• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Fine Line: Would You Walk?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
Not sure. Never really had a chance to. The one time that I think something came up, we were 8 down with two bunnies to come (if they're batting behind me, they're bunnies), and we needed to bat out about fifteen overs to tie it. I was bowled a yorker that hit me right on the foot, dead in front of middle stump, and my bat was nowhere near it in my mind, and I definitely didn't hit it. The umpire laughed off the halfhearted appeal, with everyone but my partner at the other end fairly sure it wasn't out. I almost walked, just because I thought he'd have given it out. But he didn't, and I sure as hell wasn't going to. So I guess no, I wouldn't walk.
IMO you can't walk for an lbw.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
A ridiculous scenario, but yes I would walk without a second thought. You either walk or you don't, walkers walk whatever the situation otherwise what's the point?
:clapping: :notworthy:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Next season I'm not even walking when I'm bowled.

Harbhajan has inspired me.
That truly was a bizarre instance.
To be fair to him, he seemed to genuinely believe that Prior\Jones (can't remeber which game it was and can't be arsed to look) had knocked off the bails.
So he wasn't doing something quite as bad as cheating - he was just accusing someone else of cheating.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
adharcric said:
Surely every cricket aficionado has witnessed or experienced an instance of the umpire getting a call wrong.

As a batsman, you edge the ball and are caught by the keeper but the umpire doesn't signal anything. Keeping the circumstances of the match in mind, do you stay or walk?

On the other hand, a batsman is adjudged LBW but it's obvious to the fielding side that bat was involved. As the captain of the fielding side, do you bring the batsman back or take the gift from the umpire? Do you follow the path of "integrity" even if you're confident that the opposition wouldn't do the same when it was your turn to bat?

Just wondering what your stances are on this issue.
I can honestly say I've never been in the situation.
But everyone knows my stance on the issue.
For me, runs made once you've had a let-off aren't really worth a lot.
If I were a better batsman, I'd feel pretty hollow had I scored a match-turning 66* on a horrible wicket to help my team to a 2-wicket victory off the penultimate ball if I'd known I'd gloved one down leg and stood innocently there. Or, indeed, if I'd been dropped off a sitter at extra-cover, but sadly there's not much I can do about that except run myself out or leave a straight ball, and that really WOULD look odd. :mellow:

adharcric

International Coach
Richard said:
I can honestly say I've never been in the situation.
But everyone knows my stance on the issue.
For me, runs made once you've had a let-off aren't really worth a lot.
If I were a better batsman, I'd feel pretty hollow had I scored a match-turning 66* on a horrible wicket to help my team to a 2-wicket victory off the penultimate ball if I'd known I'd gloved one down leg and stood innocently there. Or, indeed, if I'd been dropped off a sitter at extra-cover, but sadly there's not much I can do about that except run myself out or leave a straight ball, and that really WOULD look odd. :mellow:
Dropped catches are a part of the game. Should a bowler feel bad for taking a wicket off a mistimed heave to deep square leg? After all, the majority of wickets these days come off bad shots rather than awesome balls. Does that invalidate the value of all those wickets?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I've had one chance to walk, and I did without even thinking - that was mostly because it was hot and I was tired, though. I think I'd probably do it again, though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
adharcric said:
Dropped catches are a part of the game. Should a bowler feel bad for taking a wicket off a mistimed heave to deep square leg? After all, the majority of wickets these days come off bad shots rather than awesome balls. Does that invalidate the value of all those wickets?
PLEASE DON'T!

For the love of God please :cry:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Richard, i was just wondering, would you walk if a fielder dropped a catch because you were out on the FC average rule?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never walk here. Although I'm sufficiently crap for it to not be a massive issue.

I think consistency is the key here, either always or never. If one believes it's the right thing to walk the circumstance should not matter.

open365

International Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
What if you get selected for England and face Australia in the World Cup final next year? 2 balls remaining, scores levelled, Australia will win in the case of a tie, you're the #11 batsman. (yes, anderson got dropped) McGrath bowls a good-length delivery and gets a faint edge. You know you should be out but Rudi Koertzen misses it because of the noisy, raucous Bridgetown crowd. The entire English CW community is waiting to either worship or kill you based on what you do. You gonna walk? 8-)
Take this into aco****, if you walked, you would be letting your whole team down on the buggest moment of their lives, i would walk in other situations, but when it emant so much to the team, i just wouldn;t be able to walk back to the dressing room if i;d walked in that situation.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I'd probably not walk, but I've not had a chance to test my theory. It's a bit hard to not walk if you've just missed the ball and the bails are gone or you're stuck in the middle of the pitch when the bails are gone.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
Richard, i was just wondering, would you walk if a fielder dropped a catch because you were out on the FC average rule?
Well - you can't. It's against the rules.
As I say - the only thing you could do would be to deliberately get yourself out the next ball, which would be interpreted as kinda weird.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Never walk here. Although I'm sufficiently crap for it to not be a massive issue.

I think consistency is the key here, either always or never. If one believes it's the right thing to walk the circumstance should not matter.
Never walking is every bit as bad as walking depending on the circumstances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
Take this into aco****, if you walked, you would be letting your whole team down on the buggest moment of their lives, i would walk in other situations, but when it emant so much to the team, i just wouldn;t be able to walk back to the dressing room if i;d walked in that situation.
"aco****"!!!!!!! :laugh::lol::laugh::lol::laugh: :lol::laugh::lol::laugh::lol:
I presume you got the 2nd "c" and the "o" the wrong way around!!!!