular
1. McGrath, Lee, Warne, McGill

2. Harmy, Flintoff, Jones, Hoggard

3. Shoaib, Asif, Rana, Kaneria
4. Pollock, Nel, Ntini, Boje

5. Pathan, Patel, Kumble, Harbajhan

6. Vaas, Murali, Malenga, Bandara
7. Mills, Bond, Vettori, Martin

8. Bradshaw, Best, Collymore, Gayle, ????

9. Murtaza, Rafique, Enamul Haque Jr, Shadat Hossain

adharcric

International Coach
At the moment, Australia have the #1 full-strength attack, with Lee & McGrath forming the best opening attack in the world and Warne providing the extra dimension as a world-class spinner. The fourth option, be it MacGill, Gillespie or Clark, will be vital in the near future because the big 3 aren't on the field together as often nowadays.

England clearly have the #2 full-strength attack and the best pace attack in the world. Hoggard/Harmison/Flintoff/Jones could become one of the all-time greatest pace attacks along with the West Indian attacks of the past. Giles was already the weak link in the attack and not having him could makes matters even worse; it would be interesting to see how Panesar does in the Ashes campaign if Giles is unavailable. The fitness of Harmison and Jones is also key: without them, this attack could fall behind Pakistan and South Africa.

At full-strength, Pakistan rise to the #3 spot. Akhtar and Asif have both shown world-class capability already. Rana or Gul as the 3rd seamer need to be consistent for this attack to thrive. Kaneria is a decent spinner but by no means a leader of an attack like a Warne, Murali or Kumble. The fitness of Akhtar is key ... with him, this opening attack could very well match Lee/McGrath and we've already seen how the whole attack improves when Akhtar is around; without him, it becomes a one-man wrecking crew (Asif).

After that, South Africa are slightly behind only because they don't have a spin threat and Pollock has fallen away. Still, Ntini/Pollock/Nel/Langeveldt/Steyn could well develop into a world-beating attack in years to come (obviously Pollock won't be around, but the rest are talented as well).

India wouldn't usually get ranked this high but right now they are the #5 full-strength attack. On the subcontinent, the world-class spin duo (only rivalled by Warne and MacGill) is a handful. The vital aspect, though, is the emergence of a promising pace attack. As much pace as Pathan has lost, if he sticks to his line and length like he does in ODIs and doesn't slow down further (80 mph should be his goal), he will remain a big threat with the new ball. We all witnessed the talent of Sreesanth and Munaf against England and both are very young with huge upside. How they develop over the next year could thrust India up within the likes of South Africa and Pakistan.

Sri Lanka and New Zealand follow.

In general, we've seen an increase in quality in bowling attacks around the world lately due to a few things ... the England pace success in the Ashes, Mohammad Asif, the Indian pace prospects and the excellence of Brett Lee.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
Err Kallis averages 56 with the bat, while Razzaq averages 28. :)

That's exactlty double. I don't think its fair to call it 'pick-em'.
What's their batting got to do with their bowling? :dry:

On their day, and when Kallis really wants to dig in, they can both be damaging bowlers in test cricket, particularly when the conditions suit them (i.e Razzaq is getting some seam off the pitch allowing him to cut the ball in, Kallis is getting some swing/reverse swing and troubling the batsman). However generally they are merely serviceable change bowlers.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
At the moment, Australia have the #1 full-strength attack, with Lee & McGrath forming the best opening attack in the world and Warne providing the extra dimension as a world-class spinner. The fourth option, be it MacGill, Gillespie or Clark, will be vital in the near future because the big 3 aren't on the field together as often nowadays.

England clearly have the #2 full-strength attack and the best pace attack in the world. Hoggard/Harmison/Flintoff/Jones could become one of the all-time greatest pace attacks along with the West Indian attacks of the past. Giles was already the weak link in the attack and not having him could makes matters even worse; it would be interesting to see how Panesar does in the Ashes campaign if Giles is unavailable. The fitness of Harmison and Jones is also key: without them, this attack could fall behind Pakistan and South Africa.

At full-strength, Pakistan rise to the #3 spot. Akhtar and Asif have both shown world-class capability already. Rana or Gul as the 3rd seamer need to be consistent for this attack to thrive. Kaneria is a decent spinner but by no means a leader of an attack like a Warne, Murali or Kumble. The fitness of Akhtar is key ... with him, this opening attack could very well match Lee/McGrath and we've already seen how the whole attack improves when Akhtar is around; without him, it becomes a one-man wrecking crew (Asif).

After that, South Africa are slightly behind only because they don't have a spin threat and Pollock has fallen away. Still, Ntini/Pollock/Nel/Langeveldt/Steyn could well develop into a world-beating attack in years to come (obviously Pollock won't be around, but the rest are talented as well).

India wouldn't usually get ranked this high but right now they are the #5 full-strength attack. On the subcontinent, the world-class spin duo (only rivalled by Warne and MacGill) is a handful. The vital aspect, though, is the emergence of a promising pace attack. As much pace as Pathan has lost, if he sticks to his line and length like he does in ODIs and doesn't slow down further (80 mph should be his goal), he will remain a big threat with the new ball. We all witnessed the talent of Sreesanth and Munaf against England and both are very young with huge upside. How they develop over the next year could thrust India up within the likes of South Africa and Pakistan.

In general, we've seen an increase in quality in bowling attacks around the world lately due to a few things ... the England pace success in the Ashes, Mohammad Asif, the Indian pace prospects and the excellence of Brett Lee.
top post man you are smoking it.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Asif's a fine bowler, but yeach! McGrath at his best maybe stacks up against the best of any bowler in history. I'd argue there are a few better, because McGrath wasn't always great. But at his best, McGrath was special and could maybe even argue he exploited conditions better than his identical peer in Hadlee (Hadlee is great though).

Beleg

International Regular
eh, Asif is compared to McGrath because he is the standard by which seam bowling and meteronomity in line and length is judged these days.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:
eh, Asif is compared to McGrath because he is the standard by which seam bowling and meteronomity in line and length is judged these days.
The first thing he'll need to do if he wants to have any McGrath-like future is to sort his 'gather' out - he looks exceedingly ragged getting his arm into position in the delivery stride.

Matt79

Global Moderator
My top three are Aust, Eng, SA.

Pakistan has more potential prob that SA, but SA is a much more consistent UNIT.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Australia, England and South Africa... closely followed by Pakistan
then India, NZ and SL

Everyone here seems to be talking about Asif being a great bowler, but we haven't him perform outside the SubContinent so i just can't rate him ahead of Ntini..

The only test match he has played outside the subcontinent is the the test match at SCG against Australia, so not alot can be said about him until he plays a series or two over at England or Australia...

Xuhaib

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
The first thing he'll need to do if he wants to have any McGrath-like future is to sort his 'gather' out - he looks exceedingly ragged getting his arm into position in the delivery stride.
When was the last time you saw him?

Everytime i see him his action looks smoother and smoother. At the time of delivery i admit he looks more like Nel then Mcgrath, but i dont want to believe that there is a theory that in order to be accurate your action should be a carbon copy's of Mcgrath action.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Xuhaib said:

Everytime i see him his action looks smoother and smoother. At the time of delivery i admit he looks more like Nel then Mcgrath, but i dont want to believe that there is a theory that in order to be accurate your action should be a carbon copy's of Mcgrath action.
During the test series v England. It's the only time I've ever seen him but the impression I got was that he was struggling with some part of his action.

I put it down to him just striving for an extra yard of pace.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
During the test series v England. It's the only time I've ever seen him but the impression I got was that he was struggling with some part of his action.

I put it down to him just striving for an extra yard of pace.
That's strange Eddie because Mohammad Asif did not take part in the test series against England though he did blow us away in one of the warm up games and bowled pretty well in the last one day game.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
TT Boy said:
That's strange Eddie because Mohammad Asif did not take part in the test series against England though he did blow us away in one of the warm up games and bowled pretty well in the last one day game.
Could have sworn he got Trescothick on the drive - my mistake. Must have been someone else.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Could have sworn he got Trescothick on the drive - my mistake. Must have been someone else.
Shabbir Ahmed?, his action 'struggled' when bowling the effort ball and he got Trescothick twice in Multan.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
TT Boy said:
Shabbir Ahmed?, his action 'struggled' when bowling the effort ball and he got Trescothick twice in Multan.
Good lord, no.

I'd recognise Shabbir anywhere - makes James Kirtley look smooth, the jerkiest action I've seen in 40 years of watching test cricket.

No, the guy I'm thinking of seemed to just lift his arm very late in his delivery action - the basic action was 'clean' - just looked a little forced.

Maybe it was the friendly, although I thought that was Arafat?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Xuhaib said:

If that was the case, Avishkar Salvi should have been the best bowler now. ;)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
adharcric said:

Post of the week, for me.

I agree completely as well, except that I probably would put New Zealand slightly higher if Bond is fit. A fit Bond with the couple of other decent seamers like Martin and Franklin or Mills along with Vettori and Oram is a pretty decent attack in most conditions.

Xuhaib

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
No you are right that was Asif and it was in the last ODI of that series. I agree with you i was like" Whats all the BIG hype about:mellow: " his action looked really awful, but since then it has really improved and he looks quite compact and in control at the point of delivery.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Xuhaib said:
No you are right that was Asif and it was in the last ODI of that series. I agree with you i was like" Whats all the BIG hype about:mellow: " his action looked really awful, but since then it has really improved and he looks quite compact and in control at the point of delivery.
OK. I saw precious little of the test series anyway but pretty well all the ODI's - must have been that.