• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussey's average - How long do we have to wait?.......

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
........until his batting average is considered extraordinary?

2000 runs?
5000?

I know 1000 odd isn't enough to deteremine where this man stands in history but how many does he have to score?

I say if he's still averaging 75 when he's hit 4000 runs then he's the greatest batsman since Bradman.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I think when his career finishes you will be able to give tag him with greatness or otherwise. Still think he has a ways to go though... as I type this, he has made 1100 runs in his 11th test @ 78

We all know that great test batsmen finish with an average over 50.

Apparently :dry:

Slifer

International Captain
When he faces India away, full strength England attack and full strength Pakistan attack 9home and away) and still maintains his average.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think we can start rating him properly in a year or so. He will have gone through a second summer then, faced England and played a bit more cricket in the subcontinent. Right now in tests we're pretty much judging him on form... he's had four good series in a row now, which is an impressive effort, but if he was to have a quiet Ashes series his average would drop back down to 50 or so.

If in 12 months he's still averaging 70+ in both forms, it will be a phenomenal achievement. Best since Bradman is the sort of thing that will have to wait until after he retires, of course.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I certainly doubt the English attack will trouble him overly in Australia, India in India is a challenge for any batsman though

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In my opinion we have to wait until Hussey retires from cricket to make judgments on how good he was. It will be quite a while after he retires when people start to really put him in perspective with other good or great batsmen. Until then, all we can do is watch.

howardj

International Coach
I think he could be susceptible to being run out.

The way he turns when coming back for the 3rd is a real achilles heal.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I think he could be susceptible to being run out.

The way he turns when coming back for the 3rd is a real achilles heal.
I never knew turning back for a third run could heal a long-dead Greek soldier.

adharcric

International Coach
Only after he faces Kumble, Harbhajan and Murali in the subcontinent, the Flintoff-Harmison-Hoggard-Jones and Akhtar-Asif-Rana attacks on seaming pitches and gets to 5000 runs at an average above 55. :)

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
adharcric said:
Only after he faces Kumble, Harbhajan and Murali in the subcontinent, the Flintoff-Harmison-Hoggard-Jones and Akhtar-Asif-Rana attacks on seaming pitches and gets to 5000 runs at an average above 55. :)
No mean feet...(to carry it on a little).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Has any batsman in the world done that yet?

howardj

International Coach
Bazza Richards reckons he found a chink in the Hussey armour during the just-completed tour of South Africa. He reckons if you bowl it reasonably full and swing it back into him (like Agarkar to Langer) you're a huge chance. In the only innings in South Africa when he opened the batting, one of the bowlers did just that before he'd reached double figures. The umpire, inexplicably, gave it not out though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Bazza Richards reckons he found a chink in the Hussey armour during the just-completed tour of South Africa. He reckons if you bowl it reasonably full and swing it back into him (like Agarkar to Langer) you're a huge chance. In the only innings in South Africa when he opened the batting, one of the bowlers did just that before he'd reached double figures. The umpire, inexplicably, gave it not out though.
Pretty much any left hander will get out to deliveries like that sometimes. Hussey has opened the batting in county cricket with huge success for long enough that I reckon he can handle inswingers. Obviously he'll get out to them sometimes, but I'd be surprised if it was a major weakness.

Hussey does get out to full, wide deliveries from time to time, edging them behind. A weakness only matters if it stops you making a lot of runs, though.