• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Fine Line: Would You Walk?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In my experience it escapes all non-walkers. Non-walkers in my experience are batsmen who think they're entitled to whatever good fortune comes their way but should never have any misfortune.
You're probably right.

The thing is, if you continually witter on about "The Spirit of Cricket" and behave like this, you expose yourself to allegations of rank hypocrisy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I presume you're on about Ponting there - yeah, I agree completely, Ponting's biggest failing as a captain (as I've said a few times recently) is his inability to keep his cool when things aren't going his way. This often leads to him making silly statements - including hypocritical ones like his moaning about England's use of sub fielders being against the spirit of the game, along with other various things he considers to be breaching it.

Moaning (or even just expressing disbelief) about Umpiring decisions against you when you're not a walker (walkers have some amount of licence to do so IMO, but even then I never like to see anyone going too far) is one of the worst Spirit-breaches AFAIC. Far, far, far, far worse than having a sub on while you change your shirt or have a glass of water. Or, dare we say it, using something like a mint to improve the quality of your saliva.